Home | About | Donate

'Chilling': Mississippi City Claims Undocumented Man Killed by Police Had No Constitutional Rights

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/09/30/chilling-mississippi-city-claims-undocumented-man-killed-police-had-no

1 Like

This is the future, where rights are based on wealth alone.

1 Like

About as Fascist as one can imagine.

Now if a US Citizen was visiting France and a person shot him dead, these guys in Mississippi would agree that the American had absolutely no rights and could be shot at will?

9 Likes

“…rights?, we don’t need no stinking rights…”

POC have known this since time began, they say someday things will change, sorry, all my change goes into that dish in the drawer.

2 Likes

Murder is an internationally recognized sort of a thing.

2 Likes

Hi SuspiraDeProfundis:

That is what I was thinking-- will -tourists have no rights either in America? What happened in Minnesota after the policeman killed the lady that had called in the problem. Wasn’t she an Australian who was here to get married? Minnesota has different rules than Mississippi I guess.
Well ATTENTION world—it’s best not to be a tourist in America now because if Mississippi can pull this murder off, and set a precedent---------then maybe tourists won’t want to come here at all. When tourists become illegal alien targets , then America is truly over. Yep I can hear Disney stock crashing now! Whoa, there goes Carnival too!

2 Likes

People have no human rights. Odd thing to say.

2 Likes

What makes this case of execution by police of Ismael Lopez particularly chilling is that once again the “Law And Shoot” school of injustice is claiming that non citizens can be denied their basic human rights through police executions. The first nine amendments to the Constitution are clearly concerned, to one degree or another, with protections from the government that We, The People are entitled to. Amendment IV is particularly applicable here: “The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.” With the militarized police now conducting the so-called no knock and often warrantless searches it is almost routine that victims such as Lopez and even members of the majority Caucasian race are being routinely produced. Most often, as here, these searches/invasions are conducted at the wrong address and against innocent parties not even the target of the paramilitary police operation.

Following the basic social contract codified as law is essential to a Free People. According to the website “The Free Thought Project” published in 2014 being a police officer is not nearly as dangerous as it is promoted to be (I lost my youngest brother as a result of an undercover operation when he infiltrated a drug cartel operation as an officer.):

"In fact cops don’t even rank in the top 10 most dangerous jobs in the country according to The Bureau of Labor Statistics.

What exactly is more dangerous than being a cop? For starters, a trash collector is twice as likely to die on the job versus a cop, fishing is 7 times more dangerous than being a cop, and logging workers, nearly 9 times more dangerous.

Here are occupations more dangerous than being a police officer. Number of deaths per 100,000 employed:

1. Logging workers: 127.8
  2. Fishermen: 117.0
  3. Aircraft pilots: 53.4
  4. Roofers: 40.5
  5. Garbage collectors: 36.8
  6. Electrical power line installation/repair: 29.8
  7. Truck drivers: 22.8
  8. Oil and gas extraction: 21.9
  9. Farmers and ranchers: 21.3
  10. Construction workers: 17.4
    The majority of police deaths are not as a result of violence in the line of duty either, most have occurred accidentally rather than feloniously. Most police officers die, not in some heroic high speed pursuit of a child murderer, but in routine traffic accidents."

Another point made in other articles about the murder of Lopez is that he was shot in the back of the head. Apparently the militarized police now possess some amazing bullet technology. Bullets that can make a u turn and strike their target in the back of the head. Keeping the police disciplined in their service to We, The People has always been difficult. That is why there was a series of SCOTUS decisions clarifying the Constitution Rights of those accused of a crime. I grew up on the Texas Gulf Coast and a couple of classmates lost their fathers to accidents on their shrimp boats. We had a candidate running for county sheriff who was murdered on his way home after a political rally when the local polls indicated he was about to become the new sheriff. But we did not have a police officer die at the hand of someone that they were sent to “arrest”. Yes we should be outraged at the murder of Lopez. We should be outraged by and demand a stop to the frequent murder of young people of color and poor whites by police officers. However, unless we reverse the militarization of the police the total control of a hard totalitarian state will be cemented in place.

2 Likes

Woody and Juliette, my heroes.

It’s interesting to note that most of the dangerous jobs on that list are jobs that destroy the biosphere. Karma!

1 Like

Can you say: Sieg Heil ?

1 Like

Killing ‘illegals’ is legal. However, to show that we are reasonable and don’t want this to get out of control, those who are not ‘law enforcement officers’ shall be required to obtain hunting licenses for them and we will limit ‘tags’ to 100 per year per hunter and charge $100 per tag.

Sidenote: Killing brown people who are not ‘illegal’ shall be punished as a misdemeanor with a $200 fine per incident.

/s

1 Like

Tourists are documented by tourist visas so your comparison is off the mark.

What I want to know are the grounds on which a grand jury declined to indite the officers who shot Lopez.

Hi SkepticTanl:
Thank you and that may be true, but in America people, including tourists, are attacked because they seem different: in language, custom, or appearance. In case you have missed the many offenses. the police act first and then think. Although as awful as their thoughts are, they most often get away with what they did. And remember, a person doesn’t have to have an accent or different clothing to be attacked: Eric Gardener as a citizen is just one example. of how the neo brownshirts are often applauded in America.

1 Like

Grounds?

On the usual “sliding scale” in common law: murder, voluntary manslaughter, involuntary manslaughter and criminally negligent homicide are what we’d expect to see.

Which ones are charged depends on the That depends on the officer(s)’ mental state at the time of- (and/or before) the shooting.

“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.” U.S. Declaration of Independence

“The passage came to represent a moral standard to which the United States should strive. This view was notably promoted by Lincoln, who considered the Declaration to be the foundation of his political philosophy and argued that it is a statement of principles through which the United States Constitution should be interpreted.” – Wikipedia

1 Like

I have known that Mississippi is one backwards state, however, to totally dispel one’s human rights to live, like this states, well, since there’s clearly never going to be any justice here, if someone killed my loved one, I’d seek revenge any way possible.

I’m not advocating anyone adopt this means.

That’s just me.

“And here’s to the land, you’ve torn out the heart of
Mississippi find yourself another country to be part of”
~Phil Ochs

4 Likes

Not surprising at all, Southhaven is a white middle class suburb of Memphis, loaded with repug’s who don’t want to live in the city with people of color. Don’t know what the grounds were, but wouldn’t be hard at all in that county to find citizens to go along with dropping the charges.

1 Like

The line I quoted is from the movie Treasure of Sierra Madre.