Home | About | Donate

Celebrate Medicare’s 50th Birthday By Expanding It To All

Celebrate Medicare’s 50th Birthday By Expanding It To All

Garrett Adams

The nation has a lot to celebrate when Medicare turns 50 on July 30.

Medicare has brought care and dignity to millions of seniors, relieving their suffering and extending their lives.

Medicare:
Protect It;
Improve It;
Expand It.
Before President Lyndon Johnson signed Medicare into law in Independence, Missouri, in 1965, only about half of those over 65 had health insurance. In the 50 years since then, life expectancy has risen by more than nine years to a little over 79 years.

Cubacare (w/all genuine medical advances included) for all.

Expand Medicare to all? That ship has sailed. It could have been done 6 1/2 years ago, instead we got a Republican monster bill that makes the insurance companies very happy. Now it is a bit late to talk about expanding Medicare for all with a majority led congress. The insurance companies are not going to let that happen without a bloody fight.

Just as Obama's ACA is a massive corporate welfare program for drug and insurance companies, his TPP, TTIP and TISA will give those industries leverage to dismantle signatory nations' medical programs, reducing them to ACA quality or worse.

There is nothing "Affordable" about ACA unless one is employed with a decent salary or their employer feels like being generous.
I say Single Payer for all! Do I think that will happen before I bite the big one? I have my doubts.
I am getting into the clinics in my town that work on a sliding scale to try to get a concrete diagnosis. I hope that I have jumped through enough hoops to get all my credentials in order! Maybe I will relate my experience in a future post. Right now it's hard getting proper care because I live in the sticks. I would hope the physicians at the public health clinics will be a notch above the Doctor Jimbo Billy Bob I've been seeing at the other place that is draining my family's savings like water through a sieve. I won't hold my breath. Just that Doctor Jimbo BB says that if my new meds don't work I could croak any day now. So if Saturnine "goes dark" you will know why.

Shucks - the insurance industry has always opposed Medicare, or infested it parasitically with Medicare Advantage plans - of course there is/will be a fight, they lost in '65, won in '10, but the outcome depended on who was in office - and THAT is up to us ....

That it would take 10 years to "fully" implement the ACA as opposed to 10 months for Medicare is no accident - the former is fatally flawed, but as long as it is not in full force it's defenders can say "we have to wait to see, give it a chance ...."

Both Sanders and Kucinich caved to the Admin on the ACA when they had preciously been "champions" of SP - when push came to shove, it was party over principle - rhetoric is great, introducing bills they know will go nowhere may placate their "base", but at the end of the day, voting is what counts and they both voted for a %@#& bill ....

If we want to PIE Medicare, we have to put those in office who will not sell it out - and that leaves out D/Rs - you had your chance, Bernie, to prove your bona fides on this one and you blew it ....

When will we stop settling for less than we deserve and can get - we got Medicare, we can get it improved and expanded - but not with duopoly reps ....

Thanx! - I was a Kucinich fan, worked to get him on the ballot, etc.,etc, still under the illusion that the DP could be "reformed", but his 180 on the ACA opened my eyes - as long as we abandon principle for party, or support those who do, we will continue to spiral down - the last 20 years has clearly demonstrated that over and over - i don't understand why folks don't get it ...

i was also disappointed in Kucinich and Sanders.

But i think that if one of them was the President, ACA, or at least Public Option or Medicare for all, would have been the plan, not the ACA, so i still have hope in that area. I think Bernie worked pretty hard for a more equitable Vermont system, but not sure exactly what went on.

This generation was pretty clear about its rejection of the Great Society, as Bill Clinton ended basic poverty relief. "Medicare for All" would, under current circumstances, be impractical unless we ensured a two-tiered system that excludes the non-payers, those who are too poor to owe taxes. The reason this matters: We decided that our very poor are undeserving of the basic human rights (per the UDHR) of food and shelter. For most, this takes a very heavy toll on one's health. We do currently have our emergency room plan for the poor -- "Patch them up and move them out." They return to the same conditions (usually, the streets) that have been destroying their health.

Maybe I can get back to health with help from the local health clinic that operates on a sliding scale - if I can just get in! I was turned away because they're filled up and lined up even when you get there early! It's not as easy getting in as the other walk-in clinic, where I've seen a doctor who more resembles a paunchy high school football coach. (Guess he's not a Mercedes-class doctor whining for another bonus.) Trying to get the tests I need at a price I can afford! Might as well put up one of my sick kidneys as collateral in a poker game and see who comes out snookered.
I live in a town where many doctors don't know their own @$$holes from a hole in the ground. And Doctor Billy Bob tells me I might be close to giving up the ghost if they don't get the prescription right.
Can't I just go somewhere where somebody KNOWS something, give me a damn diagnosis and go from there? And not have to "sell the farm" before I end up buying it?

Yada, Yada, Yada. Single-payer is a movement. Join at Healthcare-NOW!

I think he was pressured and threatened beyond resistance, and even though he caved, on about the only issue his vote might have actually made a difference (at least in press coverage—maybe) he was targeted by bipartisan gerrymandering in the next election and voted out of his or Kaptur's new district.

The corporate duopoly is extremely intolerant of having progressive frames expressed publicly.

The ACA was written by Congress, not the president. It is nonsense to blame Obama for the fact there is no public option in the ACA. Senators Ben Nelson (D, NE); Joe Lieberman (I, CT) and Mary Landrieu (D, LA) announced that they would not vote for cloture if the bill contained a public option. Without a vote for cloture, bills are filibustered to death in the Senate. To get a bill passed, Harry Reid had no choice but to bring a bill to the floor without a public option.

Nobody should be surprised that the ACA has no public option. Medicare Part D (prescription drug coverage) is just like the ACA. When you sign up for Medicare if you want prescription drug coverage, you must buy it from a private insurance company.

Please get your facts straight. Congress legislates, not the president. It is not the administration that is responsible for the fact we don't have a public option in the ACA. 3 Senators (Nelson, D-NE; Lieberman, I-CT; and Landrieu, D-LA) announced they would not vote for cloture if the bill contained a public option. Without a vote for cloture, bills are filibustered to death. Harry Reid had no choice but to bring a bill to the floor without a public option.

Your zeal to blame everything on the president clouds your judgment.

Are you aware that Medicare Part D (prescription drug coverage) is just like the ACA? When you sign up for Medicare, if you want prescription drug coverage, you must buy it from a private insurance company.

They had a chance to take a stand against the deliberate torpedoing of SP by the guy/party who made it clear SP was "off the table" - they failed to do so - and supported a plan that strengthens the hold of the insurance thieves on healthcare provision - I am sure they had their "reasons", but to my way of thinking they weren't legit - As I understand it, even the money that Bernie supposedly got for community health clinics in return for his vote hasn't really materialized, but am not sure about that .... There are times for compromise, but this, IMO, was not one of them ...

A public option was never on the table (where did you get this idea?). 3 Senators (Nelson, D-NE; Lieberman, I-CT; and Landrieu, D-LA) announced they would not vote for cloture if the bill contained a public option. Without a vote for cloture, bills are filibustered to death. Harry Reid had no choice but to bring a bill to the floor that did not have a public option.

Are you aware that Medicare Part D is just like the ACA? If you want prescription drug coverage, you don't get it from Medicare; you buy it from a private insurance company.

You might want to go to the library and read a civics text to find out how laws are made in government.

No, a public option was promised, and was an important topic and was given to us to campaign with as we walked neighborhoods and knocked on doors. But he appointed Max Baucus to head up the committee and had Margaret Flowers, M.D., forcibly removed from the hearings.

Of course, around the same time he was wheeling and dealing with the pharmaceuticals (Tauzin), and naming people like Geithner and Salazar.

That's when us naive, hard-core campaigners knew we had been betrayed and kicked down in the worst sort of way. How do you go back to those people that actually listened to our official campaign promises when you realize you LIED for the rat?

made some of us never want to campaign for anyone again. luckily, Occupy came around and gave some of us a way out of the looming depression.

i feel like X-Files Mulder--i want to believe. so, i support bernie, for now. But i likely won't give it my heart and soul this time.

O made it clear that SP was never an option he was going to pursue - even before he got the nomination he took it "off the table" .... he never presented it, or brought it up, let alone fight for it ...

i think you are the one who is confused - a "public option" is not SP ...

I do believe he himself said he did it for his party/Pres ...

The way the districts were re-drawn, so i understand, the new district they both had to compete in included more of her former district than his - this was no accident ... So he caved and got screwed anyway ... great party to be loyal to, doncha think ....