Home | About | Donate

Challenging Biden on Iraq War Vote, Sanders Denounces Bloated Trump Pentagon Budget During Democratic Debate

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/09/13/challenging-biden-iraq-war-vote-sanders-denounces-bloated-trump-pentagon-budget

4 Likes

Cutting the military budget to fund the social programs Americans want, and need, should be the CENTRAL FOCUS of Bernie’s campaign.

It provides THE best answer to the GOP question - “How are you going to pay for that?”

22 Likes

As far as those warmongering dinosaurs are concerned here is one of their “enemies”:

7 Likes

This is why I support Bernie. The media and politicians haven’t discussed the pentagon budget, our largest discretionary expense, in the public arena for decades- maybe never. He needs to repeat this over and over until the mainstream media has no choice but to mention it. Let the overdue public debate on this begin.

19 Likes

On a related note, I am thoroughly disgusted with Jorge Ramos and his perpetuating the lie that Venezuela is a dictatorship and Maduro is a horrible, repressive dictator who runs death squads, when it is the U. S. that has tried to over throw the Chavista government ever since it came to power, and that unlike the U. S., the elections Maduro has won - several, including last year - were internationally monitored and certified fair and free. Most of the problems in that country are the result of sanctions and efforts to overthrow the government by us and their oligarchy. Yes, Maduro has made mistakes and their is corruption there (like here as well), but that does not give us or any other country the right to try and overthrow their government. I am extremely disappointed that Bernie Sanders did not challenge that lie about Maduro and drank the Koolaid on the Venezuela lie.

19 Likes

Historically, empires have been destroyed from within, not from overt external forces. The US has been following that path for decades.

With Trump and the GOP accelerating the undermining of the US from within and enabling enemies to covertly undermine the US, why do we need a military “protecting us” from alleged external and overt threats ?

9 Likes

And we will never know what Cuba under Castro could have become had we not embargoed them, isolated them from the world. No wonder there were problems. As for B’s failure to stand up for Maduro…did you see the OAC ad featured over on Intercept? Equated her with Pol Pot and skulls. Wow. I think Bernie has a lot of fights on his hands…perhaps wading in on the Maduro thing at this time and given distortions in the media, is simply not the thing to do. In some ways, perhaps, we should be glad he did not reach for that republican created tar-baby.

7 Likes

This is what I don’t like about them Brits, keeps us Americans from having a lock on morons.

3 Likes

Thank you.
" Greasing the skids " of Univisions’ Ramos doesn’t take much. Ramos is all grease already, pretty much. A thick, slippery glob of elite Latino and Gringo manufactured lubrication. The Establishment made him out of oil and, it shows.
His monologues on Venezuela are historically wrong, old and extremely tiring. And, that’s the entire depressing point of Ramos’s continued lies. He spins for the PTB and nothing more. NADA!!!

6 Likes

I love Bernie. But I am worried about his very angry outbursts in debate last PM. It makes him fit the ‘crazy old man’ propaganda image thrown around by his many opponents. Biden seemed smiley and assured as he threw out numbers that were outrageous, and I suspect were planned to get under Bernie’s skin. I recently went to Bernie rally in Portland, Maine and he was cheerful, calm, and determined to get his points across. I suspect he is under a lot of pressure from the Democratic Party. He certainly has a right to be upset, unfortunately perception can be tricky. Did anyone here note this or am I way off?

3 Likes

Our dept of war wastes more of our hard earned dollars than we can count.
40 prisoners have 1,800 army soldiers ensuring their captivity in Guantamano.
14,000 army soldiers now in afghan, in garrison. Maybe they were held there to attack Iran from the east by John Bolton. No other possible reason. I would buy in to their attacking Pakistan if they refuse to hand over their nukes.

2 Likes

Agree, but it also puts him in the best position to get JFK’d

2 Likes

Hi. I think the military (NorthCon) and militarized police and detention camps may be there to protect ‘from the enemy within’. It is outrageous that the USA spends so much time and money on death and destruction. But I think the writing is on the wall.

6 Likes

Just another example of why Bernie is the only choice

Bernie 2020

5 Likes

The media wants and prefers a dog and pony show, smiling faces all around. My fear is that the American electorate will, as usual, vote for fluff over substance.

6 Likes

We’ve tried bland and faux niceness. That doesn’t work.

5 Likes

And tax the fat rats back to 1980s brackets.

4 Likes

Well, ya know, we always have our priorities straight, like when we ban vaping after a half-dozen deaths while at the same time selling weapons of war to the citizenry and wringing our hands over mass shootings.

8 Likes

I just pray that he’s not JKFd and if he is the progressives have alternate plans.

3 Likes

Well said there good fellow

1 Like