Home | About | Donate

Candle Burning for the Victims of Violence in Iraq

Candle Burning for the Victims of Violence in Iraq

George Capaccio

I have walked the streets of Baghdad’s Karrada district when it was safe to do so. Before the U.S. invaded Iraq in 2003, no one worried about car bombs exploding in crowded markets, killing and maiming innocent people. In Karrada, the most recent atrocity committed on Iraqi soil has claimed over 200 lives, and the death toll is expected to rise. As Muslims around the world prepare to celebrate the end of Ramadan, the streets of Karrada are shrines for the dead. Candlelight and the sound of mourners weeping are all that’s left of a once vibrant part of the capital.

George,

Thanks for this eloquent outlining of our national leaders' culpability, and our own as citizens, for Iraq. When you described the Fourth of July scene in Boston, with bells and fireworks and militaristic music, I recall my own reaction, here in PA, to my town's 4th fireworks. I hoped, and was glad it rained and rained. As the war began in 2003, I saved the story of the first civilian casualty, a young woman who was quickly buried, in an Iraq parking lot. Since then, countless others.
Bush et al need to be held to account, the dead and their families cry out for it, though probably this is not going to happen. Perhaps your words, and those of many others, plus actions, will build to that consensus about wars of choice, in our own populace. I, and you and so many hope and will work for that time.

I had an Iraqi man come into my office a few years ago when I was still teaching at public university. He seemed well qualified and I was on my path out of the profession. I had no grant money for him. It broke my heart. He was in need and very much a person.

At the time (circa 2008), the office next to mine was occupied by an Iranian postdoc, helluva nice guy. We spoke frequently and deeply about many issues.

I curse all those who try to make me hate these souls.

Mr. Capaccio that is how I felt the night George W. Bush stood in front of a camera and announced the beginning of his mass murder, calling forth shock and awe. Like falling off a cliff, and I still can't see the bottom.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Ohhh…..the incessant pain of it all…..

And Tony Blair says the world is "better off" after the invasion of Iraq. Does he have any brains? Or eyes? or ears? We know he has no conscience.

Beautiful sentiments, beautiful words, Mr. Capaccio.

God Bless the givers, for they are the ones that are enriched with the gift of genuine compassion. What does compassion know of bombs, boundaries, borders, and bombast?

If you got any duller, you'd have to wear paint gloss.