Home | About | Donate

Chelsea Manning: The Conscience of America

Chelsea Manning: The Conscience of America

Nozomi Hayase

April 5th marks the five year anniversary of WikiLeaks publication of the Collateral Murder Video. The footage of a secret US military video depicted an Apache helicopter killing Iraqi civilians, including two Reuters journalists. It provided an uncensored view of modern war for the world to see. The light that shone in the darkness was the conscience of a young woman. Chelsea Manning (formally Bradley Manning) is now serving 35 years behind bars for her great public service.

It can be argued that America started out as a country founded on the avoidance of war. First Presidents Washington, Adams, Jefferson and Madison all fought tooth and nail to keep us out of Europe's mindless, ruinous world wars. The USA broke away from England because King George III wanted the Colonies to pay for the "Seven Years War" (the first true World War) known in North America as "The French and Indian War".

War is always bad for everyone who comes in contact with it. The Father of the US Constitution, James Madison said:

“Of all the enemies to public liberty war is, perhaps, the most to be dreaded, because it comprises and develops the germ of every other. War is the parent of armies; from these proceed debts and taxes; and armies, and debts, and taxes are the known instruments for bringing the many under the domination of the few. In war, too, the discretionary power of the Executive is extended; its influence in dealing out offices, honors, and emoluments is multiplied; and all the means of seducing the minds, are added to those of subduing the force, of the people. The same malignant aspect in republicanism may be traced in the inequality of fortunes, and the opportunities of fraud, growing out of a state of war, and in the degeneracy of manners and of morals engendered by both. No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.” - James Madison, Father of the US Constitution.

Bradley Manning (now Chelsea Manning) is a true American hero. She let us know just what a monster the MICC really is, and gave the rest of us the courage to denounce this uncivilized, immoral military force which is draining the lifeblood out of every single citizen.

TJ
(MICC = Military Industrial Congressional Complex)

Just remember that Hillary Clinton is just fine with this injustice, and also wants to see Ed Snowden and Julian Assange locked away in black holes in the U. S. for the rest of their lives too. All the more reason to NEVER even give tacit support to her and the rest of the sell-out DLC Democrats.

You can judge a society by who it imprisons. When people who expose corruption are imprisoned while the corrupt wander free, the society is corrupt.

"By calling it “seemingly delightful bloodlust”, she noted this to be the most alarming aspect of the video and described how the soldiers “dehumanized the individuals they were engaging, and seemed to not value human life by referring to them as quote ‘dead bastards’ and congratulating each other on the ability to kill in larger numbers.”

This is the product of military TRAINING and it's also increasingly seen in the callous way that U.S. police shoot down unarmed Black youth or toss heavy tear gas canisters at crowds of peaceful protestors. It represents the extreme of Yang or masculine behavior which is why it's more than symbolic (not to mention intriguing) that Bradley transitioned into Chelsea since s/he reflects the more Yin view foremost expressed in mothers: that of protecting their children and by extension, other mothers' children. THAT is how the bridge of empathy expresses. And it is precisely this empathic response that is cut off and conditioned out of men, particularly those taught to identify with any branch of soldiering.

And it is us which allows this to occur many times over. When will men and women in our nation shrug off fear and regain their self respect enough to throw out those who think they can control us? Our government works for us, people. We can trash the whole bunch. Time is long past.

Well as I tend to do, I put more faith in a Countries actions than I do the words of its leadership.

The USA has been involved in ongoing and continuous wars for 214 years out its history and has only been a nation for some 240 years. The Wars against the various native tribes started up within a decade and included war against the Creek, The tribes of the Northwest, The Cherokee, the Seminole and so on.

I contrast this with Switzerland which had its own revolution after helping to throw off Napoleon . This was a few decades after the formation of the United States of America where that countries leaders vowed they would not involve themselves in the wars of other States again.

They had zero wars since that time.

The British Empire has waged war or invaded virtually every other country on this Earth in its History. The United States, born of that Empire and only around since 1786 is in second place and closing.

Private First Class:

Private Manning standing in a court room
Pleading guilty; he shouldn't have to
Truth be told, he should be floating down
parade routes
But - the truth WAS told, and what good
did that do?

If it was you,
You might wish you'd been born a liar
A coward

His conscience barked as he watched
our Apache
Cowboy-kill civilian Iraqis
Their laughter rolled like tanks over bodies
He thought: "What if everyone could see
what I see?"

If it was you,
A coward

9 months in a hole
3 years in a cage
For having a soul
The American way

If it was you,
A coward
And not a hero

Please Note: When Kevin performs this song live, he changes all of the pronouns to the female form due to Bradley Manning becoming Chelsea Manning. These lyrics reflect the song as it is heard on the album, not any live versions that may exist.

I was involved against the Vietnam war. I remember the sneers of those war lovers who saw that poster for the first time (my parents among them.) They thought it was stupid. I thought they were stupid.

There is nothing exceptional about that video. American governments have been mercilessly slaughtering people for 200 years. It's what they do.