Home | About | Donate

Cheyenne River Sioux Chair Offers to Rip Down Mount Rushmore—"Free of Charge... By Myself If I Must"

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/07/01/cheyenne-river-sioux-chair-offers-rip-down-mount-rushmore-free-charge-myself-if-i

4 Likes

MY Native wife and I Fled South Dakota fearing for out lives and freedom, SD is thee most Racist State I have ever lived in and I have live in several southern states. Skip SD save your $$.

4 Likes

As people challenge racist monuments around the nation, this is one more that should go. It is a desecration of native land.

10 Likes

Note to Chairman Harold Frazier:

I have a pick, a sledge and a wrecking bar standing idle in the garage. Happy to help.

9 Likes

From the article:

““The lands on which that mountain is carved and the lands he’s about to visit belong to the Great Sioux nation under a treaty signed in 1851 and the Fort Laramie Treaty of 1868 and I have to tell him he doesn’t have permission from its original sovereign owners to enter the territory at this time,” said Oglala Sioux president Julian Bear Runner”

Maybe President Julian Bear Runner should let Trump visit the sovereign lands of the Oglala Sioux - and maybe the Sioux President should allow the Iranians to visit and execute the arrest warrant that they issued for Trump a few days ago.

14 Likes

Describing the iconic South Dakota mountain carving that depicts the heads of famous U.S presidents as nothing but a monument to “our molesters,” the chairman of the Cheyenne River Sioux Nation Harold Frazier this week said he would willingly tear down Mount Rushmore if given the chance—with or without help—and pay for its destruction personally.
Hey Mr. Frazier, my spouse who is Native, American, just volunteered to help you!

11 Likes

“When I can remove those faces from our land,” said Fraizer, "I believe I would not be alone."

No, you will not be alone. Every color of humanity, all the four corners of your land, Turtle Island, we will be privileged to assist.

10 Likes

Giving people their land back would be a more substantial step than a removal of a statue, but as statues go, Mt. Rushmore has to be the most flagrant. It sure would be nice to see it go. I am curious - are most Native people in favor of just demolishing the faces? I was just wondering if it were an option, would people prefer re-carving the mountain into another image? An image could be a Native American leader, or perhaps a scene, like maybe what the mountain looked like before, or maybe the destroyed Celilo Falls, or an animal of local significance.

2 Likes

That does it: Trump is going to show up at the desecrated Black Hills? I will look around for a US flag to hang upside down on the 4th. #RemoveThe Faces. The so-called Independence Day was fought in great part to preserve the institution of slavery and this will be another reason to protest this day. (Read Gerald Horne on this in his well documented: The Counter Revolution of 1776)

8 Likes

I seriously doubt it as they view the Black Hills as sacred.

3 Likes

I own a screwdriver. (With four attachments.)

2 Likes

Like taking down the Berlin wall. Wouldn’t that be wonderful.

4 Likes

This doesn’t mention the money held in trust that is now 1.2 billion dollars that the Sioux tribes refuse to accept as payment for land that has never been for sale.

8 Likes

The Times They are A Changin’

How long before the Constitution actually does get re-vamped?

1 Like

The Sioux were defeated by reinforcements and repeating rifles like most Native Americans. Our slaughter of defenseless is dropping white phosphorous, daisy-cutters and cluster bombs during the night with invisible planes against nations with no air force, navy, missile systems or aerial defenses for oil. Progress.
Rushmore was a billboard to Native Americans saying we can steal anything we want and we do and kill anybody we want and we do and sometimes only the names of the victims changes. Note: the CIA trained the Taliban to murder Russians so how stupid do we really want to be? Ray Gun nuclear armed Islam (Pakistan) in 1981. Our government is a murdering psychopath.
Fear and loathing on the campaign trail!

11 Likes

Killer Clown would love nothing more than to see his visage among that abomination

And given what they did to the First Nations, and what he has done

He’s got a goddamn good case for it.

2 Likes

Reminds me of the film “zulu”.

“Fear and loathing on the campaign trail!”

Or “fear and loathing in las vegas”?
(Hunter S Thompson)

Incongrously wearing a MAGA cap.

1 Like

Trump is coming rather soon. Wouldn’t it be better to cover the faces while Trump is there, and negotiate with the Sioux about what percentage of the tourist income they should get for leaving it there?

1 Like

If Trump’s face goes there, it should have at least one arrow through it.

3 Likes