Home | About | Donate

Calling for Global Action, WHO Chief Says World May Only Be Seeing 'Tip of the Iceberg' With Coronavirus

When persons fly directly from China to USA they are forcibly placed in quarantine. According to the Department of Homeland Security, U.S. citizens are subject to up to 14 days of mandatory quarantine. U.S. citizens who have been to other parts of China will undergo a health screening at the airport and could face up 14 days of self-quarantine. Last week 195 persons were quarantined at a military base in California.
Should we let these people and all those on lock down in China run free? What exactly is your solution for containment?

The reason Chinese hasn’t suffered economically has to do with the Jan-Feb Chinese New Year holiday. Everything has been shut down. It is longer than the American winter break and longer than the Chinese school summer break. The next week is a scheduled work week, so that week will affect business more.
I share your sentiment, though. It sounds like the climate reporters with their last chance warnings.

2 Likes

Correct me if i am wrong but corona virus is pneumonic plague which the guardian article reported last november in Beijing.

ttps://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/nov/13/two-people-diagnosed-with-pneumonic-plague-in-china

A more detailed account on the same date from the NYT:

ttps://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/13/world/asia/plague-china-pneumonic.html

Boy, that’s a non-sequitur.

Still, I’ll point out a couple of misunderstandings. (1) There are now reports of people being infected and not showing symptoms for 24 days. (2) Health screenings are nothing but taking one’s temperature. (3) China began by denying and covering up the outbreak. They are now in chaos and quarantines are being used indiscriminately, throwing the likely infected together with the possibly uninfected and thereby likely spreading the disease further. Quarantines are also being used punitively against people who have been reporting the real situation via social media. (4) Chinese numbers are completely made up. A simple quadratic has been used to predict in advance the numbers that would be reported over the next 10 days. Reports are suggesting crematoria are running 24 hours and deaths are not being recorded. Numbers of reported infections appear to be merely a reflection of the number of text kits available.

1 Like

What you are saying is frightening because my current plans are to ride it out in China, staying put. What I haven’t liked about Western media reporting is the way they use the numbers for every single day to spin the status of the outbreak. So unprofessional. Oh whew today the numbers are way up, it is exploding!!! Oh yay the numbers are way down today, looks like it is winding down.

1 Like

I understand. If you want to track some details of this illness, this guy is very good:

(h)ttps://www.youtube.com/user/Campbellteaching/featured

No YouTube if you don’t have a VPN and I don’t.

These guys have a free version (it won’t be particularly fast):
(h)ttps://protonvpn.com

These guys are known for being reliable on the security front:
(h)ttps://mullvad.net/en/

Or you could just use the Tor browser:
(h)ttps://www.torproject.org/download/

Note that for Tor, you may need to use pluggable transports to obfuscate your traffic:
(h)ttps://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/PluggableTransports
and
(h)ttps://tor.void.gr/docs/pluggable-transports.html.en

1 Like

No YouTube, google, Wikipedia except sometimes.
No NYT, atimes, WSJ, some others CNN comes and goes.

1 Like

Take care, Helen. I feel for you and wishing you the best from here in HK.

Watch out in Hong Kong too! I’m afraid to go there anymore.

How will the world climate be affected if 1.3 billion people slash their travel for a month? It is happening.

2 Likes

And then there is this little-known fact: Some Chinese researchers are in the habit of selling their laboratory animals to street vendors after they have finished experimenting on them.

(h)ttps://nypost.com/2020/02/22/dont-buy-chinas-story-the-coronavirus-may-have-leaked-from-a-lab/

A friend had just sent me that article! One guy made a million dollars selling his lab animals!

Unbelievable.