Home | About | Donate

Breaking Free of Trump's Trap on Trade and Jobs

Breaking Free of Trump's Trap on Trade and Jobs

Les Leopold

As progressives rally to resist him, Trump is building support in key swing states by fighting for American jobs. He is using the bully pulpit to pressure manufacturers to keep jobs here rather than relocating them to low-wage areas. The list of Trump target companies is growing ― Carrier, Rexnord, Ford, GM, Toyota ―- with no end in sight. His message is clear ― either make the product in the U.S. or we’ll slap a major tariff on the product if you try to import it back into the U.S.

Any company that "needs" to offshore is not a viable company and should be out of business.

In our country we have convinced ourselves that money is evverything. Yes, if one does not have any, it sure is necessary, but it is not everything.

Democrats made it clear to the Democratic Party establishment that we did not favor new job killing trade deals. They completely ignored us.

Obama pushed for one trade deal after another. What are we supposed to do, support an empty party just because of the name 'Democrat' when they continually betray us?

Obama, the great Trojan Horse. Hillary might have been even worse.

How do you figure? It seems to me that low skill jobs that can't be automated will continue to be outsourced off shore to workers who are willing to do the work for wages commensurate with the skill level. There are hardly any products manufactured in the US for which components aren't outsourced out of the country or "offshore". It is the only reason you can afford most of what you purchase.

Perhaps if more people had those jobs that could be middle class then all could afford those products except the poor who barely are mentioned. A company that outsources just to gain more profit is not a viable one that cares about community. How did we afford those products before? Whose side are U on?

I'm on the side of common sense. I'm also on the side of some sort of financial equality in the world not just the US. If there are people who are willing to do unskilled work for a fraction of what Americans are willing to do it for why should they be denied the opportunity? The simple fact is that if unskilled work in the US demands a high wage then not only will the products become uncompetitive but the companies that make them will not be able to compete. If you want a high wage then raise your job skills to a level that will accommodate it. Instead of thinking you should be making $30/hr putting a door handle on a car, earn your $30 honestly by learning how to repair the robot doing the job. Overpaying for a skill level in a globalized market is a sure road to failure.

Somehow people in the US afforded products all those years before outsourcing. Stop being selfish.It is much more than raising a skill level. Many people who are highly educated cannot find anything. Plus, the robot jobs you are talking about are not that much in demand and often demand an engineering degree which is not that easy. I am glad that you are in a position to give away jobs and fiancés to other countries. People are hurting right here in the US where a fraction of the eligible workforce is actually working. If you are retired with a high salary then good for you. Many people are not. Take care of people here before giving away to others like the US has for decades. Job outsourcing has been done for close to forty years but people in other countries are still hurting. We cannot take care of the whole world . Did you forget there was a recession here and millions lost their jobs? Oh, I forgot that did not affect the one per cent like you.

I agree. The elites of either party tell people to become an engineer something that requires a higher than average iq not to mention advanced math skills et al.

Also, why are you making fun of someone who is earning 30 an hour. Sounds like you are a troll and a capitalist - it's all about you and the convenience of buying cheap goods.

You make a lot of assumptions about me while knowing nothing. That is a hallmark of ignorance.
You should do a little research on the economic history of the US before making such juvenile judgements. The simple fact is that the US has always relied on resource exploitation, foreign dominance and public and private debt to fund their unsustainable lifestyle. The earth is finite and the chickens are coming home to roost. Quit being so selfish yourself. We all live on this planet together and there is no particular reason the US deserves to be the one percent of the world. In case you haven't figured it out yet it's all relative. To the rest of the world you are a member of the 1%.