Home | About | Donate

Canada At Risk of Sinking in Trump's Political Tsunami

Canada At Risk of Sinking in Trump's Political Tsunami

Antonia Zerbisias

When economic waves come out of Washington, they rock Canada.

Now, with the Donald Trump tsunami heading towards the White House, Canadians fear their already floundering economy could be sunk.

Won't the tsunami be stopped by the "Great Wall of Trump" that Donald is constructing on our borders?

A bit worrisome. The currently flush state of the Canadian economy which allows them to happily vote for the Liberal party being largely the result of massive sales of oil-sands petroleum to the US; which, ironically, paid for the previous rise of the rightwing in Alberta which swept the country. A rightwing resembling the new American Republican party more than the traditional Canadian conservative parties in its appeal to basic aggressiveness and hostility.
Said Liberal party leading the nation in consideration of the need to reduce worldwide consumption of said petroleum.
So, does Mr. Trump's protectionism squeeze Canada's economy and drive it rightward again? Or does his climate change denial play a role?
Stay tuned!

Canada can look to its own history for the solution to its economic woes. Before 1974 Canada had a publicly owned central bank that created its money and the economy was strong and not dependent on exports for its wealth. Then the central bank was privatized and it has been a roller coaster ride since.
Here is a good article by Ellen Brown that will be informative in the dangers of privatization which Trudeau is also promoting. She is the author of "Web of Debt" which I consider the most important book of the 21st century. By the way international trade worked well for many years without trade deals like NAFTA which only helped the corporations and not the people. All three members of the deal lost jobs and average wages since. http://www.publicbankinginstitute.org/trump?utm_campaign=pbinews11_17_16&utm_medium=email&utm_source=pbi

We're not thinking of TPP as a trade deal, are we?

It's a treaty that usurps National Sovereignty.

It is a treaty, that usurps National Sovereignty.

I don't know about the Canadian economy, but NAFTA has been a bad deal for US workers. I'm glad the TPP is likely dead. Both NAFTA and TPP were written by corporations and thus by definition are bad deals. Being opposed to TPP is about the only position Trump has taken that I agree with - Canada would be smart to separate from the US - of that I agree.

Also, there are far too many Canadian mining companies creating havoc on peoples and the environment around the globe. To deal with climate change, globalization will need to be done in a much smarter way - less trade volume overall, less corporate domination of decision-making, and much greater focus on sustainability and justice, among things.

It's not the US (as in people of the United States) that have negotiated to its advantage, it is corporate America that has done so. The evidence of the consequences of NAFTA (and other so-called trade deals) is overwhelming - the American people have been hurt. I'm glad TPP will not be and so are millions of progressives in the US (and Canada).