Home | About | Donate

California Gov. Gavin Newsom on State's Treatment of Native Peoples: It Was "Genocide. No Other Way to Describe It"

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/06/19/california-gov-gavin-newsom-states-treatment-native-peoples-it-was-genocide-no-other

1 Like

If we do not de-colonize – end the political system and the predatory exploitive economic structures that were imposed – then apologies amount to some “niceness icing” on a cake of genocide, ecocide, and the soon to be realized collapse of the ecology and “our” civilization.

6 Likes

There does seem to be something new in the air. Canada recently did something similar to what California has now down - acknowledge genocide against the native peoples - a most powerful term - genocide.

2 Likes

This is a first big baby step but it is not national. One man being honest. There a few out there. May there be more to come.

6 Likes

gavin is so good with the words. Now let’s see some action on reparations for what was stolen from native peoples.

He keeps saying he believes in heath care for all in California and does almost nothing. like I said, words so easy, actions, that takes real commitment!

5 Likes

Today in DC there’s a Juneteenth conference on reparations. Something’s definitely in the air.

1 Like

Can’t wait until Pocahontas kicks this guys’ ass!!!

“Genocide” - that’s another word that you better never, ever, use or you will get accused of anti-Semitism (but peculiarly, you will only be called an anti-Semite if you are on the left)!

2 Likes

What? Are they going to set all Native Americans free???

John Toland, Pulitzer Prize winning author, in his book Adolf Hitler wrote: “Hitler’s concept of concentration camps as well as the practicality of genocide owed much, so he claimed, to his studies of English and United States history. He admired the camps for Boer prisoners in South Africa and for the Indians in the wild west; and often praised to his inner circle the efficiency of America’s extermination—by starvation and uneven combat—of the red savages …”

3 Likes

See my post below your’s my friend.

Will “we” apologize for our major part in the ongoing Israeli genocide against the Palestinian people that we laud, ignore, support & defend, fund by Billions annually, arm, and are thus fundamentally complicit-to?

Or just turn another blind eye to such crimes against humanity and genocides?

4 Likes

I live just a few short miles from the San Carlos Apache Indian Reservation, right below Apache Leap. It was the first concentration camp in the world, 1871. It isn’t forgotten here.

1 Like

I teach my students that every year.

2 Likes

I posted this on another CD link last night, but I think it might fit in here. I haven’t heard it brought up by anybody for the last fifty or sixty years.
*I think of it often as I read and see what we are doing. Standing Rock is one example. There are many more. Then there is what we are doing to helpless refugees, making it a felony to give food, water and blankets to people who are dying of thirst, hunger and heat in the trackless deserts of the Fourth Reich. Any protests are quickly being determined to be a felony, or possibly treason, and the camps are being enlarged to catch the overflow.
"This may seem off topic, but if you give it some thought, it’s not.
*When I was a kid, some 70-80 years ago, we were taught about the western expansion, trade with the Indians, etc. We were told how the trading companies would buy blankets used by those who died of small-pox. They were brought out west and traded to the Indians for furs, etc.
*The death rate was horrible, whole villages dying of small-pox. When I protested the horror of this to my teachers, the answer I often got, from all, was, “Well, you know the old saying, ‘ The only good Indian is a dead Indian! ’”
*This little facet of our history seems to be forgotten, or swept under the rug these days, but look at some of the atrocities connected with forcibly vaccinating whole populations of children in various parts of the world with vaccines that are very questionable. That seems to be coming home to roost now, here in the “Land of the fee and home of the grave.”
*It seems to me that Single Payer, Medicare for All , would change this at least a bit. It might bring a sense of caring back into what is now little better than trading small-pox blankets for furs with the Native Americans."
;-})