Home | About | Donate

Caught Between 'Grexit' and 'Hell No' — Greece Submits Austerity's Knife

Caught Between 'Grexit' and 'Hell No' — Greece Submits Austerity's Knife

Jon Queally, staff writer

After submitting a proposal for consideration by foreign creditors overnight, the Greek government of Alexis Tsipras on Friday presented the plan to a full meeting of Parliament, in hopes of securing backing for a plan that would keep Greece in the eurozone by exchanging long-term debt relief and further financial assistance for a new set of of harsh austerity programs and conditions.

This is complete horseshit! Either the vote against austerity meant something or it was just an formal exercise to allow the Greeks to let off steam with the Greek government selling out their people after they voted against it.

It's time that Greece left the Euro for the good of the working class, poor and elderly. They need to follow Argentina's example as Dr. Mark Weisbrot explains here.

http://www.cepr.net/publications/reports/the-argentine-success-story-and-its-implications

Iceland, having never been fully subjugated by the vampire squid is coming back. Greece was and is in the belly of the beast. Nostradamus is stumped on this situation; only time will tell.

Just another day in WWIII. The Greek referendum results, as expected, split along class lines, with the nation's poor voting overwhelmingly against the austerity package, and rich people voting "Yes." After having fired Varoufakis for refusing to be part of the capitulation, Tsipras is now grovelling for any hint of 'debt relief' being even mentioned by the Germans and their northern European lapdogs.

Will Alexis Tsipras hold on to power after this betrayal of the poor? Who knows. Why would he do it? Perhaps he had a visit from a CIA type who explained to him that his life expectancy and that of his family was very short unless he capitulated.

Submitting to the wealthy to feed their greed must be stopped. Greek should be talking to BRIC nations and then giver Europe the finger. Then dispose of the assets of those that sold them out to cover some of their debt.

Well,

What I read was that the financial wheels come off the Greek Wagon Friday. That's when all the ATM's run out of 50 euro notes. Greeks are starving and suffering without their medications. In the US, we'd just fire up the old printing press and make our offspring pay for our ruinous military expenditures of today. But Greece can't do that since they are held hostage by central banksters in Germany.

Our Central Bank: The Federal Reserve, is debasing our currency so bad, that we now have half the international buying power we had in 1998. Their argument was to export inflation to other world countries, sorta like Germany is doing to Greece? I think it's roughly the same scam...

But now with the BRINCS bank and China and Russia not accepting greenbacks, not sure how much longer the USD house of cards can stand up....

I hear war drums growing louder. Wars are always extensions of Banking or Trade disputes....

Great article, thanks

Apparently he did have a visit from Victoria ("Fuck the EUA") Neuland.

oops. "Fuck the EU", famously spoken in Ukraine.

No doubt they are talking with the BRICS. Russia in particular must be very concerned about the west's squeezing of Greece because the US is involved in it to prevent the plans for the new pipeline from coming to fruition.

I still question the need for the referendum vote if this was the course they were going to take?
To me the people of Greece who voted “NO” were saying, “live free or die”, to them it as to feel like a betrayal.

Nuland's Nemesis: Will Greece Be Destroyed to Save Her From Russia, Like Ukraine? | naked capitalism
http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2015/07/nulands-nemesis-will-greece-be-destroyed-to-save-her-from-russia-like-ukraine.html

New link Posted today 7/11

Why Greece's Debt is Illegal | Michael Hudson
http://michael-hudson.com/2015/07/why-greeces-debt-is-illegal/

Greek Tragedy as Kabuki Theatre.

“Civil disobedience is not our problem. Our problem is civil obedience. Our problem is that people all over the world have obeyed the dictates of leaders…and millions have been killed because of this obedience…Our problem is that people are obedient all over the world in the face of poverty and starvation and stupidity, and war, and cruelty. Our problem is that people are obedient while the jails are full of petty thieves… (and) the grand thieves are running the country. That’s our problem.”

-- Howard Zinn

Hi, i read that she came slithering into Athens a little while back to explain things to Tsipras i suspect. Maybe that's why he looks like this so often now:

Hi Hoodeet, just read this interesting and curious bit: "And, whereas the creditors had demanded a 400-million-euro reduction in military spending, Athens is offering to cut 100 million this year and 200 million in 2016." at
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-07-10/greece-submits-reforms-to-creditors-to-stay-in-euro/6611710

Maybe the Greek military is once again flexing it's muscle as well as the CIA/NATO scum.

Isn't that what it always is?

Tighten the belt enough and it crushes the spine.

There goes another beacon of light. fffft.

just another neocon/neoliberal weakling, now. too bad.

Another domino drops, the lure of corporate money is apparently too high for almost all the "leaders" of the world.

My grandchildren will likely never even know that life was freer once, that we could stop the worst from happening for many and for the earth, once. Freedom and democracy are leaving, they are in my tears.