Home | About | Donate

Canada Election Debate: May Stands Out for Greens as Trudeau Stumbles for Liberals

Canada Election Debate: May Stands Out for Greens as Trudeau Stumbles for Liberals

Mick Sweetman, rabble.ca

Green Party leader Elizabeth May schooled her opponents in the first leaders debate of the federal election on Thursday, and it's a good thing she did as, so far, it's the only one that will see her debate the other major party leaders.

May was dropping her deep knowledge of a wide range of policy issues and aptly handling the opening question to her on how the Green Party would boost the economy.

As an American-Canadian who has lived 30 years in both countries as well as 12 years elsewhere and who has in different elections voted for 4 different political parties in Canada and who has worked for two parties locally my opinion is that this article is biased towards Elizabeth May and against Tom Mulcair. The reason right wing corporatists have been in power the last decade is because the "progressive" Canadian voters have a 3 way split between the Liberal Party, Green Party and the New Democrat Party. This split is perpetuated by Canadian Media (like this story) and serves the corporatists very well. Tom Mulcair IMHO won the debate hands down!

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

I don't know enough about Canadian politics to say who is better between the three non-conservative parties or their leaders. I just hope they don't blow it and that Harper stays in power.

For democracies it seems like we have the craziest election systems. In the US it always comes down to two political parties that are completely unresponsive to the people and most people hate. In Canada, as with other parliamentary systems, we have multiple parties that split the vote permitting some non-majority party to win and control the government. All because there is only one vote.

That could be remedied with runoff or instant runoff elections.

One thing Mr Mulcair committed to is introducing a PR system to the Electoral system.

While I am concerned about the move of the NDP towards the right over the years support for the NDP in this election might be better for green supporters in the long run.

If he does win and we can get PR the greens could easily get 30 plus seats in elections upcoming

Well, at least they allow the Green candidate in the debates up there...

If you didn't have a "first past the post" election system that would not be a problem. Canada needs to go to a runoff or instant runoff election syatem.

I agree. IMHO Trudeau did better than expected (really hard to ignore those 'not ready' ads) and May stood out for her ability to present facts and figures clearly. Mulcair got past his Question Period 'Angry Tom' characterization and was able to present himself as the best choice for our next Prime Minister.