Home | About | Donate

Census Data 'Starkly Illustrates' the Time for Single Payer Is Now

Census Data 'Starkly Illustrates' the Time for Single Payer Is Now

Nadia Prupis, staff writer

The latest U.S. Census Bureau data clearly illustrates that the need for a single-payer, Medicare-for-all health program has never been more urgent, the advocacy group Physicians for a National Health Program (PNHP) said Tuesday.

The census found that 29 million people went uninsured last year, including 3.7 million children, and that deductibles and other out-of-pocket costs have continued to rise well after the Affordable Care Act (ACA) went into law in 2010.

Sorry, but our system is such that we will not have it nationally until we have it in a state or two. The states have been called the laboratories of democracy. It needs to be shown that it is politically feasible and that it saves money and it will.

There is still one presidential candidate who supports single-payer health care: Harvard-trained medical doctor, Jill Stein.

Sign the petition to get her in the "debates":
http://www.jill2016.com/openthedebatespetition

edit: I am editing this post in order to unhide it after it was flagged. I dispute that it was off-topic, and would like to point out it received 13 likes and the link 12 clicks while it was hidden the first time. If it is flagged a second time, it will await a moderator's attention with my other twice-flagged posts.

"Studies show that lack of insurance is linked to a higher mortality rate. Being uninsured is lethal, and currently leads to tens of thousands of deaths annually,"
* How often have you heard or read statements by the Oligarchy, people like Rockefeller, et al., "that the main problem is we need to get rid of around six billion people. The remainder will be enough to provide a workforce for our needs."
* With tens of thousands dying annually from no health care, a few more tens of thousands dying of exposure and hunger, millions being slain in countries around the world, or turned into homeless, starving refugees, it would seem that the Oligarchy is meeting its goals. Now, we have the new sock puppets talking about a nuclear war.
* In my opinion, it is way past time for Regime Change, but perhaps it could still be accomplished if we would work toward a common goal.
* If all of those who have been cheated of their votes by the criminality of the Oligarchy this year, and those who backed Sanders until he caved, would just vote for Jill Stein and the Green Party, we could do it! Some polls have shown that Jill would receive as many, if not more votes than either of the current sock puppets, if they were allowed to vote their conscience instead of being forced into the "lesser of two evils" we've been forced into for quite a lot of election cycles. By now, We the People should certainly know that "the lesser of two evils" is still evil.
* Vote Jill Stein, Green, 2016! Then, let's all work with her to take our nation back and clean it up!
* Jill Stein, Green, 2016
;-})

I have been informed my message above was flagged as "off-topic". I dispute that it is off-topic, and I am unable to edit the comment to begin the dispute process, because there is a 60 minute embargo.

I am however very much enjoying that I've managed to annoy a few little authoritarians (or one with multiple accounts) who have no response to the substance of my post.

Must be a community of trolls that flagged your comment!! Right on subject.

Check out Colorado Care Ballot Initiative to provide a universal care system. The usual suspects are pouring in millions of $$$$$$$ to stop it in the general election. Colorado Care needs money to counter the BS. Note the neoliberal governor of Colorado is opposed to it. Must be a treat to his political future in the next national admin.

I certainly don't think your comment was off target. You are dead on! She is the only one backing single-payer, and other programs that could turn this country around, and provide health care for all.
* I signed the petition and gave you a heart. I've noticed that a lot of people are waking up to the corrupt MSM false mantra of "2%, 2%, 2%."
* If the people that have been robbed of their votes, disenfranchised, this year by the corrupt Oligarchy's Duopoly, and the people who followed Sanders until he caved would vote for Jill, she might well make it. If not, we would have a powerful enough third party that we might finally see the end of the blue and red sock puppets, and maybe even a sharply curbed Oligarchy.
* Jill Stein, Green, 2016!
;-})

The time for single payer was 1950! How many have died since then from lack of care?

There is a very simply solution to this problem.....Medicare for all.

Insomuch as the current politicians in Washington, both Republican and Democrat, refuse to enact this simple fix they should all be voted out of office in November.

Vote every incumbent out of office and then vote for Jill Stein.

Does anyone have figures/links for how many people ACA really helped and by how much? For example, I believe it also means no one can be denied coverage now for pre-existing conditions, but I would guess the ins co's somehow find a way around it.

Jill Stein is picking up the banner of Medicare for All. This election is a no-brainer. Where is the poll that commondreams just took btw of the 4-way race????

I sure hope not, as I'm one of those otherwise uninsurables, waiting to get on Medicare by way of SSDisability. And my husband, who has been on Medicare for 6 years, is still working to pay Aetna to keep insuring me. Yeah, Aetna.

Another big point is no-copay preventive care, though some vaccines (shingles is one) don't count; they're prescriptions. Yeah again.

A total of about 20 million have gained insurance because of Obamacare (the vast majority of whom are getting subsidies from the federal government).
https://aspe.hhs.gov/sites/default/files/pdf/187551/ACA2010-2016.pdf

The Gallup Poll monitors the percentage of Americans 18-64 who have insurance which went from 17.3% down to about 11% since the main provisions of the law went into affect (note they don't poll about children helped by the law).

Also, there's a rather thorough website that covers all of the data about Obamacare (acasignups.net) with their main charts at http://www.acasignups.net/graphs

All of these sources are in pretty close agreement.

Amongst the people not covered one big group are undocumented immigrants (say 10 million or so) - who would be covered by Medicare for all proposals like the one Bernie put forward in his campaign. There's another big group who could be covered by the law but aren't because they live in states where the Governor refused to agree to expand Medicaid in their state (about 3 million people).

ColoradoCare is a great proposal but the monied opposition has had an affect and recent polls don't look good for it at all. A real shame.

As an oft referenced community troll, i neither flagged it nor find any reason to do so. The choices of what to remove do seem odd of late. I expect some commenters are going to seize every opportunity to take off in pro Stein and anti Hillary directions. It isn't a reach on Single Payer.

Free the critter!

One candidate does supports single payer; one does not: that's relevant.

Many said the ACA would lead to a big fight between insurance and the public sectors ability to pay that would bring about single payer.

Lol... thanks. :slight_smile:

Apparently it was Truman who was the first US President to fully support Nationalized Health Insurance. What is the one organization that always gets in the way of progress? The damn AMA! Remove the AMA, and we might get somewhere.