Home | About | Donate

Brazilian Experts Warn in Open Letter to President Bolsonaro a 'Genocide Is Underway' Against Uncontacted Tribes

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/10/07/brazilian-experts-warn-open-letter-president-bolsonaro-genocide-underway-against

1 Like

For cattle ranching no less. Yikes.
The Brazilian voters, along with Bolsonaro & Co., have gone off the very deep of end it, here. " I will give you 1000 hectares for every Indigenous scalp you bring me. More for the diamonds and gold. " John Wayne Gacy Bolsonaro, rides again.
Head 'em up and move 'em out.
Where have we see this movie before?

4 Likes

The genocide against indigenous peoples, especially those few who have escaped contact with the technoindustrial grid, is paired with anthropogenic mass extinction…ecocide.
The dominant paradigm is to enslave and/or kill every organism, alter every native ecosystem, plunder and transform all earth materials to serve an ever-increasing, rapacious human population.
Bolsonaro and his supporters are enemies of life on earth, and should be treated accordingly.

3 Likes

Oh awfulness! Burning the trees of the Amazon burns the planet! So America, you say you take out terrorists-----and make the world safe for democracy!
PROVE it and save the indigenous people of Brazil! And when you save them and the trees you will also save yourself and the planet!

4 Likes

I would frog march bolsonaro and Trump to The Hague for crimes against humanity.

5 Likes

Yes. If I recall correctly, Greta called for international prosecution of destroyers of the biosphere. I wish it could happen.

3 Likes

We’ve been making the same mistake in the American West for over a century - “This Land” by Chris Ketchum" - although it could be argued with less of a consequence for rest of the world then the Amazon.

1 Like

Saw Mr. Ketchum on C-Span talk about the book and do a Q &A. He was in Ft. Collins, which of course, is Monfort Beef country.
Interesting fella’.

1 Like

How dare them practice subsistence living when all their forests and minerals can be converted into money placed into tax-free off-shore banks by Bolsonaro and his henchmen.

2 Likes

Yes, great book, a memoriam to what’s been destroyed.
Reminds me of when I saw Edward Abbey give a talk on welfare ranching, logging, mining, tourism, dams and “hooved locusts” in the American West.
His critique was accurate and devastating.
The West will run out of water within a few decades if not sooner. Searing climate change heat will overwhelm power grids, melting roads and frying people.
It will make the Dust Bowl look like a stroll in the park.
Phoenix, Vegas, LA and many other places will, thankfully, become ghost towns.
One could imagine Randall Flagg, from The Stand, taking over what’s left.

2 Likes

Oh yes a strongly worded open letter is so effectively against a fascist who cares not for the genocide of indigenous people and later all of humanity. If this is the resistance I might as well become an alcoholic now, since the planet will die by the time the alcohol kills me.

2 Likes

sounds like our history

2 Likes

The rest of the world, in this case Brazil (and don’t forget Netanyahu’s Israeli government’s attempt at genocide in Israel), is merely following the atrocious example of our own history and examples today re: our treatment of Native Peoples here in our own country and backing fascist governments around the world with our weapons and wealth. The evil empire is sinking into the tar pit just like the dinosaurs of old. It can only get worse as the dying thrashes of the rich and powerful grow more out of control and frantic!

As should our form of government and the criminals who have run it for my entire 74 years.

Along with many other government officials going back generations. This has been ongoing bipartisan criminal corruption which has been allowed to exist for far too long.

Jair Bolsonaro, Bento Albuquerque - You Suck, Scumbags.