Home | About | Donate

Bringing on 'Badly Needed Prophetic Voice,' New York Times Hires Michelle Alexander as Full-Time Columnist

Bringing on 'Badly Needed Prophetic Voice,' New York Times Hires Michelle Alexander as Full-Time Columnist

Jake Johnson, staff writer

In a refreshing break from its recent streak of awful opinion page hires—one that included neoconservative climate-denier Bret Stephens and Bari Weiss, a reliable apologist for Israeli atrocities—the New York Times announced on Thursday that it has hired author, civil rights lawyer, and criminal justice reform advocate Michelle Alexander as a full-time columnist.

Let the Revolution begin on all levels Now!

Pope Francis saved the Catholic Church.

Michelle Alexander could save the NY Times.

Unfortunately, she still has to get her articles approved by their CIA editorial board.

It could just be a way to fetter her while making us think that the NYTimes is not the neoliberal rag it has been, to save itself. Facts or paranoia?

what took them so long? Oh, sorry guess they never got around to reading her book on the new Jim Crow till they absolutely had to. The NYTimes, is yesterday’s paper along with all the rest of them, but I’m glad to see a woman of color, a Bernie supporter, an authentic progressive will be writing weekly I hope for it.

I will believe this is for real when she publishes her first column critical of a major corporate advertiser in the NYT, and keeps her job and isn’t forced to retract or apologize. Until then, isn’t this what “tokenism” looks like?

Perhaps but I doubt that she will be a sellout.