Home | About | Donate

Britain Says No to Slavery Reparations, But Offers to Buy Jamaica New Prison

If the UK had to shell out appropriate compensation sums for damages done to former nations of its empire the queen would be getting her new outfits from charity shops.

"For people in Jamaica, the impacts of slavery have not gone away.": and THAT is the point. The same on Turtle Island for the indigenes and black folks (a.k.a. USA) and too many posts right here on CD exhibit the same callous white privilege as displayed by Cameron with regards to this issue and the "fact" that it "happened long ago". As Faulkner wrote, "the past is not dead. It isn't even past".

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

I expect the USAian government to compensate Britain for the deaths and misery it caused amongst loyal British colonists between 1776 and 1783. And we British have yet to recover from the trauma of being driven out of our colonial jewel, the 13 colonies and from which we would have derived great wealth had we not so been driven out. That's a bit more compensation owed to us.

Why don't these people ever go after the African tribes who enslaved them in the first place?

From the Arabs to the Zoroastrians, every time a black tribe has encountered a non-black tribe, the blacks have been conquered and enslaved.

Because the people of Africa were happy in their lives -- their idea of an army has always been like the one Haile Selassi mobilised when the Italians invaded:

Two persons – one white and the other black – are playing a game of poker. The game has been in progress for some 300 years. One player – the white one – has been cheating during much of this time, but now announces: ‘from this day forward, there will be a new game with new players and no more cheating.’ Hopeful but suspicious, the black player responds, ‘that’s great. I’ve been waiting to hear you say that for 300 years. Let me ask you, what are you going to do with all those poker chips that you have stacked up on your side of the table all these years?’ ‘Well,’ said the white player, somewhat bewildered by the question, ‘they are going to stay right here, of course.’ ‘That’s unfair,’ snaps the black player. ‘The new white player will benefit from your past cheating. Where’s the equality in that?’ ‘But you can’t realistically expect me to redistribute the poker chips along racial lines when we are trying to move away from considerations of race and when the future offers no guarantees to anyone,’ insists the white player. ‘And surely,’ he continues, ‘redistributing the poker chips would punish individuals for something they did not do. Punish me, not the innocents!’ Emotionally exhausted, the black player answers, "but the innocents will reap a racial windfall." [1]

[1] Roy Brooks, Integration or Separation: A Strategy for Racial Equality (Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 2002), p. ix.