Home | About | Donate

'Care for This World': Echoing Pope's Climate Message, 13 Arrested at Gas Facility

'Care for This World': Echoing Pope's Climate Message, 13 Arrested at Gas Facility

Lauren McCauley, staff writer

"Love the Common Good" and "Care for This World"—these are the words of Pope Francis that were held aloft by protesters as they were arrested early Tuesday for blockading the entrances to a gas storage facility in upstate New York.

Forcing large trucks to idle beside the Crestwood Midstream gas storage facility gates, the demonstrators read aloud passages from the recent Papal Encyclical on climate change before they were taken into custody by Schuyler County deputies and charged with trespassing and disorderly conduct.

"During the read aloud, Rev. John Elder, a demonstrator and part-time
resident of Schuyler County who was not among those arrested, reiterated
the Pope's words: "

Nice job Rev. Drive in for the speech from the podium and a plug for the pope then dive out for the arrests. Committed to the cause for sure but don't blame him it was god's plan.

If you yourself weren't there and got arrested or if you've never been arrested at a protest of any kind then from where do you speak about the commitment of others. From back in the days of the Berrigan Brothers and many others who risked arrest, all were welcome at the demonstrations but not everyone chose to be arrested. That was always understood by the activists that the costs for some were different than for others. A woman with small children and no one to watch them while she would be incarcerated. A man who would risk losing his job or someone facing some other penalty not faced by the others. Some who took care of an infirm or elderly person etc. Everyone's personal life was different and only their care and concern was the same.

If you could then you did if that was what you felt moved to do. That was always understood but it was never required that you join with others in being arrested. That was their choice. It was only necessary that you supported them by being part of the protest.

So when were you ever arrested at a protest diveshopingoa?

For both you and thylacine. I point out the Rev.s behavior and his commitment for the reason that to stand in front of a crowd and encourage behavior for which you are personally placed in the hands of the police state without the commitment to also be arrested is an old trick. My behavior at protests is unimportant. It started when the government pulled my lottery ticket to a free trip to Vietnam. Since then I have been to more protests than the two of you combined up until two weeks ago when I stood with native Americans with banners and information to pass out for the support of Native tribes sovereign rights to protect a major river in our state.

As a member of different groups in my youth not unlike SDS we organized protests and tried to control chaos. One tactic was to get people in the crowd to do something which would get the police to attack. That attack on the crowd grows members on your side and believe me a rush by 20 fully armed and protected thugs do damage. One of the big points of this behavior was to get people arrested but not get arrested yourself. As an organizer of these events being arrested means attention and harassment by the cops and kills your effectiveness. It also puts at risk the others you are working with. Did not take me long to understand that this was cruel and mean way of revolution or protesting for what you want. No I was never arrested at a protest although I rarely miss one.

The point of protest is not getting arrested. In this case block the trucks until the police say if you do not move you are under arrest. So move. Your done. Go do it again some where else. You have just made them move and expend energy with little loss of your own. If you have been arrested you know it comes with the evil eye which you never quite escape and so are less effective and even unwanted in underground groups that are doing real things.

If you want to show yourself that you are a hero stop paying your income tax. It will free your mind from continually associating the US military's wonton killing to the fact that you are paying for that man, woman or child to die.

So you going to put your cards on the table, Flea?

You are full of it. I am someone who also went to a lot of protests and worked to organize them not from some weirdo lack of concern for innocent people but from true concern and with an eye to avoiding the police excesses which happened regularly to break up peaceful protests. Was i a professional organizer yes if you call making minimum wage a profession. Was I a volunteer...lol ... anybody out there feel like stuffing envelopes for a few hours after work? lol. We were people of faith, humanists of morality and atheists of concern. We absolutely NEVER tried to get someone else arrested. Contrast you with the Berrigan Brothers who would wait in prayerful non violence for the police to arrive so that they would be arrested and bring the issue of disarmament of nuclear weapons to the public's eye. No one did what you claimed to do. I don't know where you did this but it was not at any of the major demonstrations in Washington or other major cities. You claim you were an organizer which is bullshit! Plain and simple. It took a lot of work week after week for months to organize a major protest. Maybe you did some local stuff but I pity those people if any trusted you. Just from what you've said, I can tell that you were never really an organizer. You've laid out a typical hollywoodized scenario which is more fantasy (albeit an distasteful one) than anything real. If it really happened even once then you were truly cowardly.

It sounds like this 20 cops thing happened once on some campus and became an ever bigger and bigger thing in your mind ever since. Spare us your lack of morals too. The point of protest - of non violent protest - is civil disobedience. Yes the point is to get arrested in many cases. An act of courage - a choice made by brave decent people. What are you babbling about 'comes with the evil eye?" You aren't talking about being arrested for protests. Underground groups ? Real things? Baloney! Just more of your baloney. I have nothing in common with you ... sorry.

You are all screwed up and mixed up... there is no point in conversing with you.

Your right. In the 60's people were not paid anything to organize or protest. There were no stuffing of envelopes for anti-war or civil rights marches. A mimeograph machine at best for stapling to a telephone pole or on a college bulletin board. People tried all kinds tactics and they changed over time. Stuffing envelopes did not happen till the 70's after Kent state and the death of MLK. Or perhaps I was not on your mailing list.

Since the 60 the tactics of both the police wishing to repress the will of the people and the people who protest have changed as we learn what works best or what is less effective. Today many of us are working within the law to write and pass ordinances for local self governance and protection of our rights. In my town we organized a vote for self government and removal of person hood of corporations written in law. Times change. So do tactics.

Regardless of POV organizing is about talking with people that you may not agree with. It is about finding commonalities for working together. If

then you miss the chance to get your issues across and fail to organize. But really everything we do helps and I will not fight with you over it.

Fortunately, more and more people like these see "my back yard" not as pertaining to the 40' x 50' on the other side of their screen door, but to the commons which sustain all life. If your wisdom and spiritual insight allowed you to see the whole world as your backyard, you wouldn't make such a snarky comment, and you would be a better person.

You tried to control chaos by getting police to attack protesters? That's what you said. Wow. I hope you never organize the protests I go to. We would call you a provocateur.

Read it again. Any protest is generally illegal so it is not hard for the police to get involved. I did not say we were getting police to attack people. They do that by nature. We were blocking doors, streets or the entrance to a bank that financed war. The cops did the rest. No different than the Rev. in this story. Call me a provocateur its ok with me. Times were different then and protests are different today. Also note I quickly learned that that behavior while it seemed to work at first but was not good as the police response was so extreme. In the 60's protests were revolutionary today they are considered free speech. Perhaps you might check the history of labor, woman's rights, voting rights or civil rights. No progress was made without violence but today against a police state with military weapons violence does not work. Did not work in the 60's but we did not know that then.

Do not worry I do not organize protests anymore only pass out information and encourage the writing of local law with rights based self government. Hope you do go to protests. Its a learning experience.