Home | About | Donate

Burger King Loves Net Neutrality (?!) and Other Whoppers

Burger King Loves Net Neutrality (?!) and Other Whoppers

Craig Aaron

These are not words I ever expected to type.

And yet Wednesday, the fast-food giant released one of the most clever Net Neutrality explainer videos ever.

It’s a must-watch:

It’s known in my execrable trade as ‘social-impact branding.’

It’s a form of greenwashing, of course, but as the author notes, in this case, it’s actually effective as political discourse. An earlier anti-bullying ad from Burger King was also quite effective.

That said, I’m not going to be purchasing a Whopper any time soon.

Yes, please … let’s celebrate the sociopolitical savvy of a corporation that exploits its workers and poisons the health of its customers with its products.

Talk about silos

Oy gevalt.

Sorry, but Burger King got this all wrong. Net neutrality does not mean everyone gets a Whopper at the same speed. Even before the FCC ruling, some people paid for a 3 MBit connection to the Internet while others paid more for 16 MBit line and still others paid a lot more for a 100 MBit line. Restoring net neutrality is not going to give everyone the same speed. You will still get the speed you paid for.

Net neutrality is about discriminating against different content. So if Burger King wanted to demonstrate net neutrality, then is should serve Big Macs at the same speed they serve Whoopers.

The promotional framing of burger king is stunning.

Consider a ‘what if’ in the narcissistic corporate arrogance of one of the most destructive environmental presences on the planet: CAFOs. If this gets through the “positioning” to actual human consciousness, consider yourself as having grabbed a brass ring on the merry-go-round of the mirror world fun house of fast food.

Burger King combines the GMO corporate hegemony of poisonous chemicals as well as poisonous practices. The impacts on SOIL, local economies and entire biomes extend far beyond rural areas and are prophetic in terms of the future of the human race being removed from the land and stuffed into cities.

If the context of this blip transecting from fast food to internet “neutrality” actually rings a bell, consider a glimpse into enlightenment and liberty.