Home | About | Donate

Censoring Our War Crimes

Censoring Our War Crimes

Facebook has backed down after deleting the iconic photo of a naked burned Vietnamese girl fleeing a napalm attack in the name of "maintaining a safe and respectful experience for our global community." The shift came amidst charges the social network was abusing its power, attacking "a mainstay of our democratic society," and proving it needs to learn better editorial judgment if it can't understand the obscenity of the photo lies not in its nudity.

Thank you, CD, for deciding to post this photo.

The obscenity is indeed the violence that caused these unfortunate innocents to run for their lives.

The real nakedness is the naked force that was used against them.

ALL I COULD THINK WAS - THAT LITTLE LADY COULD BE ME OR MY LITTLE GIRL - HOW TERRIBLE - WE NEED TO SEE THIS IMAGE IN OUR FACES FOR ALL TIME, JUST IN THE HOPE IT PRODS US TO NEVER, EVER DO SOMETHING LIKE THIS TO OTHERS - human history is too full of horror. I see you little lady, thank-you !

This one changed it for us all
Like the Shot to the Head assasination of the hand cuffed Viet Cong

Get it right Zucker. You don't filter for us.
Keep it Real or it's propaganda

Why would Zuckerberg need to censor images that violate:

"maintaining a safe and respectful experience for our global community."

Because Advertising.

Please no offensive, ugly, scary, controversial material, Facebookers. While Zuckerberg and company are algorithmically censoring what you see, they are algorithmically analyzing your preferences, profile, purchases, and internet wanderings all the better to treat you-a human being-as what you really are: a source of ad revenue for them and the companies they'll sell your information to. Zuckerberg and the the neoliberals needs happy people to spend in their economy, not outraged or worried people refusing to go into hock for corporate interests.

On a recent episode of the Humanist Report on Youtube (owned by Google), Mike Figueredo talks about how he recently found out some of his vlogs are deemed "not advertiser friendly." I'm just learning about this stuff, but apparently people who upload content to their Youtube Channel can sign up for advertising revenue, which in some cases activists rely on in order to pay for equipment and afford the time to do the research for their programs.

The relevant part starts at 27:52

Turns out a lot of political stuff is not advertiser friendly, according to Youtube, and advertisers just will not advertise on those sites. Seems like a way to shut down content that doesn't fit in with the politics of Google or with Google's incessant compulsion for profits.
Any political vlog carried on Youtube is at risk, not just the Humanist Report.

This sanitization of reality by amoral and often immoral corporate interests is just beginning. Unless we reconstitute the public realm and political rights in the media and all other former spaces of public appearance--we are doomed. The technologies that modern society uses to communicate need to be open and free for expression regardless of the interests of the corporate oligarchy.

Please, no truth to wake up the sleepwalking customers.

The oligarchs have mastered the absolute control of media and social opinion. The frank truth is, is that the oligarchs have become better at their control than protesters have had at resisting it.

Indeed. But this isn't new. Youtube has been doing this for the past year but only recently have told people about this censorship. There are ways to get around it though. Apparently it is mostly tied to the tags someone puts on a video. So if someone doesn't have those tags that would catch the attention of advertisers they could potentially protect their own revenue, however this also would mean that their videos would be harder to search for. In either case it is a lose-lose.

"maintaining a safe and respectful experience for our global community."

LMFAO!
It is amazing what some will do for profit...
Even more amazing what followers will do in hopes of being noticed.
I wonder which category Facebook falls into.

http://www.infowars.com/cover-up-surrounding-pentagon-funding-of-facebooks-psychological-experiment/

http://www.thenewamerican.com/tech/computers/item/18613-did-pentagon-help-fund-facebook-s-mood-manipulating-experiment

Draw your own conclusions.

So was the picture pulled down because someone thought the naked girl would offend , or is this a let us not show the people what happens in war type thing?