Home | About | Donate

Ceasefire in Yemen Faces Collapse as U.S. Continues Weapons Sales to Saudi Arabia, Fueling Civil War

Ceasefire in Yemen Faces Collapse as U.S. Continues Weapons Sales to Saudi Arabia, Fueling Civil War

Democracy Now!

United Nations-brokered peace talks in Yemen’s nine-month-old civil war are faltering, amid disputes between rival factions over the release of prisoners. Meanwhile, local officials have reported intensifying clashes and renewed airstrikes despite an ongoing ceasefire. Over the weekend, U.S.-backed, Saudi-led airstrikes killed 19 Yemeni civilians in their homes and at a market.

I am filled with sadness for the innocent victims and contempt for the depraved perpetrators, funders, and enablers.
I am reminded of Joseph Welch's words in response to Joe McCarthy's contemptible actions in 1954......

"Have you no sense of decency, sir? At long last, have you left no sense of decency?"

This emotional plea for sanity and justice and compassion no doubt fell on deaf ears then, as it clearly falls on deaf ears today, from the White House to the Congress there is no sense of decency. Our "leaders" have lost near every shred of humanity........

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

The Empire Rules.... The Empire Now has Two Tools that it can use to Displace Humanity. It has Global Military Power (& Soon to be extended to our Solar System). And now they have a new tool, it is called Climate Change....They can use Climate Change to displace people from places of interest...Yemen for example. As some Politicians say, never waste a good Crisis..why waste the Climate change on change for the good, when one can use Climate change to achieve one's goals. Go HRC,, GO Trump....

Peace or $. How many investors even know or care that their profits are really blood money?

Weapon sales! What is needed is peace sales!

I know it is not realistic but can you imagine if the peace budget was the same as the war budget? But unfortunately nothing but a pipe dream. And that dream goes back to Biblical times with the quote: beating swords into ploughshares.

Peace is possible if we eliminate the cabal in Washington and Wall Street that runs the Federal Government. "War is a Racket" quote from retired Marine Corps General, Smedley Butler in the 1920s.

If one picks up a map and one puts a pin or a mark or whatever on the countries involved in imperial attacks and in transport of hydrocarbons, they are almost identical,

I do not suppose that that is new news around here. Still, it might give us a leg up on a prognosis in a place like Yemen.

I don't have a program with names and numbers, but I think we should understand that Western rulers-owners and Sauds and some uber-class of Israelis are in cahoots (and not because the latter are Jewish, in whatever sense they are or are not). What this means is that there will be no more cease fire in Yemen than there has been in Palestine or Gaza. The Group--whoever that includes--wishes to control the exit via the Red Sea as well as the strait of Suez.

I hate to say it, but we have to assume that malice and ill will and the worst of all things human will find expression in the area, over and over, until the West moves on, even if that only happens because all the oil or gas or coal is burnt or spilt.

What is really sad is Smedley Butler said that almost 100 years ago and nothing has changed and if anything; it has only gotten worse because the Amerikan Empire has expanded to most of the worlds countries!