Home | About | Donate

Canada to Withdraw From US-Led Bombing Campaign in Iraq and Syria

Thank you, thank you - Oh Canada!

Thank You Canada

Thank you, PM Trudeau. Is it true you will/have also canceled the advanced orders for the F-35, too? Let's hope so for your country's budgets sake, going forward.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

I'm always perceived something vaguely racist about that "true north strong and free" line - you know...the "great white north" - the imperialist global north (as opposed to the down-trodden global south)

But yes, it still certainly beats the awful militarist swagger and ridiculous melody (a British drinking song) of the US's anthem.

The most beautiful national anthem of all is the Romani ("Gypsy" is a racist slur) anthem. The words ("Gelem Gelem lungóne droménsa") start 2:20 into the performance. It brings tears to my eyes.

Checking .....

Harper is gone and the new guy is here. I wish the young man all the best. He will be dealing with very powerful global entities.
For now, I will simply wait and see how this Prime Minister conducts himself.
Thomas Gilbert-

Trudeau promised he would cancel them with no caveats.

Hi Yunzer, up here in Canuckistan 'The Great White North' is unanimously understood to refer to the snow..

It is also the skin color of the global northern-latitude people who historically have declared the right to colonize everyone darker completed.

The point is that the line implies a certain chauvinism about being "northern". We see this in the US as a prejudice by the northern states against southern states and southern-US accented English. It is just a personal observation and I have no intention of provoking an argument. As I wrote, the US national anthem is far worse.

The Great White North refers to snow, of course-and perhaps the occasional White Moose spotted in those parts: The Canadian Moby Dick. Nuthin' racist about it at all.

Good move.... Russia is probably gonna have the ISIS problem all wrapped up in a few months anyway.

That's good. They should withdraw from NATO, the British Commonwealth of Nations & break colonial ties with the UK.