Home | About | Donate

Bringing the Noise: How will Shell’s Arctic drilling affect marine mammals in the Chukchi Sea?

Bringing the Noise: How will Shell’s Arctic drilling affect marine mammals in the Chukchi Sea?

Alisa Opar

The Arctic Ocean is hopping right now. Royal Dutch Shell plans to start drilling for oil in the Chukchi Sea later this month, and its two massive drill rigs, the Polar Pioneer and the Noble Discoverer, are garnering most of the attention. But let’s not forget the rigs’ sizeable entourage of 30 support vessels and seven aircraft—all vehicles for noise.

I am so happy I voted for a good man and excellent president, Barak Obama. I am so proud that the man who promised that during his watch the rising waters will recede. The leader who is a true steward of the environment. Can not wait to vote for another true environmentalist, Hilary Clinton.

i appreciate the dedication of the researchers.

But we don't need more research to demonstrate that one specific aspect of the human assault against the living systems and species of the Earth must be questioned.

The human assault against the living systems and species of the Earth must be reined in, hard, now.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

You frame your comment as "the human assault" while Dubet relies upon the generic frame of WE.

Very specific interests are doing this harm: Oil companies and military crews. One answers to Mammon ONLY and the other answers to Mars. That does not mean ALL human beings behave this way; and I tire of the predictable and deceptive frames used to always insist that these horrors are something that WE, that great, undifferentiated, one-size-fits-all mass of persons does. In reality, there are very real actors and those actors do NOT reflect what millions, if not billions of persons would do!

Your language frames purposely conflate one with the other to suggest that these "norms" somehow are innate to human beings, in general.

Bull friggin shit!

If your beloved space aliens were to assess what is happening on Earth, to which species would they assign responsibility for this assault? Let's see: Is it the Orcas' assault? Perhaps the Grizzly Bears'? Maybe it's the Fruit Flies' assault!

You are free to PRETEND that there is nothing human about this assault. You are free to PRETEND that somehow the human assault on the Earth's living systems and species is not actually being done by humans, but by "some off-world influence" as you recently wrote in these threads.

Hey look, i can proudly claim Common Dreams editors as members of my "all humans" tag team!

Here's a quick quiz:

When i write "... we avoid processing what that means... " below, am i asserting that there is not one single human who processes what that means?

When i write "We've developed..." below, am i claiming that i am one of the people who developed condoms?

"People use the analogy of yeast in a Petri dish, but when it comes to seeing ourselves as the yeast and the Petri dish as the Earth, we avoid processing what that means for each of us and all of us. It's not a perfect analogy, since yeast can never think about any of it, while we have these live computers growing in the front of our brains. We've developed technologies like condoms that enable birth control. Many people do use these technologies effectively to limit births. Of course our brains enabled science which enabled techno-industrialism and capitalism, so it's a complex synergistic whole-systems problem."

When you write "Your language frames purposely conflate one with the other..." are you being an idiot?

Bonus question:

Are you glad that at this point in the day, almost no humans will be reading this exchange?

Here's Dr. David Suzuki, from his post today on Common Dreams:

"In 1988, when climate scientist James Hansen testified in Washington that human-caused global warming was kicking in, people might have been excused for failing to grasp the significance of his early warning. But there's no excuse for humanity's subsequent dismissal and denial of the reality of his statements and the deliberate, aggressive opposition to any action to reduce the threat."

Hilariously, after Suzuki BLAMES HUMANITY for "dismissal and denial of reality," Susan Rose does not write back and say:

"You frame your comment as "human-caused global warming"... and I tire of the predictable and deceptive frames used to always insist that these horrors are something that WE, that great, undifferentiated, one-size-fits-all mass of persons does... Your language frames purposely conflate one with the other to suggest that these "norms" somehow are innate to human beings, in general. Bull friggin shit!"

No, instead Susan Rose writes to Dr. Suzuki and says:

"Thank you, David Suzuki for always being a maverick for this Cause. You're right, of course..."

And then provides Dr. Suzuki with a link to a video about... Space Aliens!

To be blunt: You are such a shameless person, you NEVER reply when you are pwned. But you are pwned. Your "logic" and "arguments" are IDIOTIC.

The collection of research that is available demonstrate that the Chukchi Sea oil plan is foolhardy and framed in failure. The primary agency that is "regulating" this exploration effort is the same agency that determined there was 75% probability of one or more large oil spills that is paired with the production phase. There is no way to effectively clean up spilled oil in icy Arctic waters. There are ten thousand walruses that inhabit the nearby Hanna Shoal for persisting sea ice, feeding, nursing and survival. There are Native Alaskan people and communities whose lives and cultures are being hit hardest by climate change whilst simultaneously invaded and occupied by the primary vectors of this ecocide in the making. ShellNo.