Home | About | Donate

Breaking: Nina Turner Files to Run for Congress in Ohio

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/12/09/breaking-nina-turner-files-run-congress-ohio

5 Likes

She’s someone I’d send money to. Love to see on the House floor giving a Barn Burner…

10 Likes

“Hello Somebody!” I love that. She’s talking about/to/for us.

1 Like

That’s what, ten reps now in the House, who more or less fit the profile of the Squad? Assuming Turner is elected, of course.

What could a core group of ten do in a body of 435 people? Can they all get re-elected in 2022 and welcome some more on board? What’s a critical mass? How much time is there?

This is great news, but We the People need avenues besides congressional representation where we exercise power. Given the time frame, and the nature of the existential crises we face.

4 Likes

Yes, I’ll drive home any day to vote for Tina Turner.
Always an energized person.

Footnote: That is a five hour drive.
Will they accept my 15,000 ballots?

3 Likes

well don’t give the fascists anything to grab on to

2 Likes

No, I’m afraid it’s not great news. It’s bad news because Turner is someone with enough of a public profile that she might have made a real difference to a growing movement like the People’s Party, had she the courage of her professed principles. Our hero Nina has just sold out.

Stuck within the unDemocratic Party, she’d be just another faux progressive who talks big and whose sole accomplishment will be to keep progressive minded folks from leaving the Party. There will never be a progressive critical mass within the unDemocratic Party in the House, especially since Pelosi will not be needing those progressive votes for her agenda because she’ll be doing deals with McCarthy and the rest of the Trump Death Cult in the House. She can keep right on telling them to shove it, and she will if they get too far out f line, which they won’t. Need proof? Look at the recent vote in the House on the defense budget.

3 Likes

i know - there’s a steady line here that it is not feasible for anyone serving as a Democrat in the House to accomplish anything but bad. i’m more agnostic on the matter. No illusions about present party leadership, but i’m not “drawing the line” and declaring “the Squad” to all be sell-outs. They’re doing their best in this horror show, as they see it. We’ll see how their strategy plays out.

Feel free obviously to tell me again, but i’m almost certainly going to remain agnostic about good people who run as Democrats.

Ultimately i think it’s not so much about party politics, which restricts us to engaging in electoral politics. i think we need to focus on movement politics, building popular power outside of political parties, and let the movements move the parties.

3 Likes

Very funny, oldie.
Btw, you typed Tina Turner. Let’s make that Nina Turner.

2 Likes

Bernies movement actually saved the dem party. For the past five years, our young orphan perogi progs have been working hard - for free- on behalf of solid prog candidates in Michigan and Iowa. They are now working hard for the two dems running in Georgia for senate.

Going door to door provides them more first knowledge of what citizens and families need to have a chance. Notice how the polls and exit polls have been wrong since 2008. The N=743 simply is not large enough to correctly model (bell curve) a large population state. May work OK for Alaska, Wyoming but not in NY, PA, midwest states.

1 Like

Nina Turner, as a Democrat, is diluted into uselessness, as a People’s Party candidate she’s a revolutionary.

5 Likes

Nina of Ohio is quite too young
The ballots already say ‘Tina’ above the fold
Our Tina of song is a bit too old
Competition coming in at a fast clip.
Mis-spelled tuna? an easy keyboard slip
Cleveland votes inside cold temperature dip.
Enjoy the shuffle until mayor Pete in the door in 24

1 Like

I hadn’t thought of it that way, but your probably correct.
leading me to think we may never be able to fix this

Yes, and she might have provided a real shot in the arm of the People’s Party movement.

3 Likes

I wish 218 in the House and 51 in the Senate was a real possibility - but it is not. My near term target …

Having more true progressives than there are blue dogs to avoid the blue dogs having all of the leverage is the lowest critical mass that would matter. (there are currently 18 house members in the blue dog coalition)

2 Likes

Thanks for responding, webwalk. Just to explain my perspective, I’ve watched the unDems since the McGovern days and I am as convinced as I might be that they are irrevocably joined at the hip with the oligarchs and big corporations, that they will never be committed to the best interests of the population at large and that they will do whatever it takes to neuter the progressives in their ranks and resist progressive policy, these new progressive pols in the House and their supporters be damned. I believe the evidence of all that is crystal clear and overwhelming in quantity. That’s why I think further investment in the unDems is futile.

Turner’s been crapped on by the unDems for years now. She’s been flirting with the surviving remnants of Sanders’ political revolution and the Movement for a People’s Party for years. Clearly, I don’t know what’s in her mind but, if anyone does, she knows the extent of corruption and treachery within the Party, having herself been the target of it.

5 Likes

Your POV is one way to look at it but I see Nina’s fire able to set some good trouble in the house and even if she continues to be given grief by the “party” she will raise her public profile and when the Peoples Party is gathering steam she can slide over into another role within that movement. They have a long way to go and when the Peoples Party becomes a serious threat to dparty it should cause either somewhat of a shakup within the dparty or else a mass exodus would be in order.

2 Likes

Northern half of Ohio has been progressive since 1830’s.
The trip to Ontario north across Lake Erie was a eucenemical miracle. Neighboring Families attending different churches co-operated in hiding run-a-way slaves and transporting them safely.
Just consider who started the civil war over abolition from Lorain county.
Worker unions for safety, seniority, fair wages, and pensions were championed here. Then spread east and west.
The ethic, moral, quality work results still exits there.

drop south a few miles and we get a bit different Ohio.
Columbus is northwest corner of appalachia. The jr college school there has terrific
engineering and agriculture. And it own pro football team!!

2 Likes

HELLO SOMEBODY and PRAISE THE LORD!!! With these hands, let’s put her in Congress!

4 Likes

Its true that they don’t have significant numbers, but one thing the do have a this moment is leverage. Jimmy Dore has started an urging of the progressive house members to tell Pelosi that they will not vote for her as Speake unless she brings M4A to a recorded vote. Without their votes, she will not become speaker and you know that is all she cares about. They could force her hand or the GOP gets the speakership. That’s a brave gamble, but you know what Pelosi would do…she would cave like the POS she is to hold onto her position of power. If people write or call the progressive House members and tell them to force the M4A vote it could make a difference and many people have already done so.

3 Likes