Home | About | Donate

Brazil Should Stand Firm Against U.S.-Led Campaign to Undermine Venezuelan Elections

Brazil Should Stand Firm Against U.S.-Led Campaign to Undermine Venezuelan Elections

Mark Weisbrot

Washington has been trying to get rid of the Venezuelan government for more than 13 years, going back to the failed military coup of 2002. The U.S. State Department acknowledged that Washington “provided training, institution building, and other support to individuals and organizations understood to be actively involved” in the coup. They stepped up funding to opposition groups after the coup government collapsed. Since 2004, the U.S.

Didn't Sanders refer to the late Chavez as a "dead communist dictator" fairly recently? I never heard any response from him to requests, including from Venezuela's ambassador, to correct his statement. He really needs to do this....

Superb work by Weisbrot to get this published in Portuguese in Brazil's largest newspaper three days before the election!

And gads i am so sick of the disgusting, illegitimate, criminal US regime, president after president, election after election.

Pretty sure in context Sanders was being flip in refutation to the provocative media in the US context, not providing his serious opinion on Venezuelan politics. Not that he shouldn't provide a simple correction.

“Yesterday, one of Hillary Clinton’s most prominent Super PACs attacked our campaign pretty viciously,” said the senator in a statement sent to supporters. “They suggested I’d be friendly with Middle East terrorist organizations, and even tried to link me to a dead communist dictator".... “It was the kind of onslaught I expected to see from [Republican donors] the Koch Brothers or Sheldon Adelson”.

Funny way of being flippant.

For the most part, my increasing impression is that Bernie's foreign policy failings come from being provincial and insular in the typical USAn manner. He simply does not seem to know very much about the world outside US borders. Does he speak any other languages aside from maybe a bit of Hebrew or Yiddish? Probably all he knew about Chavez was the slanderous stuff CNN or the NYT said about him - so perhaps he really thought Chavez was really some kind of extremist "dictator" instead of a democratically elected leader who advocated the sort of deep democracy that Sanders himself claims to believe in.

I believe that Weisbrot or his parents are originally from Brazil and Portuguese may be his first language. He is down there quite often.

Thanks for the cite, i misremembered. Presumably that smear started because Vermont accepted heating oil when Chavez offered it?

Yeah - through the oil company CITGO which was (still is?) majority owned by PDVSA.

But I just found out here:

http://sfbayview.com/2015/09/an-open-letter-to-bernie-sanders-about-hugo-chavez/

that the "communist dictator" remark was not a verbal statement of Sanders, but in the text of a mass mailed fundraising letter. The complete text is here:

“I don’t have a Super PAC, Jonathan [the recipient]. I am not going to travel around the country begging millionaires and billionaires for money. That’s just not going to happen.

“But the success of our campaign certainly has the billionaires’ attention.

“Yesterday, one of Hillary Clinton’s most prominent Super PACs attacked our campaign pretty viciously. They suggested I’d be friendly with Middle East terrorist organizations, and even tried to link me to a dead communist dictator.

“It was the kind of onslaught I expected to see from the Koch Brothers or Sheldon Adelson, and it’s the second time a billionaire Super PAC has tried to stop the momentum of the political revolution we’re building together.

“They’ll keep trying … unless we make them pay a price for their attacks.

“Make the Super PACs pay for attacking us by making a $100 contribution to our campaign today. Let’s send a powerful message that we have had ENOUGH of the billionaire class buying elections.

“If we stand together to fight back against these ugly attacks, we can ensure this election is about who has the best ideas, and not who has the biggest donors.

“They should not underestimate us.

Bernie Sanders"

This raises the issue of whether it was something that was actually written by one of his paid campaign staff - who tend to be typical careerist Democrats, and Sanders was busy and didn't read it carefully.

Maybe...

Not to be endlessly compulsive, but... isn't it CITGO?

Yup, you're right - CITGO. The one with the red triangle logo. My fricking medium-term memory of names seems to be going...

I corrected the post - don't wan't people to be going out of their way to buy Chevron-Texaco gasoline. If or when one must buy gasoline, look for CITGO. And by all means, avoid the Koch Brother's Valero!

It would be good to have citation, though I have no reason to doubt Weisbrot. And Weisbrot is an excellent journalist - I trust he could produce a citation and will forgive him for missing out on an including one here..