Home | About | Donate

California May Abolish the Death Penalty

California May Abolish the Death Penalty

Marjorie Cohn

On Election Day, California voters will make a monumental moral and financial decision. Proposition 62 — the Justice That Works Act — is on the Nov. 8 ballot, and if the initiative passes, it will replace the death penalty with life in prison without parole. It will also require convicted murderers to work and pay restitution to their victims’ families. And it will save taxpayers $150 million a year, according to the Legislative Analyst’s Office.

That would be a great start to reform of the "justice system". Next, the philosophy needs to return to paying for one's crime with a loss of liberty and for those who will ultimately return to society, rehabilitation. Prisons should be civil places in which the debt to society is payed with the loss of freedom. To rehabilitate criminals, every effort should be made to provide them with a place to learn how to behave in a civil manner. Currently, prisons are often nothing more than profit-making gulags in which the prisoners devolve rather than evolve. Many European countries have far more humane prisons along with far lower recidivism rates. And, of course, DE-PRIVATIZE all corporate prisons.

In Norway there is no death penalty, or life in prison with or without parole. A man Anders Breivik murders 77 people in one day in 2011, sentence, 21 years ( which can be extended, probably not ) in a humane prison cell. Man in Texas commits no murder was set to be executed Aug. 2016. Virginia's Governor had to veto a bill earlier this year that called for reinstating the electric chair. Final thought, Norwegian society is a forgiving, understanding, more educated society, with a strong belief in redemption. America, look at Texas, enough said.

Here in the US we have always practiced retribution.
Just look around the world.
It's our way or we have a great big missile pointed in your direction and don't expect any mercy.

Powerful case, Ms. Cohn.

This is unbelievable:

"Although California has spent about $5 billion administering the death penalty, it has executed just 13 people since 1978. This means taxpayers have spent about $384 million per execution."

Apart from placating the blood lust of those who mistake vengeance for justice, state sanctioned executions are immoral and insane.

From the article:

"When speaking to the French Chamber of Deputies in 1830, years after witnessing the excesses of the French Revolution, the Marquis de Lafayette, said, “I shall ask for the abolition of the punishment of death until I have the infallibility of human judgment demonstrated to me.”

The above is right-on and it should also apply to those whose lives (and careers) are based upon finding, creating, and devising wars to fight.

This NEED to condemn all under one UNIFORM brush stroke is ill-informed (and a pain in the ass).

You likely didn't read the article.

Many U.S. states have banned the death penalty.

Many citizens oppose it. Just as many citizens oppose war, and many citizens do NOT identify with guns or the NEED to own them.

Anyone who places 300 million people into ONE category is a fool.

You just can't help yourself can you?

Poor thing.

"None of the three major international criminal tribunals — the International Criminal Court, the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia, and the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda — allow the death penalty as a sentencing option for the most heinous of crimes over which they have jurisdiction."

That is true, nevertheless, Serbian leader Slobodan Milosevic, an innocent man, died in his cell from a treatable heart condition. https://consortiumnews.com/2016/08/24/the-bogus-humanitarian-war-on-serbia/

Please list the groups and individuals supporting Prop 66. I want names of front groups, as well. They are the sickness of a very ill justice system. And, what is the point of 24/7 cost++ imprisonment of an 86 year old? I know in this country's injustice system we must continually follow the $$$. Behind every extraordinary privilege written into the law of this country is a hidden exemption for someone or some groups' personal gain. I applaud the supporters of Prop 62. But, please let's keep peeling back the corrupted layers of this spoiled onion of a judicial and prison system. The real perps are still out there, in many cases.