Home | About | Donate

CIA Pick Mike Pompeo Open to Re-Authorizing Torture

CIA Pick Mike Pompeo Open to Re-Authorizing Torture

Nadia Prupis, staff writer

Rep. Mike Pompeo (R-Kan.), the nominee for CIA chief whose confirmation vote is set for Monday, has said he would consider re-authorizing waterboarding and other forms of torture.

"We're Going To Have To Do Things That Are Unthinkable"

"I'd Bring Back a Hell of a Lot Worse Than Waterboarding"

"Torture works. OK, folks? You know, I have these guys—”Torture doesn’t work!”—believe me, it works. And waterboarding is your minor form. Some people say it’s not actually torture. Let’s assume it is. But they asked me the question: What do you think of waterboarding? Absolutely fine.
But we should go much stronger than waterboarding."

The number 1 aspiring terrorist in the world----inspiring terrorist reaction around the world with every infantile knee-jerk statement.

Terrorism--- The unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims. ----Oxford Dictionary

Quote: ""If experts believed current law was an impediment to gathering vital intelligence to protect the country, I would want to understand such impediments and whether any recommendations were appropriate for changing current law."

Meaning: "I am prepared to use the cover of U.S. law to eliminate international laws and conventions outlawing torture.In particular, I find 18 U.S. Code Chapter 113C - TORTURE offensive and I support Republican motions to withdraw from the United nations."

No surprise, the US government conveniently exempts itself for terrorism:

terrorism: “premeditated, politically motivated violence perpetrated against noncombatant targets by subnational groups or clandestine agents, usually intended to influence an audience" - U.S. law (22 U.S.C. 2656f(d)(2))

Maybe under Trump we'll get a more explicit definition. Something along the lines of"

terrorism: “Anything that other people do that we don't like"

I wonder how the future of US torture would have been impacted if US torturers were prosecuted instead of granted impunity by Presidents Bush and Obama.

"Re-authorizing"? Obama's policy was wink, wink and don't prosecute. Nothing was de-authorized to begin with.

The Trump administration seems to have a love for "alternative facts," which is what torture provides. Under torture, it seems most people will give the answers their tormentors want. No wonder Trumpy thinks it is a good thing. Truth is what supports the administration, falsehood is what does not support the administration.

Torture is a terrorist tool of terrorist governments.

Torture is used to terrorize the people into submission.

I guess persistant torture is an effective method of extracting a confession from a suspect whether he is guilty or not of being the perpetrator of a crime. As an eight year old kid I was tortured by an old school teacher into confessing to a "crime" I was not guilty of. Sixty years have passed since then but they've failed to erase the memory of the unfairness of it. I pray for those who choose to apply torture to gain confessions from God's children if there is a possibility they might be innocent. May God somehow be merciful with them.