Home | About | Donate

Caution: Not All Attacks on Trump Are Created Equal

Caution: Not All Attacks on Trump Are Created Equal

Norman Solomon

Thirty-five Democrats in the House have sent a letter to Attorney General Loretta Lynch urging her to appoint an independent Special Counsel because Donald Trump “has repeatedly engaged in actions constituting unauthorized foreign policy in violation of the Logan Act.”

The attacks on Trump remind me of how angry I felt when Republicans vowed to make Obama a one-term President and to torpedo anything he backed even if it meant hurting the country. Now the shoe is on the other foot and, though I dislike Trump, 60+ million Americans voted for him. Will opposing Trump because we don't like him win their hearts and minds?

More effective would be to promote policies that encourage Trump to put his money where his mouth is. He says he wants a health care system "for everybody" that's "simplified" and "much less expensive and much better" than our current system. So, why doesn't he support single payer?

Re climate change, we could point to China, which is going into clean energy in a big way because it make sense economically. Coal and natural gas are economic dead ends in addition to frying the planet.

Re globalization, why doesn't he support allowing Americans to buy drugs from Canada and elsewhere if they're cheaper? And how about giving tech jobs to Americans rather than issuing those H1-B visas that allow tech companies to import cheap labor they can exploit?

Re US troops in Europe and elsewhere, I'm a Trumpista: Bring the troops home! And stop fighting wars half way around the world (or anywhere else, for that matter)! [We do need to educate our dear incoming President that with nuclear war there is no Planet B.]

I expect that many who voted for Trump did so because of fears for their future. We should show we share their concerns but that we have concrete proposals that will work. Even if Trump proves to be an unreasonable and unresponsive fat-head, let's build a constituency to put in a genuine progressive into the White House.

"According to the Times:

Less than three days before President [Barack] Obama turns the keys to the White House, and the nuclear codes, over to President-elect Donald J. Trump, Mr. Trump's transition staff has barely engaged with the National Security Council below the most senior levels. His designated national security adviser, Lt. Gen. Michael T. Flynn, has met four times with his Obama counterpart, Susan E. Rice, most recently on Tuesday afternoon.

But the chronic upheaval in Mr. Trump's transition, a delay in appointing senior National Security Council staff members, and a dearth of people with security clearances have deprived the Trump team of weeks of prep work on some of the most complex national security issues facing the country."