Home | About | Donate

Calif. Blazes Rage On With Dry, Gusty Winds Fueling More Potential Devastation

Calif. Blazes Rage On With Dry, Gusty Winds Fueling More Potential Devastation

Andrea Germanos, staff writer

"This weekend's pattern appears nearly as dangerous as the one that pushed gale-force winds and parched air into California's wine country late Sunday night," wrote meteorologist Bob Henson.

5.6 million acres of land have burned this year in the World. This is a good report that brings that figure into concrete terms.

great job Fern, saved the link…kinda spooky ain’t?

Thanks, it is spooky on a global perspective. A great deal of my state is on fire and those areas are incredibly dry. In one area the water is so rich with minerals it moves very slowly, if you use to much you lose access. So many other places as well.

The end is nigh
But no it ain’t!
The good times gone by
Is the real complaint.

What was will never again be
In the past no longer in the future.
Memories in the ashes that we flee
To remember them our only lure.

The end is nigh
But no it ain’t!
The good times gone by
Is the real complaint!

This outbreak started overnight last Sunday, and has been consistently threatening at night. This is unusual behavior. Usually the temperature drops and humidity increases enough at night to give firefighters a leg up. Warm nights are a signature of global warming - the horror of waking up some morning to multiple urban fires is just a sneak preview of what we’re in for, here in California.

Nothing like this has happened before, so none of the following is intended to blame anyone for lack of preparation. But I sure hope we learn to iron out some notable kinks, in a hurry - particularly regarding emergency infrastructure. Sonoma County decided not to send out an emergency alert early Monday, because they didn’t have a way to fine-tune it to only the neighborhoods most in danger, and worried that a mass panic would clog traffic so much that emergency vehicles couldn’t get through. Dozens of cellphone towers went down, cutting off communication where it was needed most. There was even an instance where one group of firefighters was surprised by the backfire set by another group. Firefighters had to spend two or three days knocking on doors to assist evacuations, before they could start working on containment.

Snafus like this are deadly. Maintaining vital communication can save lives. We need to get serious about civil defense, like Londoners in World War II.

Thank you fern for that link, and thanks too to AlephNull for his take on things.

I am reading a very strange book right now - just out, “The Evolution of Underground” (2017) by geologist/ichnologist (trace fossils - tracks & burrows…) Anthony J. Martin, professor at Emory University.

As Aleph has alluded to the need for measures for the future - what if any, is the story so far, as regards basements, a type of modern burrow, in California or elsewhere ?? I.E., is anyone using underground as a refuge from these fires, as many animals apparently do, and according to Professor Perkins, have done throughout the Phanerozoic, including the end-Permian Mass Extinction, wherein I was startled to learn that Lystrosaurus, a survivor and a dinosaur, may have survived in large part to its burrowing habits:

"Lystrosaurus was by far the most common terrestrial vertebrate of the Early Triassic, accounting for as many as 95% of the total individuals in some fossil beds.

This was not mentioned in Peter Ward’s tremendous account of the Permian Extinction, as he surveyed the scene, quite literally, in South Africa (book “Gorgon: Paleontology, Obsession, and the Greatest Catastrophe in Earth’s History” - 2004).

If wildfires like these now in California, and apparently worldwide, are to be an increasing threat, perhaps properly constructed basements and appropriate ventilation systems might be either an alternative to evacuation, or simply a last ditch refuge ?

Thanks for the very interesting, informative link.

Welcome. I’ve never really thought about this in terms of an extinction event but these are serious conditions. Aleph is right about complications of evaluation due to various reasons because it is a large area. I use to live there but not now. It is fairly diverse with highly populated areas, cultivated vineyards, to forests, I know burrowing is a survival technique if all else fails but don’t quote me on that. Knowing where you are and how to escape is probably the best plan.

You are welcome and glad you found it interesting.

It is not hard to imagine Trump’s handlers now urging Il Duce to grace California’s fire
victims with his haloed presence, intoning how terrifically they’re doing, then throwing
rolls of paper towels at them. And then warning them what losers they’d be if they
expected actual unfettered federal aid traditionally sanctified only for the truly needy
rich.

Then waltzing away from them in their ashes and grief, bellowing “Making America
Great Again!” What a terrific, terrific guy. Truly, truly…there are just no words.

It wouldn’t be that easy in this case, CA is a sovereign state with constitutional protections. It also gives more to the federal government than it takes. Half of which just went up in smoke so any help benefits him as much as it does CA.

I suggest you read The Book of The Hopi by Frank Waters and then look into the status of the Great Basin via USGS…it was used before and can be used again if man can get it together and understand before it’s too late.

Please see my posting below Fern, you’ll find it helpful.

I just took a quick look at the Hopi book - looks very interesting !

But it would help if you do a little more elaborating than your somewhat cryptic reply, i.e., I am not sure what you are trying to tell me ?

I’m not sure what you mean by that Ditton can you be a little more specific. I know the Hopi are the longest surviving culture in America not sure how that relates here.

You might like this book too. (Not the movie) Neither Wolf Nor Dog by Kent Nerburn. It is not necessarily on this topic but enjoyable.

Me too, It brings up all types of concepts

The current Hopi come from the Ant People who came up out of the ground after the 3rd world turning. They up from the Great Basin, much like in the movie Dune.

Take a look at my reply to manysummits. It has been done before, when we humans understood what the planet was saying and doing. The Great Basin is the place to be soon, much like the movie Dune. I also have created a photo gallery on my site, hope you enjoy it.

I am not one to argue with the longest surviving intact cultures on the continent. I will check it out. Thank you. :slight_smile: