Home | About | Donate

'Can Anybody Still Deny That We Are Facing a Dramatic Emergency?' Asks UN Chief at Climate Summit

How does one “force your politicians” to do anything?

Facing a dramatic emergency? We’re not even seeing it, while it slaps us in the face every day. The slaps are gonna get harder.

Here in Vermont, Vermont Gas–yes, full of gas–is greenwashing fracked gas from Canada as “renewable natural gas”.

My letter to the mayor of Burlington:

Dear Mayor Weinberg:

While I do not live in Burlington I do in fact live in Vermont but also am part of the global community so it is NOT o.k. on continuing the use of fossil fuels as it affects all of us and the latest mendacious nonsense is claiming such a thing as “renewable natural gas” in an attempt at greenwashing by Vermont Gas.

99% of their product is still fracked. Just shy of 1% of their product they distribute is coming from so-called “renewable” sources– namely a landfill in Quebec.By FY2022, Vermont Gas’ goal is to have just 720 (1.4%) of their customers signed up for RNG. THIS IS NOT A CLIMATE SOLUTION– but they’re still advertising it as one!

I am looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Giovanna Lepore

3 Likes

I too have seen similar in China going back many years. There are many communities with solar panels on every building and home. And tall glass towers, also have windows that can be opened to let in fresh air and for cooling thereby limiting air-conditioning! Apparently, America is still to figure these things out, or something.

3 Likes

‘Can Anybody Still Deny That We Are Facing a Dramatic Emergency?’

Easy Answer: Any Elected/Selected Republican, can and will deny.

3 Likes

Yes, the Chinese are once again way ahead of us in long term thinking and actions, leading to the only possible US conclusion: they must be killed.

5 Likes

Thank you for your first hand insights. Although all of us realize China is still a net polluter, they are at least moving in the right direction while we step on the gas pedal in our gas guzzling SUV’s headed straight for the cliff. We are so fracked up.

2 Likes

on top of that we’ve entered the undulating realm of exponential functions in predatory late stage capitalism, exacerbated by unanticipated feedback loops in both nature and in human activities. The hyper-massive examples of mining - where most folks have not got the slightest inkling of the sheer scale of extraction and usurpation required by the current model.

The current model is CRIMINAL. This not hyperbole. Simply imagine the trumper and apply the exponential function to demographics - especially “migration” which is a misnomer. These are REFUGEES. Note also that those feedback loop dynamics are manifesting among western social groups psychologically.

3 Likes

Things were getting bad there, and people were having breathing problems. They know that now is the time for action.

1 Like

America is squandering it all on “wars of choice” in the Mideast.

4 Likes

Actually, she didn’t. She hoarded the money.

In Calcutta, one meets many doubters.

For example, Samity, a man of around 30 with no teeth, who lives in the slums. He is one of the “poorest of the poor” to whom Mother Teresa was supposed to have dedicated her life. With a plastic bag in hand, he stands in a kilometer long queue in Calcutta’s Park Street. The poor wait patiently, until the helpers shovel some rice and lentils into their bags. But Samity does not get his grub from Mother Teresa’s institution, but instead from the Assembly of God, an American charity, that serves 18000 meals here daily.

“Mother Teresa?”says Samity, “We have not received anything from her here. Ask in the slums — who has received anything from the sisters here — you will find hardly anybody.”

Pannalal Manik also has doubts. “I don’t understand why you educated people in the West have made this woman into such a goddess!”

Manik was born some 56 years ago in the Rambagan slum, which at about 300 years of age, is Calcutta’s oldest. What Manik has achieved, can well be called a “miracle”. He has built 16 apartment buildings in the midst of the slum — living space for 4000 people. Money for the building materials — equivalent to DM 10000 per apartment building — was begged for by Manik from the Ramakrishna Mission [a Indian/Hindu charity], the largest assistance-organisation in India. The slum-dwellers built the buildings themselves. It has become a model for the whole of India. But what about Mother Teresa? “I went to her place 3 times,” said Manik. “She did not even listen to what I had to say. Everyone on earth knows that the sisters have a lot of money. But no one knows what they do with it!”

In Calcutta there are about 200 charitable organisations helping the poor. Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity are not amongst the biggest helpers: that contradicts the image of the organisation. The name “Mother Teresa” was and is tied to the city of Calcutta. All over the world admirers and supporters of the Nobel Prize winner believe that it must be there that her organisation is particularly active in the fight against poverty. “All lies,” says Aroup Chatterjee . The doctor who lives in London was born and brought up in Calcutta. Chatterjee who has been working for years on a book on the myth of Mother Teresa, speaks to the poor in the slums of Calcutta, or combs through the speeches of the Nobel Prize winner. “No matter where I search, I only find lies. For example the lies about schools. Mother T has often stated that she runs a school in Calcutta for more than 5000 children. 5000 children! — that would have to be a huge school, one of the biggest in all of India. But where is this school? I have never found it, nor do I know anybody who has seen it!” says Chatterjee.

Whole article at ~https://deeshaa.org/wuellenweber-where-are-her-millions/

Unless something miraculous happens, we are going to go through this.

In 100 years, this planet will be transformed for the worse. In 1000 years I hope humans have all this digital documentation about how it all happened, the lies that were told, the fears that were played on, the greed that dominated.

Thanks. I’m not a fan of Mother Teresa. I used her as an example of people that are many point to as “Exceptionally Good”. My point is that, capitalism is a system that, inherently, promotes inequality, oppression, and unsustainablity regardless of who the CEOs are.

3 Likes

Natural gas is naturally renewable in about 100 million years. One solution is to find a natural gas supplier willing to accept a check postdated 100 million years from now.

2 Likes

Like this:

~https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/dec/12/jeff-bezos-amazon-workers-covid-19-scrooge-capitalism

1 Like

So, that settles it!

we MUST bail out the NUKE AND DIRTY GAS AND OIL INDUSTRIES IMMEDIATELY so people start polluting like they used to, again!

And tear down all affordable housing without delay!

Thanks for the link, wingsofadove. Bezos biggest problem now, is the challenge of finding a way to handling all the wealth he is accumulating. His profiteering from his online purchasing system, his warehouse automation, and his data storage centers provides an excellent example of the degree to which the engineering/tech community has allowed themselves to become tools of corporate capitalism.

These days, there is a resurgence of Keynesianism, and the notion that all that is needed are a mix of capitalist incentives and some government initiatives. I guess I should have added that it doesn’t matter who the CEOs are, who their government minions are, what the incentives are, or what top-down created/run government bureaucracies/initiatives they create; Capitalism will always ensure inequality and a ravaging of human being and the environment.

1 Like

That sums it up perfectly.

I’ll be borrowing that

3 Likes

Yea,
‘holding their feet to the fire’
“working from within the Party”
“push them to the Left”
“Vote”
and several other tired cliches we use, are a waste to time anymore.

But many here knew we wouldn’t get out of this by voting

1 Like

Gaia determined millennia ago that our species would become a cancer, and put us on a course that would end in our extinction. Thus, the UN chief is in a hopeless contest!

Americans don’t want to believe anything that might distrubed their lifestyle of over consumption of everything and the nations and world’s exploitable nature. Without that change we cannot go nowhere. Whose going to be the bad guys that tell Americans and the West that we need to change?

I can’t believe that year after year with fire devastation and flooding and hurricanes there are not more people believing and demanding action from our people and politicians.

1 Like