Home | About | Donate

Chelsea Manning Begins Hunger Strike Against Prison Conditions

Chelsea Manning Begins Hunger Strike Against Prison Conditions

- Common Dreams staff

U.S. Army whistleblower Chelsea Manning announced she began a hunger strike in protest of her prison conditions as she serves a 35-year sentence for leaking classified documents.

Manning committed the ultimate crime--alerting the US public to the crimes of their government.

The cruelty that fellow Americans will do for that check every week! Makes ya think, again.

Why doesn't Obama let Chelsea go? Is he afraid of her? What's going on, Obama? Are you a psychopath? LET CHELSEA GO, OBAMA! Sign a pardon or grant clemency or whatever and LET HER GO!!!!!

There are many people who Hillary hates with a passion.
The top two are Chelsea Manning and Edward Snowden.
Julian Assange is in third place.
There appears to be a pattern here.

When will Chlesea ever learn? You don't leak damning classified material to an anonymous media source. You take it home and store it on your private server.

When I was a child, my father would beat me repeatedly for simply not being masculine enough. I was told to stop crying—to "suck it up.”

I'm curious, how does standing up for one's dignity in the face of the harshest of humiliations, after standing up for the sanctity of human life against the full social pressure of the MIC, not fully satisfy even the most ambitious ideals of masculinity?

Transparency is the number one issue in the world today.

See Counterpunch article posted above.

I meet and get to speak, in depth, with many people, in many walks of life on a regular basis and it's astounding how few even know about a myriad of issues and people, like Chelsea Manning, let alone the actual truth of the matters.

As far as I'm concerned, you can add Obama to the list of those who belong in that cell instead of Manning. They are the ones who have violated their oaths to uphold the Constitution.

It is to the point of being critical, in my opinion. The majority of people, especially within the working class, have absolutely no idea what is going on around them ... and in the world. I think there are several reasons for this:

• Many in the working class are so busy working multiple jobs just trying to put food on the table, pay the rent, and make sure their children have clothes and shoes.

• The majority of coverage by mainstream media is completely geared towards the elite ruling class (daily market reports, etc.). The coverage that isn't geared to the elite class (crime, jobs, housing, etc.) is so bad that these working class people simply tune it out to maintain any sense of normalcy for themselves and their family.

• Finally, and the worst reason of all: they have given up hope. They don't see any light at the end of the tunnel. All they can see is working more hours at multiple jobs, continually falling behind because their wages stay the same or even decline while the real cost of living (especially healthy food and healthcare) continues to go through the roof.

As a group, conditions (working, economic and political) must dramatically improve for the working class or the environment for the working class will be as they were in the late 1800s and the early 1900s in less than two decades.

It is very difficult to be knowledgeable or concerned about the issues of the world around you when you have no idea how you're going to pay the rent that is due next week and your child's shoes have holes in them.

I weep for the future of my grandchildren.

She is not running for president with a record of years of lying, she on the other hand told the truth. See where lying gets you. See what truth telling gets you. What is wrong with this picture? It certainly doesn't reflect well on democracy.

Heros of Democracy, all! Without whistle blowers we would never know any of the truths that we now know. When will someone blow the whistle of 9/11?

Hi-tech bullying. I know what she means. It's not what the article states. The media, even this media outlet, can't talk about it. Electronic harassment. When will it be exposed? Come on, CD, open it up.

She cannot be released because she is an example. Because the number of things the government is doing wrong, bad, evil is so huge that its existence would not be possible if even a portion of them were revealed to the public as Chelsea did.

The Obama regime's constant abuse of Chelsea Manning is outrageous. Do something meaningful and vote for Jill Stein:

Maybe whistleblowers would feel safer with Jill Stein as president: