Home | About | Donate

'Chilling': Israeli Court Orders Deportation of Human Rights Watch's Omar Shakir Over Pro-Palestinian Activism

'Chilling': Israeli Court Orders Deportation of Human Rights Watch's Omar Shakir Over Pro-Palestinian Activism

Jake Johnson, staff writer

An Israeli court on Tuesday ordered the deportation of Human Rights Watch's Omar Shakir over his advocacy work against illegal settlements in the occupied West Bank.

"Israeli authorities should focus on ending their serious human rights abuses rather than muzzling groups reporting on them."
—Tom Porteous, Human Rights Watch

I suppose it could have been worse, they could have sent him to “summer camp” where he could learn that “work makes you free.”
(Where have I see that sign before? Oh yeah, above a barbed wire gate, and I think it was in German)

1 Like

But, but, but … they’re the only democracy in the Middle East! Seriously, though, does any of this surprise anyone?

2 Likes

Boycott, Divest, and Sanction the Apartheid Government of Israel.

Provide Sanctuary for its Victims.

8 Likes

“Human Rights Watch investigates and reports on abuses happening in all corners of the world. We are roughly 450 people of 70-plus nationalities who are country experts, lawyers, journalists, and others who work to protect the most at risk, from vulnerable minorities and civilians in wartime, to refugees and children in need. We direct our advocacy towards governments, armed groups and businesses, pushing them to change or enforce their laws, policies and practices. To ensure our independence, we refuse government funding and corporate ties. We partner with organizations large and small across the globe to protect embattled activists and to help hold abusers to account and bring justice to victims”

Trying to find the part where HRW says it’s supposed to actively engage in activism.

This guys is in the same boat with Assange. Once you start actively engaging in activism or helping your sources penetrate computer networks you cease being a journalist or an observer.

I’ve done better. I kicked out four israHell nazis from a California retail store I worked. Refused to help them or take their damn recycled Benjamins’ and told them that I have a right to refuse service to anyone especially ex-IDF soldiers. Boy were they pissed and threatened to call my congress critter as they exited the establishment. Not a word from my congress critter or them since.

1 Like

Hi lamonte7: well that is the charge re : Assange, and it seems that the Virginia court was trying to get Chelsea to say that too------the charge is attempting to penetrate-----but there is no proof… oh wait—that’s what Israel uses too—no proof, just charges. : (

2 Likes

Good. That’s why we have justice system in the US. Someone gets charged, he can defend himself or herself in a court of law. I guess if there’s no evidence Mr. Assange is free to go.

Hi lamonte7: There was no evidence of a crime in Sweden, so the first person let Assange go. Apparently the US wanted hm, so after being let go another person charged him again. He went to the UK and he jumped bail—because the UK spy people and the US spy people would have probably have had to off him on the street—and blame it on Russia… oh wait, this time it would be Venezuela ; )
Then Ecuador gave him a place to be safe, but then creepy Moreno wanted the money and so sold Assange off. Now he is somewhere in the UK—maybe. Both the UK and the US have shown that they do not respect the rule of law----nor does Ecuador---------and too the Kangaroo court in Virginia tried to trick Chelsea into nailing Assange—but as she wouldn’t they stuck her in jail—as you see she has already spoken about what she did many times—but apparently secret courts want to write the script, which Chelsea wouldn’t go along with-------so here we are in the weird 'ol USA pretending to be a democratic republic again---------but as we see what this nation is doing to the world----it’s impossible to believe any charges against anyone—TRUTH and JUSTICE are unknown qualities now, as this nation won’t even keep its agreements with other nations-------so WE know right away, that we the People are just as easily tossed away as the treaties and agreements. It’s a sad ending fo a nation-------but maybe that’s best for the planet. : )

1 Like