Home | About | Donate

Can Simply Living Near a Fracking Site Send You to the Hospital?

Can Simply Living Near a Fracking Site Send You to the Hospital?

Nadia Prupis, staff writer

People living near "unconventional gas and oil drilling" operations were more likely to be hospitalized for heart, nervous system, and other medical conditions than those who were not in proximity to those sites, a new study published Wednesday has found.

If you can rent it, or buy it, get the 1990 movie "The Two Jakes" starring Jack Nichelson. In it, angled drilling (fracking) under other people's houses is destroying Los Angeles. The Villain, a Texas Oil driller wearing a ten-gallon cowboy is contaminating everyone's drinking water. The methane in wells is making it explode when lit.

I didn't realize this movie was non-fiction at the time. But a friend who worked there let me know "The Mulrays" in this film are based on the rich family in LA who started the DWP monopoly (dept Water and Power) which was simultaneously allowing gas drilling and pumping contaminated water to residents.

Outstanding flick. You will love it. I can't find the part where the villain lets Jake know he's causing all the Earthquakes with his drilling rigs, but it's in there.