Home | About | Donate

Charter Schools Are Pushing Public Education to the Breaking Point

Charter Schools Are Pushing Public Education to the Breaking Point

Jeff Bryant

When striking Los Angeles teachers won their demand to call for a halt to charter school expansions in California, they set off a domino effect, and now teachers in other large urban districts are making the same demand.

Not having enough success eviscerating public education through Skinnerian training methods, the billionaire class now seeks to further weaponize “education” through privatization. Swell. The perpetual class warfare fought on the battlefield that is the People of the country can not be sustained much longer. If the People do not fight the onslaught of distraction and disenfranchisement they will be further commoditized and degraded. A sentiment oft attributed to Mark Twain is don’t let your schooling get in the way of your education. While we may not be able to be masters of the former, we can be masters of the latter. Taking responsibility for my education at an early age emancipated me from the Pavlovian training that governments and corporations sought to instill in me. I do have to pay for my iconoclasm from time to time, but am happy to do so. As William Wallace’s last cry in Brave Heart went: “FREEDOM!”.

3 Likes

Ironically, the battle cry of ‘freedom’ is precisely what the charter school industrial complex uses to attract parents seeking to offer their kids school choice.

Lost in the shuffle of battle cries is the fact that charter schools don’t perform better:

http://www.data-first.org/questions/how-do-charter-schools-compare-to-regular-public-schools-in-student-performance/

3 Likes

How fucking stupid can you be? Any privatization whether for water systems, roads, S/S, prisons or education has profit BUILT INTO it. Profit adds another cost, a cost that can be somewhat minimal to extravagant and also the quality of whatever it is goes down as the profit goes up.

4 Likes

Charter Schools are really a throwback to the private schools of the 70’s. For years these institutions tried to get politicians to release public tax money to them, usually without success because the dam of Citizens United bribery hadn’t broken yet. Though some private schools still exist, the business model was shuffled, corporatized, and the Charter School model emerges, with the same intent of stealing taxpayer money and putting it into private hands.

4 Likes

I believe the problems in our schools are reflective of the main issue of our time, which is income inequality and the rising pressure on the middle and lower classes. Parents are on the hamster wheel trying to pay for healthcare and housing, and they’re not packing away any savings. Most are living paycheck to paycheck. So even in schools that are not underfunded, the problems are growing. The parents do not have the time to participate in their communities, including their schools, actively, themselves. If they could spend the time with the schools, with their kids, with the teachers, and do what is needed to keep the schools functioning at a high level… The answer is not always to just throw more money at it. We need to give something back to the middle class that is more important: a decent living that affords them the TIME they need to work on their communities. Taking all of their time so they have no choice but to entrust the schools entirely to somebody else is driving the schools into the same privatization spiral as everything else. And as noted in this article, privatization tends to more than offset any gains in efficiency with increases in corruption, cooking the books, bloated bids and everybody gets a cut.

Give the middle class back their decent wage, stop the hamster wheel so they can be involved in their communities. The communities and schools will be stronger, kids will perform better, and we can stop handing the money we earn on that hamster wheel over to corporate interlopers to do things we could just be doing much better ourselves.

3 Likes

Not that long ago there were neighborhood schools - period. Now, we have “school choice.” The billionaire class likes to distract the lemmings from public ed because they cannot invest in it.

Right on! And let’s not forget overpopulation is the foundation for most of our problems.

It is stealing and it is for investors and billionaires like Devious.

Although the investment in their children is perfectly okay.
In and around the 70’s our area had angst among parents that wanted Catholic schools funded with public school funding. As usual, a good fight, but no, keep church and state separate please.

1 Like

Take their money and shove it up their rear ends where the sun doesn’t shine. Leave public schools alone.

Also , haven’t you heard of overpopulation?

The Catholic edict was have children, more Catholics.
Republicans object to abortion. More people, more consumers.

1 Like

Why force religion and overpopulation on people? Makes no sense!

I know people who were raised as Catholics and they DO believe in overpopulation and reproductive rights.

I heard the same, overpopulation, in a temple speech once in Augusta, Georgia from a Hindu priest visiting the US. Dont assimilate! Return to India. Have lots of kids! Vote out, drive out the Muslims in the towns and cities of India!!!
The priest apologized for speaking English but was reaching out to many languages of Hindus. The year? Around 1990.
I think it fell on deaf ears. That temple was very friendly with Indian Muslims and loaned its space out to them once a week.

1 Like

Have lots of kids? Sounds pretty ignorant to tell people who live on a planet with limited resources to have lots of kids.

1 Like

Bold claim about charter success when MA has less charters than many states
RI has more charters and is 40th.