Home | About | Donate

Channeling MLK's 'Beloved Community,' Vigils Call for Robin Hood Tax

Channeling MLK's 'Beloved Community,' Vigils Call for Robin Hood Tax

Lauren McCauley, staff writer

A broad coalition that includes registered nurses, organized labor, AIDS activists, college students, and clergy members on Wednesday staged vigils outside of Congressional offices across the country calling on lawmakers to pass a 'Robin Hood Tax' in order to reverse the country's "crippling inequality."

Well first off, i think the tax on derivatives should be higher than the other two - it's the cascade of derivatives of derivatives ad nauseum that created a lot of this mess - otherwise the financial incentives will be to just keep piggybacking more derivatives off each basic stock - "creative banking" will find a way ....

But also, unless you earmark what this money is used for and put it into a dedicated fund, ala SS, e.g. - that Robin Hood Money will just wind up back in Prince John's pocket ...

Eh. MLK's actual message has been "reformed" by much of the media marketed to libs since the Clinton administration. No legitimate economic discussion today can evade the fact that what the rich are now doing to the middle class, is simply what the middle class already did to the poor. Liberal media, being focused on middle class consumers and campaign donors, can't do this.Middle classers want to narrow the gap between themselves and the rich, while maintaining the canyon between the poor and middle class. This ensures that change can't happen. Note that MLK had things to say about middle class elitism -- the very thing that continues to be promoted by Democrats and much of the lib media -- and about our poverty crisis. The problem is that if we dared to take a clear-eyed look at today's poverty crisis, we would be forced to recognize how gravely our current (since Reagan) socioeconomic agenda has failed the US. This would force us to legitimately reconsider our empowerment of corporations (since the 1980s), and much work goes into preventing that.

Just focusing, on the present, the inequality, is way out of line. MLK's message is clear, but being black, and a protester, the white population is so against any change, on his behalf. They resist. The elite, want everyone, below them. I doubt they care about the classes below their wealth. The divide is so wide, so many tax privileges, tax havens, so little tax paid, compared to the burden of the middle class. Poor have never paid much tax, as they are poor. So the elite target, the middle class to have the tax and economic burdens. I forget the exact stat, of the few ultra rich's wealth, vs millions of citizens? Just that stat is not acceptable. They do not want the lowly wage workers, to have a living wage! Huge profit corporations, make billions, and some get govt. subsidies? How is that fair? The rich gripe about the poor, but do not look in the mirror, and see the greed. Few would be rich, IF not for the workers, who made them rich. I don't really see the middle class. trying to get rich, but just trying to get by, as they slide toward the poorer citizens. The elite want to take more and more.

Much more cogent analysis of the economy. Folks that somehow decry that the poor will become dependant are just rationalizing the fact that they lack empathy.

Nice comment.

I would quibble with the qualifications in the following sentence, "since Reagan" and "since the 1980's". The practice of capitalism is but a mild alteration of feudalism or slavery. It makes perfect sense from an authoritarian and economic perspective: make the slaves pay for their own food, housing, healthcare, etc. and also profit of selling the slaves those means of survival; while simultaneously exploiting their labor as they work in industries producing those necessities.

My quibble is therefor that the institution of capitalism is inherently inequitable and exploitive, Reagan just feed the beast.

I agree. These are complex issues that keep us at the mercy of the corporate state -- and the corporate state has no mercy. Years of work went into training a generation to find it entirely acceptable to dispose of those who are not of current use to employers/the corporate state, and this "retraining" of the general public went into high gear with the Reagan administration.This is what scares me. Even "progressives" no longer believe that our "surplus population" -- those who aren't of current use to employers/the corporate state -- are deserving of the most basic human rights of food and shelter.