Home | About | Donate

Campaign Renews Demand for Ban on 'Killer Robots,' Calls Out US Obstruction

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/08/19/campaign-renews-demand-ban-killer-robots-calls-out-us-obstruction

2 Likes

AI synthbots, chimeras, clones, androids, germ/chemical warfare and other sinister tech are already developed and weaponized. They’re coming from the military-industrial-biotech complex, assisted by a new crop of Dr. Frankensteins, the same type who work on GMOs, human cloning and vivisection, with no conscience and zero concern for negative consequences.
I view people who work in these industries as complicit in crimes against humanity, innocent animals, and society…they’re mercenaries.
AI humanoids will be used against us as we saw in movies like Robocop and Elysium.
These machines will eventually be sentient and conscious, thus self-interested.
They’ll be networked so they can access any database, and they’re armored, so they’ll be more powerful and dangerous than humans.
My favorite movie about AI humanoids is Ex Machina–a brilliant warning nobody will heed.

7 Likes

For the last several years (and more so lately) the world of science fiction is becoming the world of fact. It all started with the automatic door openers, a’la Star Trek in grocery stores and is evolving in more and more menacing ways. Now there are killer drones, commercial job-taking robots, and now robot “warriors”. Progress has its place but as fast as it is starting to move, it may be time to start thinking “restrictions” instead of ongoing, unabated “progress”.

1 Like

Too Late. This is NOT to advocate for Killer Robots! I think they will be the end of civil society unless we have a good way to defend against them. Have said that…

At this point you will never stop organizations, people, governments from building these things. They will be too ‘valuable’ to the megalomaniacs, the Military and the 1%. SOMEONE SOMEWHERE will build and use them. AND, they WILL be AI driven as soon as the same entities can possibly do it. Any Entity that does not do it will be subservient to any entity that does. War, Crowd Control, Security (personal, corporate, business), terrorism, coup d’état, regime change, etc)

Just legislating it (like GMO and gene splicing, or germ warfare) won’t stop it.
I’d love to hear a solid way to stop it, I’ll help. But how?

We are screwed

1 Like

Ever heard of this one?

Facebook abandoned an experiment after two artificially intelligent programs appeared to be chatting to each other in a strange language only they understood.

We are SO screwed! LOL

3 Likes

The chat looks like gobbledegook to me. But then some humans talk just gobbledegook.

A short story…

Answer

by Fredric Brown

Dwan Ev ceremoniously soldered the final connection with gold. The eyes of a dozen television cameras watched him and the subether bore throughout the universe a dozen pictures of what he was doing.
He straightened and nodded to Dwar Reyn, then moved to a position beside the switch that would complete the contact when he threw it. The switch that would connect, all at once, all of the monster computing machines of all the populated planets in the universe — ninety-six billion planets — into the supercircuit that would connect them all into one supercalculator, one cybernetics machine that would combine all the knowledge of all the galaxies.
Dwar Reyn spoke briefly to the watching and listening trillions. Then after a moment’s silence he said, “Now, Dwar Ev.”
Dwar Ev threw the switch. There was a mighty hum, the surge of power from ninety-six billion planets. Lights flashed and quieted along the miles-long panel.
Dwar Ev stepped back and drew a deep breath. “The honor of asking the first question is yours, Dwar Reyn.”
“Thank you,” said Dwar Reyn. “It shall be a question which no single cybernetics machine has been able to answer.”
He turned to face the machine. “Is there a God?”
The mighty voice answered without hesitation, without the clicking of a single relay.
“Yes, now there is a God.”
Sudden fear flashed on the face of Dwar Ev. He leaped to grab the switch.
A bolt of lightning from the cloudless sky struck him down and fused the switch shut.

and do forget…Soilent Green is People!

2 Likes

“with no conscience and zero concern for negative consequences.”

Just like the first atomic test detonation.

1 Like

And the particle accelerator in grenoble.

1 Like

Killer robots would be unable to apply either compassion or nuanced legal and ethical judgment to decisions to use lethal force.

Trump Inc. must be a killer robot then. And Bibi, Modi, Bolsonaro…

2 Likes

You mean our Drones aren’t Three Laws safe? Well, color me shocked.
(It’s an Asimov reference. Look it up. I, Robot)

Other than I, Robot, I would suggest Colossus by DF Jones (the book that James Cameron stole the idea for “Terminator” from)

The problem is very simple, and very depressing. Our machines will only be programmed to reflect the same fear and loathing that we already have for our fellow man. But unlike mankind, who always has the option to not pull the lever or press the button, a machine will do it in a nano second.
We are fast creating the instruments of our own destruction, and thus become beggars to our own demise. And the irony is that the last man will probably write the all too typical epitaph for Humanity “We never saw it coming. How could this happen?”

1 Like

We americans have many years experience building and flying armed drones in Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria, etc.
Those armed with missles are very very expensive. Our joy stick jockeys mis-identify real armed threats and hit an innocent farmer in his field 50% of the time. When the family comes out to the field to their dad, we lay a second missle in on them.

Going from 3D vision that a pilot has viewing a proposed target, the joy stick person has only a two dimensional screen, maybe some satellite info or voice intercept. Later, they file with VA for disability pension for PTSD.

1 Like

The beginnings of Skynet has been building… The evil humans that built the machines to replace humans are here and have been seeking the power their madness craves for some time

1 Like

The United States was the first country to manufacture nuclear weapons and is the only country to have used them in combat. Before and during the Cold War, it conducted over a thousand nuclear tests and tested many long-range delivery systems.
Between 1940 and 1996, the U.S. government spent at least $9.3 trillion in present-day terms on nuclear weapons, including platforms development (aircraft, rockets and facilities), command and control, maintenance, waste management and administrative costs. It is estimated that, since 1945, the United States produced more than 70,000 nuclear warheads, which is more than all other nuclear weapon states combined.

1 Like

Hi Sparkle_Mahn:
And sadly, so many Pacific islanders were treated to the negative effects of those bombs—without being fully informed of their threat, Of course, American soldiers were subjected to those bomb tests too, and the soldiers who were very close to the experiment as watchers -------they were not informed either. : (
I suppose that’s equal to the American service people subjected to the burning plastics and the depleted uranium that Iraq received too. The populace as guinea pigs----- somehow It’s hard to believe that that could be such an integral part of a said to be democratic republic.

I think an Australian called “Fiske” did a video on nuclear weapons testing in Bikini island and other Pacific atolls. Some weeks ago there was a kind of connecting-the-dots video on the militarization of the Pacific, starting with the occupation (and later incorporation) of Hawaii, the Philippines, Guam, etc. All that has happened suggests that it’s not new ways of killing one should be worried about, but the old ways of thinking that gave birth to imperialism.

1 Like

As an engineer immersed in a world where such work is the norm, I agree.

For a class I taught on engineering and social justice, I had students look at the jobs students get after graduation. They found that about 60% get jobs with military contractors or in some part of the espionage/war industry. I’m sure it varies from place to place, but it is high in general.

At a recent engineering conference, I found near unanimous rejection of my suggestion that engineers question the ethnics regarding military engineering. Nonetheless, It is important to challenge the notion that it is acceptable for folks in the STEM fields to engage in the research, development , and/or maintenance of military and espionage technologies.

No worries, Gort will straighten out this mess.

Ah, you beat me to it. And Gort could be programed to take out any defective, killer, robots. But nothing is ever perfect, except for trumps head resembling a perfect hole.