Home | About | Donate

CIA Torture Unredacted: Four-Year Investigation Reveals What Was Hidden in US Senate Torture Report

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/07/10/cia-torture-unredacted-four-year-investigation-reveals-what-was-hidden-us-senate

8 Likes

One night in October 2001, shortly after al-Qaeda’s alleged attacks on the World Trade Center and Pentagon

CIA and Private Jets – and it now also has drones.
A nine-year covert effort which had scores of prisoners flown around the globe to be tortured in undisclosed sites.

The CIA started by grabbing terror suspects off the streets and transferring them in secret to interrogators in the Middle East. But soon the agency decided it needed to run its own detention facilities, or “black sites”. Over the next few years, it set up a network of prisons and a fleet of private jets to move people between them.

From Middle East to the 'deeply implicated" UK –

records of corporate outsourcing of rendition flights

Secrecy of some held in Afghanistan, some sent to European black sites -
Poland, Romania, Lithuania.
Again, UK ‘deeply implicated in the overall running of the CIA torture network.’

CIA’s ‘War on Terror’: a global programme of systematic disappearance and torture, carried out by the world’s most powerful liberal democratic states in contravention of laws which they purport to uphold. In the face of continued obstruction and denial by the governments involved, we hope that it will stand as a central reference point for all those interested in accountability, truth and the rule of law.

Trust that we’ll also be looking at the actual report –

But, just as a reminder, there was also the General Taguba report –
which backfired on those who wanted the matter of the Abu Ghraib photos silenced.

The US Government Tortures Children - Global Research
*www.globalresearch.ca/the-us-government-tortures… *
The Abu Ghraib photos required silencing. Lt. Gen. Ricardo Sanchez, the senior American commander in Iraq, appointed Major General Antonio Taguba to compile a report based on an investigation of the torture. All Gen. Taguba had to do was to explain away the torture and be promoted from 2-star to 3-star general.

Re: Senate report on CIA torture; US opened gates of hell on …
*tarafits.blogspot.com/2015/01/re-senate-report… *
Senate report on CIA torture; US opened gates of hell on Iraq and its Gulag Abu Ghraib Somebody from CIA had the temerity to try to defend illegal, inhuman, barbarian treatment of prisoners and ordinary people in Iraq and elsewhere, based on their whims, fancies and suspicions.

11 Likes

I hope this doesn’t go into the memory hole, like so much else of our illegal and criminal activities. Also, I hope they have made a number of copies and have stashed them in many secret places. Perhaps some will survive the housecleaning currently going on. Remember, though, that the entrenched “D” & “R” politicians are owned by and work for the Oligarchy, so if the flurry of “investigations” gets underweigh, a lot of information is going to get lost, or “classified,” so we’ll have a rather poor chance of getting at all the truth. But, we’ve got to keep trying. We’ve got a few younger politicians who really seem to believe in the necessity of being in office as representatives of We the People. Let’s help them and support them, for they are sailing near a rugged and rockbound coast, and their charts have been cut up and cluttered by their “parties.” Help them all, but wear your life-vest as well. We could all wind up swimming.
;-})
By the way, good post, Greenwich! Hearts to you!

10 Likes

Let’s at least begin by calling this what it is and has always been - a War of Terror, no a War on Terror.

20 Likes

Greenwich: EXCELLENT POST!

1 Like

Thank you.
The “alleged” you bring up is important (I know you know this), it seems the American people are going to have to be slow walked to the truth of what happened that day, most can’t handle the truth. Refuting this constant inaccurate reporting is the first step in moving the general population to that truth.

3 Likes

Recon –
Thank you for noticing - (smile)
Kind of like 50 years of voting on hackable computers –
It’s there, it’s confirmed – but somehow the public can’t believe it.
Maybe the hardest thing about it is realizing that you’ve been fooled?

5 Likes

Nice follow-up. My takeaway from this as well. We knew there was torturing going on but let TPTB smooze along. We just don’t care (enough) as a whole.

1 Like

The US is not a State party to the ICC and thus puts itself above international law. That makes it convenient to get away with torture, murder, and other atrocities:

6 Likes

gand –

You can’t run a dictatorship without TORTURE –
We had Holocaust in Germany as an example to look at –
There was disdain for the German public and what they allowed to happen –
We were defeated by secrecy which has allowed the criminal wealthy to have
their way –
I’m still hopeful – we have a population now where tens of millions are reduced
to real poverty – the freedom of women under threat by the rise of violence again.
Men and women now beyond slave wages while they see “luxury” stamped on
every new home and every new venture in housing.
And we all recognize that once you have a family, that takes priority.
We can’t any more count the issues we are fighting – we still have a belief in
common sense of leadership and are reluctant to recognize how corrupt and
criminal it has become. It’s one issue – FASCISM. And it’s taking the planet.

5 Likes

Reminds me of the note I placed by a foreman’s desk.
“We don’t care how much you know, until we know how much you care.” Peace

2 Likes

This is important, and thanks to those who did the work.

But as a reminder, much if not most of the torture was done by the
US military (as in Abu Ghraib), not the CIA.

2 Likes

Imperial DNC Princess Pelosi: exactly why was impeachment taken “off the table”?

Complicity to a crime is criminal. Even if YOU don’t think torturing to death is a crime.

2 Likes

Golden –

But as a reminder, much if not most of the torture was done by the
US military (as in Abu Ghraib), not the CIA.

Yes – shockingly, I believe that’s true.

And as time goes by I’m even forgetting how many prisoners were ultimately
at Abu Ghraib – the Taliban was collecting people off the streets and turning
them over to the CIA for payment, as well.

But I do think that it was all done at the direction of the CIA and with the control
they had over the camp and its military leaders?

https://search.yahoo.com/search?p=Abu+Ghraib+torture+under+direction+of+CIA&fr=yfp-t&fp=1&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8

There was a woman in leadership at Abu Ghraib (if I recall correctly) who made some
astonishing statements –

Her name was (General) Janis Karpinski

Janis Karpinski - Wikipedia
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janis_Karpinski *
Janis Leigh Karpinski (née Beam, born May 25, 1953, Rahway, New Jersey) is a career officer in the US Army Reserve, now retired.She is notable for having commanded the forces that operated Abu Ghraib and other prisons in Iraq in 2003 and 2004, at the time of the scandal related to torture and prisoner abuse.

Notice the NUMBERS she reports …

Col. Janis Karpinski, the Former Head of Abu Ghraib, Admits …

www.democracynow.org/2005/10/26/col_janis
JANIS KARPINSKI: At Abu Ghraib alone, the prisoner population did reach over 7,000 by the end of — nearing the end of 2003, but we processed over 40,000 prisoners during the course of the time …

ALSO THIS —

CIA Paid Torture Teachers (PSYCHOLOGISTS) More Than $80 Million - NBC News
www.nbcnews.com/storyline/cia-torture-report/cia
CIA Paid Torture Teachers More Than $80 Million. The contract was for more than $180 million, but the contractors had only received $81 million when their contract was terminated in 2009. Although the committee identified the contractors via pseudonyms, NBC News has previously identified them as Mitchell, Jessen & Associates, a Spokane,…

Actually, we taxpayers paid for the torture and the information from the psychologists who
considered themselves “contractors” to the military.

And, for the record –
and I don’t recall this – but seems CIA had a Manual on Torture they created in 1963 –
they were the Vietnam years and “Phoenix Program” was clearly torture there, as well.

The CIA’s 1963 Torture Manual In Its Entirety, Part I | Stuff …
www.stuffyoushouldknow.com/blogs/cias-1963
The CIA’s 1963 Torture Manual In Its Entirety, Part I. The document was given the codename KUBARK and for decades it served as the standard for legally gray or black interrogation techniques, many of which emerged when the press reported on human rights violations by the U.S. military during the Afghanistan and Iraq wars.
CIA Interrogation, Torture, Assassination Manuals 1963-2009 …
fowlchicago.wordpress.com/2014/12/19/cia
CIA Interrogation, Torture, Assassination Manuals 1963-2009. Torture has been carried out by the US military and US spy agencies and their client states in Puerto Rico, Cuba, Nicaragua, Haiti, Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador, Chile, the Dominican Republic, the Philippines, Indonesia, Vietnam and many other places.

Note the US “colonies” under constant threat from US/CIA —

How is any of this different from what fascists/Nazis did all over the world?

Many pictures here I’ve never seen before –
https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A0geJaVhRSZdrIkA3oJXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEyZzZzdjBhBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjcyMzBfMQRzZWMDc2M-?p=Abu+Ghraib+female+military+in+leadership+there&fr=yfp-t#id=65&iurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.voltairenet.org%2Flocal%2Fcache-vignettes%2FL180xH272%2Fjk-e61cd.jpg&action=close

4 Likes

I voted for Obama because I knew this stuff was going on and I foolishly thought that he would reveal the crimes and go after the perpetrators at the top such as Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, and other high ranking sadists but he was a wimp and essentially an enabler that let us all down and now we have Biden sitting in the wings to continue the farce.

6 Likes

The the download of the report cited here from the Bureau of Investigative Journalism is flagged as “unsafe” by Firefox. just FYI.

1 Like

An important report. If only there were some way to hold this rogue state to account.

At least send it formally to every relevant international body,
and to the legislators of all U.S. ‘allies’.

Actually when the CIA is involved with the military operations, like these, they outrank even Generals. I’m not giving cover to the military, they have their own justice system (UCMJ), and should have been held accountable for their actions, but at the same time the CIA gets to walk away with no accountability at all. You can be sure the “company” was calling the shots with these operations.

4 Likes

“The torture was done”
This type of expose can cause people to be complacent.

1. Was??These sites are not all closed, right?
  2. There is torture in American prisons.
  3. There is torture in mental health facilities.
  4. There is torture in ongoing agency psyops aroid the world.
  5. There is horrific stress for an individual simply from being wrongly institutionalized or accused.
  6. There is torture for the families who have lost important members of their family, or are afraid to communicate with them.
  7. There is ridiulous financial duress to all of the stupid countrie/s who fund these operations.
3 Likes

I would like a serious question in debate about the necessity of war and the necessity of the CIA.

But for now, i think these things for the public will remain in quiet websites.

Even our peacenik Tulsi has a war backgound. Though it was medical, she posts pictures of herself in uniform, a pictorial promotion of war.

1 Like