Home | About | Donate

Chilling 'Professor Watchlist' Aims to 'Expose' Leftist Educators

Chilling 'Professor Watchlist' Aims to 'Expose' Leftist Educators

Deirdre Fulton, staff writer

"I am dangerous not to America but to the people soon to be in charge of it."

American history has an ugly trajectory and nothing has changed or stopped it yet. We really have to be vigilant and supportive. For some reason that's not happening, or at least, seems not at CD in the comments section where finger-pointing and name-calling are rampant. Where's the solidarity? We either find a way to find common ground or it is going to get even uglier.

To 4thefuture:

George Monbiot has a thoroughly researched article on the many bought and paid for disinformation 'think-tanks' in the US & elsewhere (The Guardian, November 30, 2016).

I'm not sure what you mean by solidarity on Common Dreams ?

Could you expand your thought further ?

Those who put together and promote this list have a very narrow range of ideas they are willing to permit in public discourse (such as in college classes) and are so afraid of other views - they have no trust that their views will be believed in and adhered to. In my view, it shows those who promote the list know they argue from a weak position. How do they justify their desire for freedom and liberty when they don't want the youth to be exposed to a wide range of ideas and viewpoints?

Just wondering: will the Trump Administration enact another commission like in the 1950's House of Un-American Activities that went after communists?

Trump could rename it, maybe something like: The Investigative Committee to stop Terrorism Activities. And subpoena these college professors that are on the "Professor Watchlist" to testify and embarrass them!

Thanks for the link. I'll read it.

The remark you asked me about is based on my concern about the hostility I have seen in many of the comments. If there is to be any resistance to this ramped up state of attack against those most vulnerable, then we need people in all arenas and fora to react with one another in a more respectful way, even when we don't agree with them. I keep hearing calls for resistance and for personal solidarity but I sure haven't noticed any outpouring of human kindness to indicate we have really learned that lesson. It just looks business as unsual when it should be no business as usual in all respects.

That's me. I've been teaching Economics and Accounting at a Community College for the past eight years. I'm just an underpaid Adjunct so perhaps I'll be able to fly under the radar but who knows whether one of my students will call in a "tip" one day and get me fired. Oh well. The job pays crappy anyway.

My now deceased college professor and mentor once told me that, "teaching is a revolutionary act", just as speaking the truth is a revolutionary act according to Orwell. It's what I remind myself with every lecture I write and every post I make on this forum. As an educator, I'd sooner cut my own arm off than stop speaking truth to power in front of my students.

We'll just have so wait and see if that decision has consequences...

This is also related to the "New McCarthyism" and the worldwide propaganda campaign (under a guise) of "Fake News," which will be used as WMD accusations.

“Why, of course, the people don’t want war. Why would some poor slob on a farm want to risk his life in a war when the best that he can get out of it is to come back to his farm in one piece. Naturally, the common people don’t want war; neither in Russia nor in England nor in America, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy or a fascist dictatorship or a Parliament or a Communist dictatorship…Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.”

– Hermann Goering (as told to Gustav Gilbert during the Nuremberg trials)

Maybe it can start by critiquing comments as opposed to attacking those who make the comments.

Let's also make clear that when one is pointing out a difference or disagreeing, they are not being divisive. They do so in the spirit of debate and truth-seeking.

This is not about being PC or having the find a "balance" of viewpoints; when their are clear truths and falsehoods being presented, they should be pointed out and acknowledged.

Yes, this is what he means by "make America great again"...

This young man has raised free enterprise to a religion, it seems, and the list consists of those who have committed blasphemy against his god, the golden calf. Interesting, too, that little Kirk is not a college graduate, so has absolutely no clue what he is talking about--he's just trying to ride the wave, so to speak, get a name, and probably make some money off of people's base instincts. In other words, another zombie-sycophant creep.
"Just four years ago, in 2012—the year Charlie Kirk, then a Chicago-based 18-year-old who skipped college altogether, co-founded Turning Point USA—the watch list would have been great fodder for yuks, on par with David Horowitz’s obnoxious 2006 book The Professors: The 101 Most Dangerous Academics in America, inclusion in which was often a point of pride." Slate Magazine_

We need a list of right wing professors now.

I hope I am wrong and just over reacting, but with the new fascist in the White House, it is not hard to be paranoid!

How come Charlie Kirk and all the other reactionary right wing idiots look like they're made of silly putty?

When I started writing about where I saw us going (back in 1999 and 2000), if we didn't start working to stop this slide, I got a lot of ridicule.
* "You've gone over the top! This is America! Maybe in Germany or Russia, but we are a democracy!" Etc., etc., etc.
* Well, now, it is time to take the bull by the tail and squarely face the situation. This nation is going the way Germany did eighty years ago. We could have turned it around at the turn of the century, but it has been allowed to go on and grow, and I don't know if there are enough people that realize what is in store for us to fight back. Not necessarily with violence, but there are ways to sway the Greedopoly that now runs us, and that has been discussed many times on CD and elsewhere.
* This has turned into a nation of Neimollers, "First they came for...but I didn't because I wasn't... then they came for..." And finally he stood alone, for there was no one left to speak for him.
* We have to keep speaking up for, helping, supporting those who are being targeted. People of all races, all religions, all ethnicity, who make up this nation must stand together under our Constitution, for separated, we fall.
* Right now, the big target is the Sioux and their supporters at Standing Rock. They need our support, our prayers, if we are able, our presence.
* I Stand for Standing Rock!
;-})

You mean, like Obama and other powerful Democrats, having protected the Bush Administration from criminal investigation and prosecution for taking this nation to war based on lies and war crimes?

Like when Obama went after the torture whistle blower Kiriakou, charged, prosecuted and imprisoned him, while protecting the CIA torturers and those who were architects of the program from prosecution?

Tell us your specific critique of Obama having "double downed" on the crimes of the "political right".

First they came for the Muslims; then they came for the Native Americans at Standing Rock; then?-------- Fill in the blank.

"We are a democracy?" When someone that is really for a true democracy, and not a warmonger, like Dr. Jill Stein, loses to a war monger and a fascist plutocrat you have to know this nation is going the way of Nazi, Germany.

Like I have said before: America is a military dictatorship used for all intense purposes to back the hegemony and hubris of it's world wide, US Empire.

The New Deal era from 1935 to 1985 was the ONLY period in Murka that came close to resembling anything like a democracy. Even during that era you had the House UnAmerican Activities Committee, Joe McCarthy, the John Birch Society and others working hard to undermine the emergence of democracy. Four decades ago Justice Lewis Powell and his corporate cronies dealt the blow that put democracy in Murka into an accelerated downward spiral that continues.

If I were Noam Chomsky, I'd be offended that I didn't make the list. Has he retired from teaching? Or maybe Chomsky's linguistics classes don't "advance leftist propaganda". Still, I'd think he'd be on the list, being guilty by association with his leftist writings.

the "New McCarthyism" is more about people who are divorced from reality.....you know rioting in Oregon and chanting how they will not except the results of an election.....Many professors gave the college fellows the day off to 'mourn".....Really