Home | About | Donate

Calls for Peace, Reconciliation as Women Make Historic Korean Border Crossing

Calls for Peace, Reconciliation as Women Make Historic Korean Border Crossing

Nadia Prupis, staff writer

An international group of women activists, including women's rights activist Gloria Steinem and two Nobel Peace laureates, on Sunday crossed the Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) between North and South Korea in a call for global peace and reconciliation.

"We are walking for a peaceful world, we are walking for a peaceful world," the activists sang as they crossed one section of the heavily fortified two-mile-wide zone.

We should be thankful that these women have the courage to plead for peace. They are bigger than all the war mongering politicians in the world such as our war mongering politicians in North America.

We have had five consecutive knee-jerk presidents. Before that we had a majority of presidents since WW I who were dyed in the wool knee jerk reactionaries. We have been ruled for more than a century by two knee-jerk parties, both of which become more knee-jerk daily.

What do we expect?

*"We should be thankful that these women have the courage to plead for
peace. They are bigger than all the war mongering politicians in the
world such as our war mongering politicians in North America."*

I came to this story, in a sour mood, thinking about the hundreds of thousands or in the case of the North, most certainly millions of people killed in 70 years of civil war, purges, and political imprisonments and both public and secret executions. But your quote is direct and to the point.

Can I just make a short plea to readers. I like many people for years assumed that the stories I heard about terrible human rights situation in North Korea were exaggerated until in the 90s i met and became friends with- a scientist, from Dandong China who I had a number of conversations with that made me - I mean, what he described sounded unspeakably horrible. He literally grew up within sight of North Korea. Right across the river. And people were starving to death in huge numbers there. FOR NO REASON

I don't want to get into a big argument with people, but I am just asking you to realize, this is a truly horrible situation. Since then I have met North Korean refugees. There are now more than 100 living in the US and more than 900 in the UK. Their stories are unspeakably heartbreaking and unfortunately they are true.

There is nothing even remotely resembling freedom of speech in North Korea.

Some very very large number of people have died there.
One of the things I do, this is not for entertainment, is a scan imaging of North Korea for clues into the deeper situation there.

Watch this video yes, the first person's testimony was changed slightly but it is actually basically true in all the major respects and tells usa lot about the sorry state of US journalism, always trying to simplify things- the reason he changed it was NOT MATERIAL TO THE MAIN ISSUES and in fact, he was born in Camp 14, when Camp 14 was south of the river and run by the Bowibu- It tells us some things that really need to be looked at, re- a shell game they play when closing camps and a lot of people vanish into thin air.

Speaking from experience, I have been to North Korea. It is true that they don't have enough food. Most North Koreans are shorter than their South Korean counterparts due to malnutrition. But the primary reason for their suffering is the international embargo placed on their country by the United States. Unification could occur overnight if it weren't for the objections of the U.S. government. The North feels compelled to spend the vast majority of their meagre income on a military that they feel is necessary to save their country from an imminent attack by the U.S.
Talks proved futile several years ago as the U.S. was unwilling to discuss any aid, unification possibilities, military de-escalation or any other topic of relevance unless the North first unconditionally and unilaterally agreed to disarm their measly nuclear stockpile without any preconditions whatsoever. That was not a negotiation, but rather a bullying tactic that was both insulting to all the other participants in the so-called six party talks and obviously unproductive. When I spoke to Christopher Hill (the leading negotiator for the U.S. at the time) off the record, he told me that his "hands were tied" and that he had "no room to maneuver" for a more acceptable treaty. In other words, the U.S. government never had any intention of establishing a lasting peace from the onset. This is not diplomacy, but rather the absence of diplomacy.
Mutual nuclear disarmament, a formal peace treaty to end the 66 year old war and a pledge by the U.S. to pull out of the South was the natural starting point for any discussion of peace. Instead the U.S. would not even allow the possibility of any meaningful discussions. No U.S. embassy exists in the North and incredibly the U.S. refuses to have any diplomatic contact with the North. Similar to Cuba and Iran, when the U.S. wishes to punish a country for resisting American corporatism, the results are horrifying.

Kim Jong Un must be the new leader of a united Korea!

Dear Space_cadet,

You said a lot of things and I dont have the energy to argue with you one by one. Unfortunately, the problems really do go back to a huge US and British mistake, the infamous Yalta percentages agreement - according to Churchill sketched out on a cocktail napkin, where Stalin, Churchill and a dying Roosevelt divided up postwar Europe. At that meeting, Stalin also "agreed" to enter the war aganst the Japanese at some date in the future. Although the consensus is that neither Korea or Vietnam were even discussed at that meeting, the die was cast for the postwar divisions of both Korea and Vietnam along roughly their middles. This was a huge huge betrayal of the people of both Eastern Europe and Asia.

I'm curious, did you watch the video I linked? You should take a look at this book. http://www.reachdc.net/book2/KimJongIlHiddenWar.pdf

I had already heard about this, as I said earlier, from my friend from dandong who grew up literally across the river from North Korea during the early part of the "famine" years. The account in this book is consistent with what he told me. basically Kim Jong Il exiled three generations of the families of anybody who spoke a single ill word about the regime to remote regions of the country and intentionally starved millions of people to death. This is not a joke.

Its also likely, as you can read in the PDF, that he also killed his own father. This is the father of the current leader, Kim Jong Eun.

please watch the videos here and then you can judge for yourself if people are telling the truth.

http://webtv.un.org/search?term=dprk+seoul

http://webtv.un.org/search?term=dprk+tokyo

http://webtv.un.org/search?term=dprk+london

http://webtv.un.org/search?term=dprk+washington

If you are looking for information about the darker side of human experience and cult psychology you will find a lot there. Feel free to ask me where things happened, if I can make a decent guess i would be happy to supply GPS coordinates. Then you can see for yourself.

It used to be that people on this forum actively protested the (then) military government of South Korea. Times have changed. The last two military rulers of South Korea have served time in prison. Protester against the military government Kim Dae Jung has served a term as President. South Korea is a democracy, and about the only objection people here have to South Korea is to 'inequality' and that companies like Hyundai and Samsung are private corporations rather than worker owned-and-operated.

The people here pride themselves on protesting oppression. So why do they balk at protesting against the North Korean government, which arbitrarily shells South Korean islands, and a few weeks ago executed its defense minister with anti-aircraft guns, BECAUSE he napped during a Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un speech?

a2plush has brought up some history that may be better buried. Perhaps they don't want to be friends with us because we illegally invaded Iraq, turned our backs on an Australian who was imprisoned and tortured without cause by the US army, or because of the US torture of prisoners in Abu Graib or because the Australian Government dumped a handicapped Australian citizen at an airport in the Philippines, or that Australians, per capita, are the worst polluters in the world. We are not over brimming with virtue ourselves but we can hold the door open for communication with fellow human beings. If there is an opportunity to communicate we should grab it with both hands.

The problem is, though, if indeed you had heard the anguished stories I have and looking at people's faces, many bear scars, you can just tell they are telling the truth. As I said earlier, i have spent a lot of time combing space imagery of North Korea looking for where the missing people might have been sent. There are a huge number of "walls" of various kinds there. Every "county" has checkpoints between it and the next and skillfully concealed fences going up on either side of it to prevent people simply walking around them. Recently work has been put into concealing them better.. typically they have moved them a bit away, put up some camouflage netting or something. Some roads in certain parts of the country have multiple checkpoints.

Korean burial custom involves making a small mound. In some areas there are literally hundreds of thousands of new mounds. They go on and on.