Home | About | Donate

Calling Treatment of Julian Assange 'Psychological Torture,' UN Expert Demands End to US Extradition Attempt

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/05/31/calling-treatment-julian-assange-psychological-torture-un-expert-demands-end-us

2 Likes

“Some folks were tortured.”
–Barack Hussein Obama, demonstrating his mastery of the exculpatory passive voice

10 Likes

Assange , since being arrested by the British Government has grown seriously ill. I do not think it just psychological torture that goes on here. Remember there was a point when Assange was in the Ecuadorian Embassy where a group of peoples unnamed tried to break into the same. It has long been speculated on by those “tin hat conspiracy theorists” that Assange would not live long enough to go to trial.

8 Likes

If he has an honest atty. conditions will be reported.
So why is Assange made to be accountable, but the charging authority not?

1 Like

Full United Nations Human RIghts report here: https://ohchr.org/EN/NewsEvents/Pages/DisplayNews.aspx?NewsID=24665&LangID=E

1 Like

…with a shrug!

neoliberals need to be crushed

7 Likes

He didn’t even bother to say “terrorists”. He said “folks”. Which may well be truer, but certainly sounds very weird.

3 Likes

It must have surprised tptb when all the mainstream media turned against them on the espionage charges. I guess they knew they were going to have a problem when even Rachel Maddow came out against the ploy. They thought everyone was sufficiently softened up to allow it to fly. Assange is very dangerous to them because of all the information he is privy to. Including who he really got the DNC emails from.

3 Likes

Folks like Assange, Manning and Snowden!

6 Likes

Thankyou mr Meltzer. At last a voice to tell another truth.

4 Likes

Torture and killing by medical neglect seems to go on a lot in U.S. prisons. Black Agenda Report covered what they did to Mumia Abu Jamal. There’s been stories about how immigrant children have been killed that way by the system. Glenn Greenwald commented that this is what they are doing to Assange:

5 Likes

Caitlin Johnstone covered this story too:

4 Likes

I am ashamed of my Country America and I apologize to those who gave their lives to protect our Freedom.

What the Hell happened to NUMERO UNO, NUMBER ONE, THE FIRST AMENDMENT???

This above everything else, FREEDOM OF SPEECH was chosen as our FIRST AMENDMENT.

Now this prized privilege is being trashed and discarded by those who were exposed as war criminals.

Disregard the Crimes that were exposed and concentrate on punishing those that exposed the crimes.

America the Country that the world recognized as a people with integrity and honor has turned into a Country run by a bunch of gangsters trying to hide the Crimes they committed.

Locking up Assange and Mistreating him for upholding the First Amendment makes me ashamed to be an American in the Bush, Obama, Trump Era.

6 Likes

From the Star Chamber to Kangaroo Courts, the world has been on this dark road before. Who needs a court anyway? Just off with their heads; try them later. Julian was a beacon and they want him doused/out.

1 Like

Live in half an hour, Consortium News will have a three-hour online discussion with hosts Elizabeth Vos and Joe Lauria:

OMG. I truly hope he may be willing to give up that information. It is just so damned crucial to opening up the door for ALL to see and to finally give the slap to the face that is needed to wake up so many people in the states.

And yet many still think that Obama was the greatest president ever!

I agree that the authority cares nothing about justice. Meanwhile where is the Australian gov. in all of this?

2 Likes

This a link to an article describing how Prison Employees refused to give a man they were holding in their cells water for 7 days and how that prisoner died of dehydration.

https://www.blacklistednews.com/article/72985/taxpayers-shell-out-record-675m-after-cops-deprived-man-of-water-for-7-days-until-he.html

The punishment for the guard involved? 60 days work leave at no pay. Meanwhile a guy who tries to leave water for migrants in the desert faces 20 years in prison.

Find something like this happening in a prison in China and Russia and the US media would be all over it and as the article makes clear this not the first time the US Prison system refused water to a prisoner as punishment…

5 Likes

Obama still seems great when you picture between Bush and Trump.