Home | About | Donate

Casket of Rep. John Lewis Carried Across Edmund Pettus Bridge 55 Years After Selma's Bloody Sunday

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/07/26/casket-rep-john-lewis-carried-across-edmund-pettus-bridge-55-years-after-selmas

6 Likes

On March 7, 1965, John Lewis nearly died marching for voting rights on Edmund Pettus Bridge in Selma

Today he crosses bridge one last time as American hero

Meanwhile, Mitch McConnell has been blocking vote to restore Voting Rights Act for 233 days

What we can expect from the unrepentant Confederate. Time we re-named that bridge. How about Selma’s Bloody Bridge?

[H]is remains would cross the bridge again, this time lined with roses

Roses bloomed on his heavy cross. Rest in peace, John.

2 Likes

This brought tears to my eyes, eyes that were born into a place and time where drinking fountains and oh so many other things were segregated. Thanks to the courage and leadership of John Lewis and so many other heroes, Progress has been made, but it has been slow and incomplete.

7 Likes

Another bright light dimmed by Democratic Leadership action against the People in service to Wealth.

5 Likes

Yes too slow! But what a juxtaposition; The bridge was named after Edmund Pettus, a GRAND WIZARD OF THE KKK and John Lewis is being heralded as a hero on this bridge! That contrast says, even though not enough… some progress has been made.

5 Likes

You beat me to it.
If true progress had been made since 1965, Edmund Pettus name would not be on that bridge.

5 Likes

My entire Cleveland, Ohio family was, and is probably 75 years later, STILL RACIST! Until just recently, I was declaring “not racist anymore”. BUT IS NOT the same as declaring: “I am ANTI-RACIST!” THANK YOU! And we do not forget, The Honorable John Lewis, George Floyd, Pamela Sue Rush and thousands of Americans who rose to the occasion, unflinchingly. For Love. For Respect. For Family. For Honor. For FUN & MUSIC. We LOVE YOU JOHN!

4 Likes

Yes, what an insult! I would like to see it renamed to the: JOHN LEWIS BRIDGE.

5 Likes

John Lewis deserves great respect for a lifetime of service, and I accord him that - many have walked that path only to be used - to be bridled and reined-in, to tolerating the charade of fighting for a cause, rather than demand fighting without constraint for that cause - many have been used so in life and some in death as well; used to burnish the fraud of a political party that has not lived-up to what many have thought they stood-for; were promised actions and reforms that never came to be.
Even with “leaders” who should have known better, champions and reformers were deceived and betrayed by the mechanisms of party that did not serve the same interests, but the opposite, and many who worked their lives for real change came away with little…

I have seen local candidates who had a firm grasp of real progressive change slowly crushed under the wheels of a complicit DP and its stooges that crushed those bright lights that tried to fight against injustice, racism, bigotry, and economic slavery, predatory health-care insurance, but were slowed and derailed - they were held in-check by a party that used them and their activism to serve the PTB. My opinion you understand…

The Rev Dr martin Luther King Jr did not allow his words or great fight to succumb to the craven complicity, timidity, or censorship of the DP although he was betrayed by it - a party that crosses the line between truth and deceit, between hope and betrayal - that allows the mirage of struggle, but not the reality or vigor requisite to win.

I remind us again of the words of Malcolm X: “You don’t stick a knife in a man’s back 9 inches, then pull it out 6 inches and say you’re making progress… Progress is made when the original would is healed”!

6 Likes

You guys are right on the mark - that Bridge should, as of this year, forever be renamed the John Lewis Bridge to racial equality and justice!

4 Likes

“Rest In Peace John. If You See My Mother, Father, Or Brother, Tell Them I Love Them.”

2 Likes

And i agree with your opinion. And your quote from MalcolmX is something most people will never understand. (And possibly never achieved.)

1 Like

My family just got smaller. Mom April 29, 2020 Dad Thanksgiving Day 2003 Brother August 1st 1980

Heroes like John Lewis will live on in our hearts.

3 Likes

My only Brother October 28, 1990, my Dad January 2, 1996, and Mom November 30, 2003, just days after your Pop.

2 Likes

Sounds like renaming it in honor of John Lewis is underway.

*"As the Post’s reporting …explained Sunday:

There are two petitions now …As of Saturday, about 715,000 people had signed them, including Selma director Ava DuVernay, Kerry Washington, Paul McCartney, Dan Rather and Pettus’ great-great-granddaughter, Caroline Randall Williams, who is black.

DuVernay tweeted “Edmund Pettus Bridge should be the John Lewis Bridge. Named for a hero. Not a murderer. Join this call. It’s past due.” The Rev. Jesse Jackson has also voiced support for the renaming.

3 Likes

A bit emotional today as we accepted an offer for the old home place.
Mom was there since 1955. A typical mid-western family. Middle income, three kids and a dog.

2 Likes

Hi Shantiananda:
WHY is the bridge stiII named after a KKK person?. Why isn’t it the John Lewis Bridge?

Oh is there someone , somewhere in Kentucky who could somehow erase Mitch’s name off the voting lists? That would be a fitting tribute to that horribIe Mitch person. And John Roberts—OMG—you are a faiI for so many in this nation.
At Ieast ScaIia is dead—aIthough he did so much damage too. : (

1 Like

Hi gandoff:

I’m sorry gandoIf------my mom died too soon and too young ---- missed moms are the worId’s tragedy. : (

2 Likes

Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children.
~William Makepeace Thackeray~

3 Likes

I never would have guessed life would have taken all these twists and turns.

Life beats you down sometimes. Sometimes really badly.

Best thing I’ve found is to celebrate the lives of those we lose. It has taken me many decades of mourning and grieving to come to this conclusion.

A prayer for you G.

3 Likes