Home | About | Donate

Busting Right-Wing Talking Point, 'Groundbreaking' Study Shows Federal $15 Minimum Wage Would Not Cause Job Losses in Low-Wage States

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/07/02/busting-right-wing-talking-point-groundbreaking-study-shows-federal-15-minimum-wage

Well, the corporate cozy congressos conspiring to keep the status quo might just lose their jobs …

1 Like

Why does the left always allow themselves to be compromised? $15 is needed now across the country. By 2024 we’ll need somewhere around $18-19 to survive, and the working class will be told we can’t do $15 until 2028. Stop going along with the rights talking points, enough is enough.

1 Like

Wages for 80% of all workers were higher in 1965 than today (see BLS.gov, "average weekly earnings for production and nonsupervisory workers – https://data.bls.gov/timeseries/CES0500000031). But the economy per person has tripled; 54 years ago the income per-head was around $14,000 per person, and now it’s near $45,000 (adjusted for inflation, or “real” income). The productivity per worker grew, but wages are still lower. It’s time for a raise. The $15 per hour wage will improve life for 40 to 60 million workers (25% to 36% of workers). Half of all workers earn less than $31,561 per year which is just about $15 per hour working 2080 hours (or a full year). The average worker income for the lower-earning half is below $13,000 a year for about 82 million workers, or half of all workers. See the Social Security Administration report on wages (https://www.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/netcomp.cgi?year=2017) — The lower-earning half earn about 7% of the total national income (divide $1.027 trillion by $15.5 trillion = 7%). Where does the other 93% of the national income go? Not to the lower-earning half. All in all it’s a scandal, and the public is out of touch with economic reality. Thanks for the article. My blog: http://benL88.blogspot.com - Economics Without Greed, Part Two – The other change we need is the PRO Act, that reinstates the power of labor unions allowing for strikes, mandatory arbitration, and civil suits against employers who violate the law. It will be an uphill battle, but it is needed.