Home | About | Donate

Brazil Impeachment Brings to Mind Thailand's 2014 Military Coup

Brazil Impeachment Brings to Mind Thailand's 2014 Military Coup

Gwynne Dyer

Q: What’s the difference between the coup that overthrew the elected government in Thailand in Thailand in 2014 and the coup that has now removed the elected government in Brazil?

A: The coup-makers in Thailand wore uniforms.

The Brazilian Senate has just voted 55 to 22 to impeach President Dilma Rousseff. She will be suspended for the next 180 days while the same body tries her on the charge of understating the size of the budget deficit before the last election.

This is very true and pertinent:

"The economy certainly is in a terrible mess – in each of the last two years it has shrunk by 4 percent, one-tenth of the population is unemployed, and inflation is exploding – but every big commodity-exporting country has been in the same mess since the global financial crash of 2008. The demand for their exports simply collapsed."

I'd like to see some verifiable statistics on Brazil's actual breakdown by class and race. The following quote could have been written by John Ellis:

"The white half of the population is mostly prosperous, the “pardo”(mixed-race) and black half mostly poor."

Dyer's figures are pretty close. Quick web search:

From Wikipedia on Brazil Demographics: @ 48% white, 7% black, 43% pardo.

And see Wikipedia page on Social Apartheid in Brazil.

See they at least get to elect a candidate before the powers that be take her down whereas we prevent a people's candidate from ever being elected in the first place. Call what they have done to Bernie a preemptive pre-election take down using the rigged game and status quo dirty tricks etc.

See much difference anyone?

Are neoliberalism and democracy comparable. I think Brazil got water boarded bu the neoliberal financial system.

Braszil, Greece, Portugal...the list goes on.

Neoliberalism enables fascism as it erodes democracy.

He got the Thailand shirts reversed. The Yellows supported the elites.
The Reds supported the rural poor.

The article contains some untruths. No, Brazil did not go down following the 2008 financial crisis. In 2009 and 2010 Brazil was one of the BRICs (later BRICS) lauded for their strong economies. Brazil failed in the last two or three years when China failed, and stopped importing commodities from Brazil. (Same things is happening to Australia.)
Gwynne Dyer wrote in the article "But while she might done better at managing the crisis, in a democracy political questions like this are normally settled by elections, not by impeachment."
-- Start by asking how many Brazilian Congresspersons are members of her Workers Party? When was the last election of Congress?
-- Then note the no-mention of the type of Democracy in Brazil, a Presidential Republic. If Brazil had a European style Parliament and Prime Minister, then she would have lost a vote of no confidence and been replaced, perhaps after a called election, much like left-wing Greek PM George Papandreou of PASOK in 2011. A few years later replaced by Andreas Tsipras of the more left-wing SYRIZA party. As it is, Brazil's Congress has to impeach her.
As my own comment, I see a resemblance here to Venezuela's impeachment of President Carlos Andres Perez in the middle of economic depression in 1993. That didn't really solve things, and five years later Venezuelans elected Hugo Chavez.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Some time ago, watching a documentary on the commodification of water (I believe it was "Blue Gold" made in 2008) there was a brief mention that one of the George Bush's daughter had formed an entity to purchase water rights in Brazil. I said to myself, "Well, we can expect some sort of coup in Brazil soon."
It is now practically guaranteed that the new government will open Brazil to foreign "investment" to "solve" the financial crisis.
As capitalism must constantly find new "markets" and "commodities" (and because theft is the preferred method) any country whose government has even the thought of serving its indigenous population is considered a threat by the international bankers and the rest of the ruling classes.

W.