Home | About | Donate

'Chilling and Unprecedented': DHS Reauthorization Bill Would Let Trump Send Secret Service to Polling Places

Don’t know their numbers, but they have more gadgets than the FBI. On 9/11 they were the only agency that had computers that would interface with all other fed agencies.

I agree, but I don’t know if it would help. Voting is in “real time”, meaning even if you recorded them doing something, the election would be over before evidence could be admitted in court. That’s one reason voter theft is so successful. The harmed party is always playing catch-up, election over-game over.

Conservative Republicans are one thing but fascist Republicans are another thing. Reagan said the problem is government. Trump may as well say the the problem is democracy. In a democracy the press is not the enemy of the people. That is what a fascist dictator would say about the press.

OMG that it is even in writing in the United States is scary beyond language. One frightening step closer to (Fahrenheit 451)

I am reminded of a Hungarian ballot brought out by a refugee from its Communist regime. It had a slate of candidates and one box at the bottom: “Check here if you disagree with these candidates.” We are only a few steps away from this type of voting. The DHS Reauthorization Bill is one of those steps.

"Who in their right mind would give this vulgar talking yam this kind of power?" quipped Charles P. Pierce at Esquire.

The House passed its version of the legislation on July 20, 2017. It includes a provision that would amend the federal law barring troops at polling sites by adding the text: “This section shall not prevent any officer or agent of the United States Secret Service from providing armed protective services authorized under section 3056 or pursuant to a presidential memorandum at any place where a general or special election is held.”

Capitalism is suicidal –

A system and its followers proving their insanity every day here.

You’re exactly right!.

During the Harold Washington Mayoral Campaign in Chicago (and many others) we organized to have poll watchers in the polling places. A few were arrested, but by-and-large it worked because the hacks were simply shocked that anybody but them would show up and they ended up being puppies when they were challenged for their BS.

And the cops, normally bored by the whole process, were often OK because we actually entertained them with our challenges of this or that regulation. And if you brought them a hot-dog and coke they became effen revolutionaries (in the moment).

This is how actual human beans often behave in these situations.

The larger point is that organizing poll watchers, election judges, etc. is at least as important as organizing voters. Of course it’s gotten much more complicated in the cyber era when computers can bypass human efforts, as comical as they may be.

Here’s the problem Steven: most people are not taught the truth - in terms of political economy - in school. We have to understand the social role of formal education - which is to inculcate and normalize the status quo - and go fro there.

While we all have had formal education experiences which challenge the social purposes of “schools,” we must recognize their prime directive and get much of our education from various kinds of experiential learning.

Lrx, I don’t think it’s because they want a dictatorship. I think it’s because they’re too stoopid to recognize what’s happening right in front of them, worsened by the fact that they’re ignorant about history, i.e., Sieg Heil.

And the award for engendering ignorance and Nazism goes to…(drum roll)…FAUX NEWS

Looks to me like the Trump crime family wants to have its own Gestapo, after all, the Secret Service’s initials are: SS!

I’m thrilled that you posted this because I didn’t know how to on an iPad. The best program I’ve seen in years…informative but so sickening…

Full on.

From a quick Google: “The Secret Service employs approximately 3,200 special agents, 1,300 Uniformed Division officers, and more than 2,000 other technical, professional and administrative support personnel.”

Either they’re going to have one heck of a hiring season or they sure will be spread out. Plus they are supposed to go after counterfitters (original reason for creation in 1865) and protect the prez and various diplomatic missions.
Maybe Dumps will hire 3 million to cover the polling places, calling it a jobs program at the same time they all cast votes for Dumps to counter those “alien votes.”
Wotta guy! Put up a cheers. Jobs! Jobs! Jobs! - - Dumps! Dumps! Dumps!
Maybe he can get Stephanie Clifford to do the pom poms.

Neh… Melania wouldn’t like that. On the other hand, maybe that would be the catalyst she needs to step up to the plate and take down Dump.

“The only way to stop is to vote Republicans out of office.”
That is the point of the article, to be sure.
But pay attention to who you are putting in, don’t forget that part, Lrx.
As I posted before, https://www.sott.net/article/379719-Deep-Blue-State-Dems-fielding-unprecedented-number-of-ex-CIA-candidates

We need every organization on the LEFT to support every other organization
on the left –

Every group supporting a national health care system as the first goal –

Women’s groups, NAACP, Teachers, Nurses, NARAL, Fund for the Feminist
Majority, UCLA, Environmental Groups, Civil Rights groups, Unions/Labor issues,
etal.

Tom –

Can’t forget the role that organized patriarchal religion plays in brainwashing members…
from very early ages.

Strongest tools in the Elite took box are Patriarchy, Christianity, Capitalism – and they’ve
been effective everywhere in controlling minds and moving assets of nations and personal
property to their accounts.

I’ve been telling people for years to study history, especially German history in the 1930s and 40s. People don’t seem to be able to figure out how the NSDAP (Nazis) were able to take over Germany so fast.
*Unfortunately, they no longer have to study the Rise and Fall of the Third Reich to understand. Now they can just look out the window at the Rise of the Fourth Reich. The only major difference is the language and the enormous difference in technical surveillance methods and the ability to destroy the planet in an hour or so. The basic game plan is quite similar to Hitler’s.
*In Germany, most citizens didn’t think Hitler would ever get anywhere, so they didn’t take him too seriously. Then he promised to Make Germany Great Again and, as times were tough, they decided to give him a chance.
*Then, he promoted fear in the people. Fear of Communists, fear of Jews, fear of labor unions, fear of thinkers and Professors.
*I don’t have time to reiterate that history again. Study it yourself, or look out the window, or watch Goebbels’s FauxNews.
*Or, better yet, work hard to take our Constitution back, put it in the Halls of Government, intact and functioning, and have it run by people who don’t cross their fingers and giggle when they take an oath of office, but rather by people who respect that document, and that oath, and take the Bill of Rights as a great part of the governing of this nation.
*Not to rush you, but have you noticed the changes in this nation since last November? They are accelerating at an enormous rate and we may well find ourselves like the “good” Germans did, when their Constitution was taken from them by Hitler’s Enabling Acts, their version of the US’s illegal, unconstitutional and misnamed “Patriot” Act. Dissenters soon found themselves facing the SA and the SS, not to mention the Gestapo.
*It took a World War and five blood-soaked years to end that nonsense and many millions died to achieve that goal.
;-})

Why do people keep on calling it “democracy” when it is actually
a “Republic”?

Evelyn,

I don’t think the idea is to see who people vote for; these armed goons would be outside the polling places, not standing next to the voting machines watching which buttons you push. The thing is that people are intimidated by police and federal law enforcement outside the buildings and won’t go in once they see them. People who are late on their child support, or who have outstanding traffic tickets, or who have been involved in protests, or for a myriad of any other reasons are reluctant to pass through security personnel on their way in. I would feel intimidated by federal agents at a polling station, and I’ve never had any legal infractions and I have my white privilege working for me. (Let’s not kid ourselves here; people of color are only acting sanely when they avoid the cops, given how they have been treated by law enforcement in this country.)