Home | About | Donate

Brazil: Nationwide Strike Rebuffs "Disastrous" Austerity Measures

Brazil: Nationwide Strike Rebuffs "Disastrous" Austerity Measures

Andrea Germanos, staff writer

Nationwide strikes halted public transportation in several of Brazil's major cities on Friday as labor unions sought to show widespread opposition to the unelected president's austerity reforms.

"It is going to be the biggest strike in the history of Brazil," said Paulo Pereira da Silva, the president of trade union group Forca Sindical.

The indigenous peoples of Brazil are facing similar political extraction of rights by the same transnational energy, mining, deforestation, agribusiness drunk on "growth" that destroys life in order to make profits. Folks are beginning to recognize the deadly systemic problems that require entire societies to, as in the US, sacrifice the earth to a military cancer and creative lives to forms of racism that destroy human potential.
The 14th ATL opened on Monday, closes today- with demonstrations, meeting with ministry officials as Temer government is being called the most dangerous since the military dictatorship - which was ended with the Constitutional Assembly and ratification in 1988 of today's Constitution.

"Here in Brazil [the politicians] are robbing the workers' rights with these pension and labor reforms," said union leader Reginal de Souza, the Associated Press reports. "We are here to say this is enough and that we are against all this nonsense that the government ... is doing to the workers and to all the Brazilian people."

Which begs the question, why do we need politicians?

Direct Online Democracy

A Worldwide Oppressed People's Revolution is in the making.

You're right Natureboy, what do we need politicians for?

We need Human Beings who possess a Heart and a Soul. Not these soulless, heartless money hungry vultures feeding on everything they can.

PrepareForTheStrike

Let's get ready!

Not exactly on topic, but has Venezuela dropped off of the globe? With all that is going on there you would think CD could publish an article more than once every six months. It used to be several times a month. :confused:

No surprise here. And it was most definitely a coup. Temer brings a soft coup by way of phony constitutional crisis/corruption charges and then follows up with neoliberal "reforms". Rouseff was "guilty" of the same kind of benign accounting management that many other international governments utilize, but which Temer and co., including the support of the U.S. (shocker!) called corruption even though it's actually Temer and co. who are actually guilty of corruption and sought to depose Rouseff and her government in order to avoid legitimate charges against them. I highly doubt the NYT and WaPo even barely acknowledged that state of affairs at the time, and now they're "reporting" on how Temer's government is "limping from scandal to scandal". How rich.

Petrobras?

"The New York Times noted this month that ... 'government has limped from scandal to scandal with low approval ratings since taking power.' Further marring his administration, this month new investigations were opened into scores of politicians, with the 'president's chief of staff, foreign minister, trade minister, and agriculture minister' being on the list, the Washington Post wrote".

Oh, excuse me, I just discovered this paragraph is in reference to Brazilian President Michel Temer, not Donald Trump. My apology.

I'm certainly no expert on the whole Operation Carwash deal, but I do recall reading commentary that assessed Rouseff as not guilty of any essential crime, but that Temer and his ilk were interested in her impeachment to stave off the corruption investigation Operation Carwash that would likely implicate them. Again, all I can say is that I read commentary from writers I respect, like Mark Weisbrot, who pointed the finger at Temer not Rouseff.