Home | About | Donate

Breaking: Dakota Access Pipeline Permit Denied by Army Corps

Breaking: Dakota Access Pipeline Permit Denied by Army Corps

Nika Knight, staff writer

In a long-awaited victory for the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers has denied a permit for the Dakota Access Pipeline, tribal leadership announced late Sunday.

"This is something that will go down in history and is a blessing for all indigenous people."
—Dave Archambault II,
Standing Rock Sioux Tribe

A'ho

Mni Winconi--Water is Life

This is a momentary victory. The Abstract Devouring Machine of Neoliberal Capital will be back. Remain vigilant but enjoy your victory! Hats off to First Americans and Veterans!

Blessings to all Earth warriors.

Vigilance and resistance against all Earth destroyers.

The time has come for all people to reject the murderous and ecocidal economics of colonialism, the war that enforces it, the capitalist "ownership" of everything that is built on it, and the manipulative consumerist madness that is propagandized.

Turn toward life, turn toward the Earth, turn toward each other.

"Instead, the Corps will be undertaking an environmental impact statement to look at possible alternative routes."

"[W]ithout a full environmental impact assessment that examines alternative routes for the pipeline": No! No alternative routes for any pipelines! Land and water everywhere is to be protected. Keep the dirty fuel in the ground and no digging for more uranium for nuclear plants which also comes from indigenous territories of the Dine' and Sioux.

If your bank invests in dirty fuel divest from it. We need to rapidly move away from all non renewables and challenge and change a 'civilization' that permits such wanton exploitation of Mother Earth.

Wait and see.

I tip my hat in respect and admiration to the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe - and all the water protectors - for everything it has done here, not the least of which is this gracious segment of today's statement:

We wholeheartedly support the decision of the administration and commend with the utmost gratitude the courage it took on the part of President Obama, the Army Corps, the Department of Justice and the Department of the Interior to take steps to correct the course of history and to do the right thing.

I couldn't have done it. AFAIC, there was no courage shown in anything that any of these named entities did. They caved under pressure - nothing more.

It is a good day to put more pressure on the water spoilers!

While I understand the Indians' pleasure in their victory near their home - the pipeline being rerouted and completed anywhere is disastrous for humankind. And if completed, it will likely cross the Missouri River somewhere, and very possibly upstream from the Sioux.

This sense of victory is incoherent. The war is still likely to be lost.

Thank you, Lakota Sioux, Thank you to all the other indigenous nations, Thank you veterans.
Thank you all for all you do to save us white folks from our self-destructive folly, and teaching us about the power of the people.
I know this isn't over, but may you have a chance to go home, thaw out, spend Christmas with your families.
words cannot express the depth of my gratitude for your incredible sacrifices.

Yep. That's the giant problem with this "victory". And it's something that has bothered me about the Indians' rationale and goals all along.

Well one problem down. Now we just have to stop using oil and end the population crisis.

Oh and when they move the pipe to another location, set up camp there.

Unfortunately, absent an act from Congress, it is not possible to simply ban outright the construction of a domestic oil or gas pipeline. There are no existing regulations that would legally allow it. The Keystone XL was only cancelled because it was an international project so the State Dept. has the power to stop it on a "national interests" basis.

Aggressive programs to address global warming will, and correctly so, attack the consumption-side via tax incentives and subsidies for renewables and other carbon-free energy sources and tax disincentives for fossil fuel usage. If they do this, the supply and transportation end will take care of itself.

This has always been about two issues. 1) the environmental issue - the idea that pipelines like this just shouldn't be built and the carbon should stay in the ground and 2) the rights of indigenous peoples - treating them with respect, recognizing their right to self-determination in controlling their land and resources for their own benefit, and consulting with their sovereign nations on issues that affect them.
The administration supports this kind of pipeline and has never made any statements or rulings indicating that the DAPL should not be built. Thus, issue 1 is doomed to fail in this case.
The administration does have lots of sympathy for the second issue and has generally given more respect to the tribes than any previous administration (admittedly - not a very high bar). So this is at least a temporary victory on that second issue which is of enormous importance to the Standing Rock Sioux.
For many in the progressive community, issue 1 and climate change is the main show - but I believe that issue 2 is also important and am glad to see this victory for the Standing Rock Sioux who through their actions have taught us all the true meaning of courage. Unfortunately, I am not sure how the Army Corps of Engineers decision will stand when Mr. Trump becomes their commander-in-chief.

I just took a good look at the map for the DAPL.
My first question: "Why must the proposed pipeline cross under the Missouri River twice?"
Second question: "Who approved this in the first place?"

(Click to enlarge)

If the pipeline re-crosses the river north of Lake Oahe, a leak or rupture would still threaten the Standing Rock Reservation's water. And re-crossing south of the Standing Rock Reservation (and the adjacent Cheyenne River Reservation in South Dakota) would require laying a lot more pipe, a LOT more .. and would clearly incite even more protests.

(Click to enlarge)

So if the Corps is still behind the pipeline .. this is just the beginning!

But yes, it's a victory in two senses. First, the pipeline will not be crossing under Lake Oahe in North Dakota. Second, the power of the people has made the overlords take a step back.

The veteran participation changed the equation for the elite fascists and their mad dog police. Let's hope this will be one of many victories for the environmental and human/worker rights movements.

Such as what you advocate, nuclear energy? And the spent fuel where shall it go? The US Congress is as enthused about stopping all pipelines and as they are about 'aggressive programs to address global warming'. My point being that it will take massive, disruptive actions from the people to stop this.

Regarding uranium mining:

ISSN 2076-3263
www.mdpi.com/journal/geosciences

Reading between the lines:
As soon as all of those pesky demonstrators stop praying and go home, we will conclude the the alternative routes might impact rich people's property, so the most logical route will be to use the Native American's property as originally planned.

Italicizing mine ..

This is NOT what the Corps statement says. The first sentence says:

The Department of the Army will not approve an easement that would allow the proposed Dakota Access Pipeline to cross under Lake Oahe in North Dakota, the Army's Assistant Secretary for Civil Works announced today.

Unlike what CD's headline and first sentence state, the Corps denied the easement to pass under Lake Oahe in North Dakota. It did NOT deny the "Dakota Access Pipeline Permit".

The statement is clearly an emphatic NO to routing under Lake Oahe in North Dakota.

The Corps' statement does NOT say: "The agency will not allow the pipeline to be built under Lake Oahe, a reservoir near the tribal reservation, without a full environmental impact assessment that examines alternative routes for the pipeline." It says the route will NOT pass under Lake Oahe in North Dakota (full stop) AND an alternative route must be found.

Even though this is likely only a temporary win, it's still outstanding news. It demonstrates that people can indeed over turn the greedy desires of the 1% and our bought and paid for government. News of this will ring around the world. And we now know that Vets can be our strongest allies. They have the power to stand peacefully and humiliate perpetrators of injustice. Grateful thanks to the Native Nations that have demonstrated to all that we do have a voice, and to the Vets who stood with them.