Home | About | Donate

Charlottesville and the Confederate Legacy

Charlottesville and the Confederate Legacy

Keri Leigh Merritt

As Americans struggle to make sense of the bloodshed resulting from the white supremacist “Unite the Right” march in Charlottesville this past weekend, we must remember the movement’s historical predecessors.

In their vicious quest to “Make America White Again,” this motley conglomeration of different hate groups did more than simply protest the removal of Confederate monuments. Armed for war, these incendiary racists employ several of the same aggressive tactics that the slaveholding leaders of the Confederate rebellion once relied on to achieve secession.

Gee, what would happen if someone erected a statue of William Tecumseh Sherman, right on the green in front of Atlanta city hall?

“The past is never dead. It’s not even past.”-------William Faulkner

“Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”------George Santayana

Wait a sec! Who, exactly, is “struggling” to make sense of this? If you’re struggling to make sense of this, please talk to a mental health professional.

It’s amazing that a Century and a Half after the Civil War, the term “Abolitionist” is still more a Pejorative than a term of Praise.

Much as I admire his musicianship, I never understood any possible value to Charlie Daniels’s assurance that “…the South’s gonna do it again.”

I always much more valued the Allman’s Inclusiveness, and Appreciation, of Inter-Racial Brotherhood.

Keri, you call them Neo-Confederates, and much of the media is straining to use something like that that term instead of Neo-Nazi. But I have lived in these areas. The groups are not merely anti-black. The are anti-Asian, anti-Hispanic, and against religions other than the one of the small circle they are standing in. Neo-Nazi may sound too harsh or be politically incorrect against the nostalgic Confederate reference, but it is more of a fit.

This article provided a perspective I’d never considered before and makes it easier to understand how it is that poor Whites were “convinced” to participate in a war that wouldn’t seem to bring them any benefit whatsoever.

The Civil War was fought to preserve slavery. Where does Neo-Nazism come in ? Did Confederate soldiers march through the streets of the Old South, carrying torches and shouting “Jews will not replace us”?. Do the people who are trying to preserve their history not see how that history is being perverted to encompass hatred for any group not purely Aryan? The states that were a part of the Confederacy have made great strides in evolving beyond their mistaken belief that their African slaves were a different, and lesser, species. Will they let a relative handful of people who hate themselves and, therefore, must hate anyone whose heritage is not exactly the same as theirs, take them back to the 19th century? Will they, once again, drown themselves in hate?