Home | About | Donate

'Can't Surive on $7.25': On Labor Day, Nationwide Calls for $15 Minimum Wage

'Can't Surive on $7.25': On Labor Day, Nationwide Calls for $15 Minimum Wage

Jake Johnson, staff writer

Marches are taking place in hundreds of cities throughout the United States on Monday to celebrate the achievements of organized labor, call attention to President Donald Trump's war on workers, and demand a living wage and a union.

There is an organized political party that absolutely supports not only the fight for $15/hr., but also full-on single-payer government-run health care, free, tax-supported public college for all, securing and improving Social Security, slashing our military spending and aggression, and making sure the planet is inhabitable by ALL forms of life in perpetuity. That party is the GREEN PARTY of the U. S. We are here, we have ballot access, candidates running at all levels in upcoming elections, and a leadership and membership that are committed to refusing to be corrupted by big billionaire and lobbyist money and power plays. We are incorruptible at that level, with no reason to believe that that will change. This is the true people’s party. The party of the 99%. The party that knows we can do everything that needs to be done for the American people because there is plenty of money to do it if we TAX THE RICH AND SLASH THE DEFENSE BUDGET!

Please come join us in ending the institutional Democratic Party, that cares not a wit for real people. It can’t be reformed, so it must be ended! #Demexit to the Green Party 2017!

The Green Party has its finger on the pulse of what is needed in the USA. They had my vote in the Presidential election. It now needs to learn from the other parties on how to become a household name while, of course, avoiding corruption. Start merging with or incorporating all the other progressive parties to become one big and strong party. At least get a great publicist. It also needs to get more organized. The last rally we went to before the election was scattered with a need for the speakers (outside of Jill Stein) to become clearer and stronger in getting their messages across. It is on its way to getting there and needs to somehow pick up the pace because time is of the essence.

While I fully support a much higher minimum wage - I generally prefer the concept of a “living wage” than focusing on a specific number like $15. An adult working full time taking care of a child should be able to live without the need for food or rent or medical assistance. That would mean a minimum wage that changed automatically over time and might mean a different minimum wage in different locations around the country where costs of essentials might vary.

When my wife hired laborers , house cleaners, etc. she refused to pay them minimum wage.
She paid them $20 to $25 dollars an hour, cash. She even considered $15 an hour insulting. The stress of living from pay check to pay check is demoralizing and dangerous to ones mental and emotional health.

I’ll join you Genedebs.

I’m through with the lies, deceit, and thievery of the Duopoly.

The Green Party is now my home. As a matter of fact, our next monthly meeting in my county in Maryland is next Wednesday at a local coffee house a few miles from where we live.

The Green Party is the way to a better country, a better world, a better “you.”

I agree that the Democratic Party is so corrupt that it cannot be reformed and if nothing else, all the proof one needs is what the DNC did to a reformer in 2016 called Bernie Sanders!

According to the Alliance for a Just Society, a living wage (calculated a couple of years ago) is $17.87 per hours. They define a living wage as “one that allows families to meet their basic needs, without public assistance, and that provides them some ability to deal with emergencies and plan ahead. It is not a poverty or survival wage.”

Here’s what President Franklin Delano Roosevelt said about living wages. “In my Inaugural I laid down the simple proposition that nobody is going to starve in this country. It seems to me to be equally plain that no business which depends for existence on paying less than living wages to its workers has any right to continue in this country. By “business” I mean the whole of commerce as well as the whole of industry; by workers I mean all workers, the white collar class as well as the men in overalls; and by living wages I mean more than a bare subsistence level-I mean the wages of decent living.”

Also, too, the tremendous and almost unbearable irony of Labor Day is the people who have to work, e.g., convenience stores, other retail are the people who most need the day off!

I’ve been following this all morning on Twitter. Just saw a Burger King that was closed because of the strike. That was the second one I’ve heard about.

I haven’t heard it mentioned on NPR, though. The MSM are ignoring all these actions, which shows us just how much they think of the working class. It’s just not worth covering (unless cops come in and start busting heads, then the violence is newsworthy, but worker rights are not).

Ah-yup, raise the minimum wage to $15/hour and the price of a Big Muck goes up to $20, raise the minimum wage to $20 and a Big Muck goes to $25, etc., etc.  And meanwhile, what about us old geezers on fixed pen­sions (no COL increase) and Social Security (which goes up about 1/3 as fast as rent and other basics???

I don’t expect an ignoramus like you to actually find data to support your prejudices. However, if you’re interested in being anything other than a dickhead, you may want to find out what the data says. Please read John Schmitt’s survey article on the employment effects of raising the minimum wage at cepr.net.

First, there’s no statistically significant effect on employment from raising the minimum wage. You’ll see there are plenty of other adjustment mechanisms if you actually take the time and read the article and EDUCATE yourself!

Don’t forget the people in hospitals, nursing homes and assisted-living centers, et al. Which need security in center cities, etc.
There are millions of people working today so that when you or your child is in an accident, you hit your friend in the head while pitching horseshoes at the union picnics or you start the house on fire while barbecuing, someone’s at the ready and able.
" If we don’t hang together, Trump and his gang of white-collar hoodlums will try to hang us separately. "

There are cities that have raised the wage to $15 an hour.

Tell me, do Big Macs really cost $20 in those cities?

A. Profanity is the desperate attempt of a feeble mind to express itself forcefully.
      The same is generally true of ad-hominem attacks, although IMHO Tweetle-Dumb is fair game.

B. I said NOTHING WHATSOEVER about the effect of raising the minimum wage on employment.  My con­cern, since I am living on what is essentially a fixed income, is the effect of raising the minimum wage on my cost of living since employers will undoubtedly pass their higher costs along to us consumers in the form of higher prices on goods and services.  Rent, for example, has more than doubled in our neighborhood over
the past ten years or so, whereas my Social Security check has gone up only about seven or eight percent
and my pension by not even one penny.

Not yet, SFAIK – but I haven’t eaten at a Muck-Donalds in decades, so I can’t say for sure.

Oh, so…that was just something you made up out of thin air?

Knowing that you just made it up, and have nothing else to offer that would justify your assertion, really weakens your position.

Yes, instead of exaggerating for effect I should have said from $4 to $5, and then from $5 to $6, etc. etc.
Mea Culpa.
At least I got your attention . . .

Many years ago I was in a failing relationship. I went to a Counselor, and then talked him into coming. During the session I carefully explained everything I had to done to try and make the relationship work. The Counselor then turned to my partner and said “And you don’t care, do you?”. My partner jumped up and screamed, “NO I DON’T”.

I relate that to the wage issue. Those who own the businesses and Congress DON’T CARE if Workers can pay rent or buy food for their children, or have healthcare. Congress DOES NOT CARE. Congress does not have a conscience.

What the Green Party supports is utterly irrelevant to the real world. Far from being the “Party of the 99%” it is a party that can’t get 1% in most areas. It is hobby politics. Self righteousness feeds no one, heals no one, houses no one.

And you were a Hillary-bot all last year, and are still shilling for the status quo.