Home | About | Donate

Charleston’s ‘Mother Emanuel Church’ Has Stared Down Racist Violence for 200 Years

Charleston’s ‘Mother Emanuel Church’ Has Stared Down Racist Violence for 200 Years

Dave Zirin

The more you read about Charleston’s Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church, otherwise known as “Mother Emanuel,” the more awe you feel for its historic resilience amidst white-supremacist terror.

As many of my African American friends are observing Juneteenth, I show my solidarity with them and express my condolences to those with loved ones lost in this massacre.

African-American churches have been an integral part of the Civil Rights movement, and many continue to be a center of organizing for the community. One such church, Ebenezer Baptist Church in Atlanta was/is a pillar of the community - and hearing about the leaders who convened there when I was growing up impressed upon me greatly.
This is a time when we need to come together - people of all races - because the situation calls for unity when racial tensions are such that parts of the country are ready to ignite.
It's a shame that here it is, 2015, and there is still so much prejudice, and so much work yet to be done.

I am proud to have been born on Freedom/Emancipation Day! I hope "Mother Emanuel" lives on, grows, and continues to foster the love and light of its parishioners, past and present.

Excellent piece, Mr. Zirin! A thousand Thank-You's.