Home | About | Donate

Calling US Women a Politically Powerful "Supermajority," Veteran Organizers Launch Movement to Fight for "Women's Agenda"

Calling US Women a Politically Powerful "Supermajority," Veteran Organizers Launch Movement to Fight for "Women's Agenda"

Julia Conley, staff writer

Several influential progressive women on Monday launched a new grassroots movement aimed at building on the energy and political power of American women, who make up the majority of the U.S. population, voters, and grassroots donors—forming what the group calls a "Supermajority."

Brava, ladies, and more power to you. But I fear that as soon as you begin to be powerful, especially outside the “two” major parties, you’ll be confronted with a few individuals intent on co-opting your movement for their own personal self-aggrandizement (a certain loser of the 2016 presidential race comes to mind—and no, I don’t mean Dr. Jill Stein).

2 Likes

Unfortunately this looks a lot like identity politics. Sanders already has a “women’s agenda”. Universal single-payer healthcare (as opposed to “affordable healthcare” which I see in the article. In fact long-term care is also addressed in his bill. Free college tuition. Living wage. Green New Deal - women want a future for their children. And on the top of the list I would put a NO-WAR economy. Because we can’t have all the things we need while we are spending most of our taxes on wars and regime change. The issues are class/policy issues. When I see Gloria Steinham supporting this, I remember her “The girls are going where the boys are” 2016 Bernie Bro totally un-feminist comment. This looks to me like trying to corral women into an organization of centrist democrat ‘resistance’.

2 Likes