Home | About | Donate

Call for DOJ Observers in North Dakota as DAPL Activists Face Severe Injuries, Arrests

Call for DOJ Observers in North Dakota as DAPL Activists Face Severe Injuries, Arrests

Nika Knight, staff writer

Water protectors battling the controversial Dakota Access Pipeline are grappling with terrible injuries and even more arrests in the wake of Sunday's police onslaught, in which law enforcement bombarded the peaceful activists with concussion grenades, rubber bullets, mace, and water cannons in sub-zero temperatures.

Call on kelcy.warren@energytransfer.com (CEO of the pipeline builder) to call off Sheriff Kirchmeier. But everything must be carefully documented. I'm sorry, it somewhat diminishes my trusting the story that the woman 'in peril of losing her arm' was posting on social media while she waited for the helicopter. I'm more impressed with the reports of tribal members calling out their prayers for the police as they crunched away in their frozen clothes, and with the town of Cannonball opening its HS gym as a refuge for those fleeing the violence.

This was just posted on facebook by Jordan Chariton of TYT. Chariton is an outstanding reporter; his reports on U.S. politics, including Standing Rock, and can be watched here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuMo0RRtnNDuMB8DV5stEag

Statement from Wayne Wilansky, father of 21-year-old water protector Sophia Wilansky.

“At around 4:30am after the police hit the bridge with water cannons and rubber bullets and pepper spray they lobbed a number of concussion grenades which are not supposed to be thrown at people directly at protesters or protectors as they want to be called. A grenade exploded right as it hit Sophia in the left forearm taking most of the undersurface of her left arm with it. Both her radial and ulnar artery were completely destroyed. Her radius was shattered and a large piece of it is missing. Her medial nerve is missing a large section as well. All of the muscle and soft tissue between her elbow and wrist were blown away. The police did not do this by accident - it was an intentional act of throwing it directly at her. Additionally police were shooting people in face and groin intending to do the most possible damage. Sophia will have surgery again tomorrow as bit by bit they try to rebuild a somewhat functioning arm and hand. The first surgery took a vein from her leg which they have implanted in her arm to take the place of the missing arteries. She will need multiple surgeries to try to gain some functional use of the arm and hand. She will be, every day for the foreseeable future, fearful of losing her arm and hand. There are no words to describe the pain of watching my daughter cry and say she was sorry for the pain she caused me and my wife. I died a thousand deaths today and will continue to do so for quite some time. I am left without the right words to describe the anguish of watching her look at her now alien arm and hand.”

This is just more proof that if we do not defeat this pipeline and cut off this black snakes head, it will come back later to bite us all.

Question: why are they called "law enforcement"? When they are really VIOLENT, water devastating goons for the $3.8 BILLION DOLLAR DAPL!

Folks, we all need to make a stand for the Lakota Sioux at Standing Rock; otherwise, who's next?

Thank you for passing along this detailed account.

The NY Daily News story (since she's from NYC) linked in the OP I believe included a link to a GoFundMe set up to cover her medical expenses. I hope also to hear of a lawsuit filed against the Morton County Sheriff's Department, and I hope someone has collected the shards of the grenade. The Daily News story indicated that the Sheriff had felt the need to hold a news conference and claim that the explosives came from the Protectors. I'm sure they'll claim Wilansky is one of those "professional protesters," but she appears to now be in the best position to put a stop to the attacks.

YOU BROUGHT ME TO MANY TEARS. OMFG I said what I am about to say on an other sites but I will say this again here and maybe someone will notice. The use of water cannons in sub zero temps is cruel and unusual punishment. it is torture plain and simple. It is worse than waterboarding. Stun grenades used on Americans on American Soil is a crime and possibly a Hate Crime and someone should go to jail. I no longer have any respect for Obama it is so gone. He could stop this in its tracks if he so chose but you won't hear a peep. He is culpable in this and ought to be charged. He could have stopped the car before the bank robbery but he did not. what is next armed drones? this is part of Obama's legacy now. I WILL PRAY FOR SOPHIA AND YOUR FAMILY. Please let us all know what you need and how you are doing.

NOT! It's bad enough at 28 Fahrenheit, sub-freezing, but overexaggerating (and this is just the most explicit exaggeration/misapprehension of your post) just gives the sheriff and other defenders ways to pick apart our arguments. Please, let's try to keep heads as level as the Water Protectors have kept theirs on scene, facing the attacks.

I join you in hoping that Miss Wilansky will sue, and I hope she ends up owning Morton County as a result of being awarded HUGE damages.

Just curious--in your first comment, you said that Miss Wilansky was posting on facebook after her injury. Where did you see that?

Her radial and ulnar arteries were destroyed, and part of her radial bone was missing. The medics on the scene were no doubt desperately trying to control the bleeding and to keep her warm. Shock kills. There is no way she was posting on facebook, and I've love to know who was posting this false narrative.

Saw the horrific picture of Sophia on Democracynow.

Pretty sure I got it from the OP. Your medical observations are exactly what made me bristle. Do note, however, that the "medics" would have been members of the Healers groups from the reservations, those trying to serve desperately underserved populations, but now extending themselves to deal with habitual, if not "professional," protestors like Wilansky and her friend. It's unsurprising to me, if frustrating, that the first "severe" injury is to a White woman from NYC.

Hi Nikki,

A disturbing phenomena that I have observed is that while many recognize that attack on Sophia Wilansky as outrageous, the normalization of such police brutality, by some in the mainstream media, has a tendency to lull many others, in the public, into acceptance of this degree of state sponsored violence as standard practice in handling unarmed protestors.

Hello bkswrites,

Much of the world and many engaged in science, are accustomed to the SI (International System of Units) for temperature - Celsius.

In this system, the freezing point of water is 0 Celsius. Thus, the water cannons were used in sub-zero Celsius temperatures.

In the US the antiquated Fahrenheit system is commonly used. Yes, it is bad practice to list values without units. This has led to many engineering disasters including the loss of a Mars orbiter ( http://edition.cnn.com/TECH/space/9909/30/mars.metric.02/ ). However, failure to identify units is not necessarily an over-exaggeration.

“Officers Douse Dakota Access Oil Pipeline Protesters With Water in Subfreezing Weather” (Denver Post, 11/21/16)

Specifically, "Fahrenheit remains the official scale for the following countries: the Bahamas, Belize, the Cayman Islands, Palau and the United States and associated territories (Puerto Rico, Guam and the U.S. Virgin Islands). Canada retains it as a supplementary scale that can be used alongside Celsius." https://www.quora.com/Which-countries-use-Fahrenheit-as-a-measurement-of-temperature

And North Dakota is still in the US, though significant parts being sold out to Canadian interests such as Energy Transfer. Therefore this science writer/editor's objection to using whichever unspecified scale sounds worse.

I watch BBC news almost nightly and have many Canadian friends on Facebook. I'm very accustomed to figuring out when to be alarmed by reported temperatures.

It is a poor reflection on US journalism that much reporting on the resistance to DAPL has been from non-US media organizations. Perhaps the origin of the sub-zero temperature comes from a source that reported the temperature in Celsius, perhaps not. 'American exceptionalism' notwithstanding, measurements require units.

I find myself wondering just where you stand on this topic. I also must state that I agree with you on many of your posts.
You have me confused and doubting your 'true' viewpoints on this topic.

Your "Do note, however" means exactly what? Are the "medics' inept in your opinion? Are they one sided because they support the well being and health of those on the line along with the general population? Exactly where do you see them "extending themselves"? What is your source of information to state that Wilansky is an "habitual, if not "professional, protestor"?

You state: It's unsurprising to me, if frustrating, that the first "severe" injury is to a White (capitalization of white is duly noted) woman from NYC. What exactly is meant by that? Is that a point against the pipeline protectors or the water protectors?

The medics or medical staff are there for all those individuals involved in the protection of their; our, water. They are protectors, not protestors. Recognize the fact that it is 'pipeline protectors' who are using unjustified force against the water protectors and that the bulk: if not the entire flow, of this oil is destined for parts unknown. This oil is not for us. this oil is to fatten the wallets of those who care more about profit than the lives of those who will be directly affected by a break. We the taxpayers will subsidize this pipeline moving millions of gallons more oil than trucks and trains to benefit the few who already have too much.

Your peaceful stance is recognized for what it is and once again I believe you have over stepped your bounds.

The only way things are gonna change is when lives are lost. Sorry, that's where things stand.
Stand with Standing Rock!
Our time is running out​:v:
Can't wait for our veterans to show on Dec.3rd.
May change the tone.
Veterans for peace or armed veterans?
That is my question.:v:

I agree. The tentative nature of the comments you indicate sounded disrespectful as well as callous, not to mention ungrateful for the very few Americans who are willing to put their lives in jeopardy to protect a natural resource that should be held sacrosanct by all humanity...not to mention all living beings and the Earth itself if it had a voice. We are all Native Americans now...I say that with deepest humility and apologies to any Native Americans who are offended at my hubris. Thank you for your sacrifice and commitment.

Sophia Wilansky had most of her left forearm blown away. Possibly she is right-hand dominant and was able to post messages with one hand. I believe that sort of thing can happen.